Portable Butane Gas Heater Issue

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a portable gas heater, which uses a 15kg Butane Gas Bottle. I have connected it up and tried to ignite, have a spark but no flame. On checking the regulator, I can see no rubber washer, which they have on the propane regulators to create a gas tight seal. Just wandering if the seal is missing?

cheers

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Apologies for commenting on the obvious things first alphapets, but can you hear and/or smell gas being emitted after turning the gas valve on (prior to going to ignition function) ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For safety's sake do not fit a rubber washer, LPG will dissolve rubber, it must be a seal specified for use with LPG. (usually Nitrile).

Most modern cabinet heaters, use a special clip on regulator for butane cylinder specially supplied for cabinet heaters. There should be no danger in using a caravan style cylinder but the regulator must be set for the heaters working pressure.

DO NOT USE PROPANE!

The regulator should have a makers name on it, You would be best to check out their web site, or take teh regulator to a local LPG supplier and see what they have to say.

May 15, 2016
Visit site
1k5viobie

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
What sort of ambient temperature are you trying to operate the heater in Alphapets ? - Is it outside or in a very cold place perhaps ?

The only reason I ask is because I’m thinking that this could possibly be temperature related. The boiling point of butane is in the region of -1 degree Celsius, below which, there will simply be no gas emitted from the bottle, and perhaps not enough to consistently supply the heater until the temperature is a good few degrees higher. This is the primary reason that most caravanners choose to use propane rather than butane, as propane has a much lower boiling point and the majority of modern caravan systems are compatible with both, but as Prof correctly says, unless your appliance is specifically designed to be used with Propane, for safety reasons, do not attempt to use it as a substitute.

Hope this helps,

Ic.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
alphapets said:
Not been used in minus temperatures. Can you not insulate the bottle? Cheers

No you cannot insulate the cylinder.
It requires the ambient heat to allow the liquid gas to boil and produce the gaseous gas, but Butane is no good when the ambient temperature is below about 8 degrees in reality as there is not enough ambient heat to draw from.

In the use intended by the cabinet heater makers it should be OK indoors as it is unlikely that the temperature will be less than 8 degrees, however, outdoors there is no hope of it working.

Where are you trying to use it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts