Portable drill

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Draper ,18 volt, two batterys never needed to change one even on a 6 week tour of France new place every 4 days. After the first two weeks. Dont like the screw in pegs, to wobbly for me. Maybe hammer in screw out though never tried that. If its that windy dont put the awning up.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Aldi do a very good 18v non hammer drill for £24.99 1 hour fast charge battery.https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-18v-li-ion-cordless-drill/p/075781120322500

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Another vote for the Stanley Fatmax. My son in law has it at the moment as has moved into new house and the battery seems to go on for ever.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After trying several with with Ni-Cad batteries splashed out on Bosch with Li-ion bttereis - two supplied. 14v against 18v previously but no problems at alll - and I have SWMBO permission to say so as she does the winding.
With higher powered drills be careful with the torque setting as leaving it on maximum can sometimes lift one corner of the caravan when the other three legs are firmly down and I saw this crack the surround of an exterior locker on one occasion.

I guess Ni-Cad are becoming less popular .these days, but a li-ion (complete with spare charged battery would be my choice.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
RayS said:
After trying several with with Ni-Cad batteries splashed out on Bosch with Li-ion bttereis - two supplied. 14v against 18v previously but no problems at alll - and I have SWMBO permission to say so as she does the winding.
With higher powered drills be careful with the torque setting as leaving it on maximum can sometimes lift one corner of the caravan when the other three legs are firmly down and I saw this crack the surround of an exterior locker on one occasion.

I guess Ni-Cad are becoming less popular .these days, but a li-ion (complete with spare charged battery would be my choice.

Another vote for Bosch and twin Li-ion batteries. Again use the lowest torque you can that is sufficient to stabilise the van, to avoid stresses.
Also use the drill on low speed setting. If you use the high speed, the leg will come to a sudden stop, when it is possible to crack the alloy block the steel threaded rod of the steady runs in - I know this!
If you use it on a mover, you'll probably have to use the 'drill' setting, in which case keep your thumb out of the way - without a torque limit on you can get a nasty kickback when the mover completes its movement. (same as using a starting handle for the car for anyone who remembers those!)

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I've recently bought a pair of the Makita 10.8v Drill & Driver sets,

Very compact but very powerful and have done my tin tent legs without issue.

They are Li-ion and come with 3 batteries, ideal for the caravan as very small and neat - also comes in a box or bag whichever you prefer.

have used the Fatmax and also a good product!

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I see Aldi are doing a 16v cordless for sale online now or in store from the 8th for 29.99. these are good drills for the money 1 hour charge.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Marbles007 said:
I see Aldi are doing a 16v cordless for sale online now or in store from the 8th for 29.99. these are good drills for the money 1 hour charge.

I see Aldi are also doing a cordless screwdriver, I wonder if a standard corner steady winder that fits to a drill would fit in the screwdriver chuck (could probaly make it work any way with an adapter).

More compact and less weight than a drill.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/3-6v-li-ion-cordless-screwdriver/p/075871124691900

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Marbles007 said:
I use one at work it ok for small screws but otherwise no guts in it to turn a 19mm nut.

I'm thinking that the 4.5Nm (max) torque is more than sufficient to wind up and down the steady's.

Using the caravan cranked handle , I do not apply any force other than for the steady's to contact the ground.

The steady screw mechanism on my van operates very freely, so I would be using this little tool as a 'spinner' more than anything else.

I am tempted to give it a try, :)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Marbles007 said:
It's a small 1/4 chuck so don't think you will get corner steady winder in.

I agree Marbles, hence me mentioning using an adapter, I'm not at all sure that overall it is a worthwhile idea, I just like the idea of reducing the space and weight taken up by all the extras that I think I ought to carry, the electric steady winder is not really necessary, but there are times when I feel it would be more convenient (like when it is raining).

I will sleep on the idea for now, but I remain intrigued as to how well it would or not work :lol:

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Popped int Aldi today and had a look at the Screwdriver and the Drill on offer.

What surprised me was the fact the drill is so very small in dimensions.

The drill is heavier than the screwdriver, it takes up only a little more space, the weight difference is noticeable, I purchased the drill.

I intend to leave at home the included bit driver and drill set and the storage case ( a large part of the overall package weight), I probably would not need to carry the charger unit as I reckon a fully charged battery will not be depleted even after several outings.

Then again, I must consider the weight and space of an extension socket driver to fit to the steady nuts :eek:hmy: , more stuff and weight to carry.

I suggest it is worth a look, sorry no pic to show scale, but it is a surprisingly compact unit and has a 16v LI-ON Samsung Battery (is that a good thing following the Galaxy Note 7 disaster :lol: ).

It is a somewhat basic drill, 10mm chuck and no hammer action and only one battery, but as a winder for the steady's it would seem to be a more than adequate tool, time will tell.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a nut runner plus a 19mm socket rather than the long steady winder. This is much less cumbersome and enables you to reach in from the side to put down the rear legs if pitched right up to a hedge. Nut runner is a short mit of steel with 1/2 inch square one ind for socket and hex yhe other end size of a screwdriver bit. Toolstation or Screwfix.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
RayS said:
I use a nut runner plus a 19mm socket rather than the long steady winder. This is much less cumbersome and enables you to reach in from the side to put down the rear legs if pitched right up to a hedge. Nut runner is a short mit of steel with 1/2 inch square one ind for socket and hex yhe other end size of a screwdriver bit. Toolstation or Screwfix.

Hi RayS,

Got a link to one of those ?
I don't see what you describe in either Screwfix or Toolstation websites.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts