Portable Generator

I have just bought a portable generator. It says that the output is max 800w but runs mainly at 650w. If I run my mains electric cable from this generator to the caravan, how do I know what it will run? Also will it damage the mains board etc I to much is asked of it?? Thanks in advance!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whatever you do, DO NOT use this type of generator to power your battery charger - or any elctrically 'sensative' equipment such as computers or TVs. It will almost definately destroy them as the output will be very spikey and unstable.

The only things you can run really are lights and 'some' power tools.

To power sensitive electrical equipment you realy need a 1KW minimum INVERTOR TECHNOLOGY generator. These generate at 12 volts and invert the voltage up to mains level - but they also stabilise the output and remove spikes which damage sensitive equipment - however these generators cost from

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello S. Dronsfield, For the most part portable generators are very inefficient at converting expensive petrol to useable electricity, despite the claims for super silent they do make noise, and the fumes are just as deadly as a car exhaust. In general there are far more efficient and quieter alternatives already installed in your caravan, Use gas for the fridge, water and space heating. The only general items that may need 230Vac could be a telly, or computer, and there are 12V to 230 inverters available that will run those items for you.

Having said all that, there are times when a generator is the most effective answer, so it is quite easy to wok out what you can use. All electrical appliances will carry a data plate which will state the power consumption of the product in Watts. Simply add together the items you want to use, and check that they do not exceed 650W. You are not likely to damage the "board, if you over load the generator, but most generators have an over current trip switch that disconnects the 230 v circuit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts