posh caravaners

May 29, 2005
Visit site
I have been a caravaner for about 6 years now,I tow a 1986 ace globtrotter which is in excelent condition with an older car.ive had many a great holidays and lots of fun ,the idea behind caravaning is its fun and should not be that expensive.most the people ive met on sites are realy friendly and great but some (with big new 4x4s and new top of the range vans with all the luxuries of home) seem to look down on folk with older vans .i was just wondering if other folks have come accross this.i take great joy in caravaning and making my own accessories eg water autofillers / aerial poles sourced cheaper than buying from dealer.yet again caravaning should be about getting a little closer to nature.

regards tony b

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I own a two year old car & caravan and it does not bother me what age of caravan other people have. As long as fellow tourers are willing to speak to one another while on site that will do me.

May 29, 2005
Visit site
I own a two year old car & caravan and it does not bother me what age of caravan other people have. As long as fellow tourers are willing to speak to one another while on site that will do me.
i did not mean to categorise people or upset anyone i just think that some people have lost the true meaning of caravan holidays.I love to help people and share advice when and where i can.caravaning and camping should be for all to enjoy and need not cost alot of money.

regards tony b

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony, I'd just like to say, I'm one of the 4x4 brigade, but I have such a vehicle through my business ( self employed ) and you wont find anybody more down to earth than me. I must admit when I first started using my 4x4 for towing my van, I was on web-sites trying to point out to people that I felt I was being made out a snob, simply because of reactions like yours. I am not having a go at you, and your probably right about some of them out there, but we aint all tarred with the same brush. Maybe we'll meet up some time and have right laugh about the what,what,what type.

cheers Geordie.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a 4x4 and a newish van and I take exeption to being labled a snob, we started with an elderly outfit and worked up to our present outfit over a long period of time. The age of an outfit doesnt make you any better or worse than any other vanners.

On what do you base your assumptions?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice one (insert your name here)

This topic doesn't usually come up at all in the forum; indeed, I think you're the first one to mention it...today! Sarcasm? You bet. Tell me bud, if you had the chance, would you not upgrade to something younger or more to your liking? Well, some of us have over the years. I started with van where you had to block off the outside door just to use a porta- poti lav. With 3 children in tow (pardon the expression) and two dogs crammed into a caravan, you would think it unwise at best, sardine at worse.

However, we loved it, and over the years, we went through it all, from damp walls to electrics that, frankly weren't (ha the spell checker let through "weren't" who'd a thunk it!)(doh) but all the time we tried bettering ourselves, looking for that Holy Grail, the perfect caravan and we had it, we finally got there. We have had to sacrifice both money and time, blood and humility. We no longer make storm straps out of the wife's old bra's or got the kids to stand out in the rain holding the indoor aerial just to get a decent picture (still with me dear reader?) We were there, sitting pretty, ha loving it. Then Bailey brought out a new Senator, damn you Bailey!

Ok, to the point. Doesn't matter what you have, what you tow with, what you tow and who you go with. Does not matter where when and how, it only matters to you. That's your world, nobody else's. I have a new caravan and a very good tow car, does it make me a better person (yes, ******, did I say that?) NO. I look at the older vans and I think, "hey I started there, you've got some fun coming your way, hope you enjoy it", no animosity, no looking down on others and no wishing I was elsewhere. 4X4 owner yes, twin axle owner yes, beer drinker with a small erection (it's a porch, I tell ya) yes. Snob..no. Please don't label us all, 6 years of vanning is great, long may it continue, just don't make me give up my Jacuzzi. It's nearly 8 o'clock brandy is taking its toll and Top Gear is on the TV, hope this doesn't offend, I'm just trying to say we live under the same sky.

May 29, 2005
Visit site

This topic doesn't usually come up at all in the forum; indeed, I think you're the first one to mention it...today! Sarcasm? You bet. Tell me bud, if you had the chance, would you not upgrade to something younger or more to your liking? Well, some of us have over the years. I started with van where you had to block off the outside door just to use a porta- poti lav. With 3 children in tow (pardon the expression) and two dogs crammed into a caravan, you would think it unwise at best, sardine at worse.

However, we loved it, and over the years, we went through it all, from damp walls to electrics that, frankly weren't (ha the spell checker let through "weren't" who'd a thunk it!)(doh) but all the time we tried bettering ourselves, looking for that Holy Grail, the perfect caravan and we had it, we finally got there. We have had to sacrifice both money and time, blood and humility. We no longer make storm straps out of the wife's old bra's or got the kids to stand out in the rain holding the indoor aerial just to get a decent picture (still with me dear reader?) We were there, sitting pretty, ha loving it. Then Bailey brought out a new Senator, damn you Bailey!

Ok, to the point. Doesn't matter what you have, what you tow with, what you tow and who you go with. Does not matter where when and how, it only matters to you. That's your world, nobody else's. I have a new caravan and a very good tow car, does it make me a better person (yes, ******, did I say that?) NO. I look at the older vans and I think, "hey I started there, you've got some fun coming your way, hope you enjoy it", no animosity, no looking down on others and no wishing I was elsewhere. 4X4 owner yes, twin axle owner yes, beer drinker with a small erection (it's a porch, I tell ya) yes. Snob..no. Please don't label us all, 6 years of vanning is great, long may it continue, just don't make me give up my Jacuzzi. It's nearly 8 o'clock brandy is taking its toll and Top Gear is on the TV, hope this doesn't offend, I'm just trying to say we live under the same sky.
Hi lol see your point did not mean to offend anyone.as you said most people ive met have been great and ive had a great laugh .just went to one site and there seemed to be a click but its not put me off.i have met a lot of great people in the 6 years and did not look on this side of the equation .call me old fashioned but it must be the today culture as ive seen older folk struggling with the awning and people just walking by/awnings blown up by the wind and people just watching ,if i can i will always offer help i hate to see folk struggling but as you say we are all under the same sky and life would be boring if we were all the same.

happy caravaning tony b

May 29, 2005
Visit site
Tony, how do the people that you believe are looking down on you behave to give you that impression?
hi ray didnot mean to offend i think lol see his reply below has made me aware all folk are not the same and i should not tar all with the same brush just because of one bad experince.

regards tony b

May 29, 2005
Visit site
tony

Mate, I own a 4x4 and a new van I`ve just retired so crack a can with me and help me celibrate. Good health pal
hi tony i did not mean to offend folk.I cant wait to retire the thought of just being able to hook the van up any time i want and go sounds great, the only problem is ive got another 25 possibly 30 years yet to wait.

happy retirement regards tony b

May 29, 2005
Visit site
We have a 4x4 and a newish van and I take exeption to being labled a snob, we started with an elderly outfit and worked up to our present outfit over a long period of time. The age of an outfit doesnt make you any better or worse than any other vanners.

hi del no offence ment .i think lols reply puts both sides over and im sorry if i offended you

tony b

May 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony, I'd just like to say, I'm one of the 4x4 brigade, but I have such a vehicle through my business ( self employed ) and you wont find anybody more down to earth than me. I must admit when I first started using my 4x4 for towing my van, I was on web-sites trying to point out to people that I felt I was being made out a snob, simply because of reactions like yours. I am not having a go at you, and your probably right about some of them out there, but we aint all tarred with the same brush. Maybe we'll meet up some time and have right laugh about the what,what,what type.

cheers Geordie.
hi geordie,

did not mean to offend anyone.

May 27, 2005
Visit site
My Dad and Mum introduced me to caravanning when I was about 8 years old when they got a second hand Ace Globetrotter in about 1965 and we went upto the Lake District pulling it with our Singer Gazelle. The Van was pretty old even then, and Dad had to go to the Trawler shop in Fleetwood to get some canvas to make a bunk bed because the old fabric had rotted. I also recall seeing the inner lining of the roof completely out as he took it off to strengthen the roof when it started to sag. I also recall it was marvellous when he fitted a small gas heater in it to keep us warm. We had to be careful we didn't poke a hole in the mantle when we lit the lights and the water pump was a hand operated one, hot water was heated in the kettle. I am now 47 years old and have just bought my first own (second hand) van. Its marvellous, its got an electric water pump, electric lights working on mains or battery, a fridge and freezer, a flushing toilet, blown air heating, I had no idea vans were so good nowadays, it also has motor mover wheels on it but without those my wife and I couldn't manage it due to its size and weight. Its luxury but it doesn't make me posh, I also have a decent tow car. As far as I am concerned anyone who looks down on someone who does it differently and likes making things up themselves is looking down on my dad and all he stood for in making the best of what he had, which is all I am doing now in my own way. He would have been proud and very interested in the modern vans, and would not think me posh or rash for going for one that is ready to go. "Good Luck to you Lad" is what he would have said. When I think of anyone "looking down" on others it makes my blood boil, similarly its not always wise to jump to conclusions when someone rolls up with a fancy van and nice car (and er. motor movers) , in all things communication is the key, anyway, I am no expert on modern caravanning, we haven't even been away in it yet having only just bought it very recently, I asked the person I bought it from if caravanners still "flashed" each other in acknowledgement as they passed by each other on the road, as we used to do in my dads car, he said he didn't find that nowadays, anyway, as I go down the road I will be flashing in acknowledgement to any caravanner whether they have a top class setup up or a less grand affair. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if I come up against any snobbery, funnily enough one of the things I was wondering was if anyone seeing me moving the van with motor movers would think me a bit of a lazy person, and I am actually quite reluctant for that reason to use them unless absolutely necessary, how stupid is that !! I don't want to be seen as "not a real caravanner" after years of what I considered was "real caravanning" with my parents despite how I might look when I turn up. Funnily enough I was talking to someone who just gave up a seasonal site because they said the people who were taking up the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi ray didnot mean to offend i think lol see his reply below has made me aware all folk are not the same and i should not tar all with the same brush just because of one bad experince.

regards tony b
Tony, I wasn't offended, just interested in why you felt inferior to people who have more expensive toys than you. Having a 4 x 4 myself, but no twin axle van, I was also interested why this group was singled out, presumably people who tow with Jaguars etc, but single axle vans are not posh.

Most people who have the better things in life have worked their way up through the second hand Cortina route over 20 years or so, and just as I expect you will with all sorts of things in life, aspire to better things. Most of us have been where you are. Incedentally my 4 x 4 is a company car so what have I got to be snobbish about?

The amount of fun you have, and the type of person you are, has nothing to do with the price of the car or van.

As far as cliques go, these are sometimes just groups of friends who are together but may seem intimidating. Some club rallies are like that, but that is people, the same thing happens at my British Legion sometimes.

Anyway good luck in your caravanning life, like in all walks of life you will meet nice people and not so nice, people who want to be sociable and those who don't, helpful people and those that arn't. Do your own thing and never feel intimidated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Truth is Tony, I see much of what you describe myself. People can and do keep themselves to themselves while on site, I think its just an unfortunate part of today's society. Well done for getting back to us all though, that's what this forum is all about, throwing your own oar in and putting your point across. It also makes for interesting reading, one way or another

Best Regards

Lawrence

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

No problems, didnt offend me. But what we percieve may not always be what is meant. Enjoy your caravaning .

PS will share a beer anytime if we meet up.

Happy vanning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i started with an old tent i bought of a mate with all the gear,sleeping bags the lot,the tent was about 10 years old but in good nick cost

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I dont think tony was having a go at every one with new vans or cars etc... but we all have to admit we have come across some "snobbys" that like to think there better than you !!!!!obviously Tony was unfortunate to be the one to meet them as they are few and far between !!I have a nice van and car but up to my eyes paying for it !!!! My friend is like tony bought an older one,got ALL the bits thrown in including an isabella awning, he too makes his own containers, aerials etc and has saved a BOMB !!!!and has a whale of a time,we and two others are all meeting up for a weekend,some in tents,havin a laugh and enjoying being alive ... Tony didnt mean any harm !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and i sold our ABI Globetrotter in 2002 and I have regretted it ever since. It was a brilliant van and we had a manual toilet insstalled. The previous owner had installed a small oven. Although there was no shower or even hot water we didn't care. It was a comfortable and cosy caravan. The only reason that we sold it and bought a new Bailey was that my mother had passed away, we came into a bit of money and bought new hoping it would last us ufor the rest of our caravaning days (at present 60 years of age). We have a 1998 Daihatsu Fourtrack, we bought this to replace our troublesome Omega. It was purely a chance finding which led us to the 4x4 rather than another large car. We did not go out intending to purchase any particular vehicle.

As Tina has stated I do not think that Tony had any thought of causing offence and there are many owners of newer outfits who are as down to earth as the majority of caravaners. Why worry about attitude - we all came into the world without anything and we all leave the world in a similar manner. Lets just go out there and enjoy ourselves and our hobby. Good luck to you all whether you are a friendly caravaner with family or a "snob" who does not wish to be associated with us salt of the earth fraternity. Live and let live.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do you think it could be that it is your 'expectation' that owners of certain caravans/cars are going to be 'snobs' rather than the reality? Don't let your expection cloud the reality - there's snobs in all walks of life and they dont all have new caravans and cars!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Do you think it could be that it is your 'expectation' that owners of certain caravans/cars are going to be 'snobs' rather than the reality? Don't let your expection cloud the reality - there's snobs in all walks of life and they dont all have new caravans and cars!
thought caravanning was supposed to be fun ??

seems there is an awful lot of jealousy / bitchiness /one upmanship when you read some of the comments on here.

what difference does it make as to who has what car / caravan ?

You buy what car / caravan you can afford , who cares if it aint as new as "the jones`s" down the road ?

Ive been sat on a site with a clapped out Montego and an early 70s swift surrounded by new vans ,

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon, It's so good to read your post. I too was introduced to caravanning by my parents back in 1967. Back then we pulled a fleetwind van with a Mk II Cortina travelling all over the uk including 2 trips to Scotland. Progressing to an Astral Ranger caravan pulling it with an Austin Maxi. That van went to France, Belgium, Germay, Switzerland and Austria. I am myself now about 46 years of age and our family have had our own van for the last 13 years. We now have a 2004 Abbey GTS Vogue and tow it with an "E" class Merc. ( not new, it's a 96 model) but an excellent tow car.

Going back to the original string, we have experienced a little of what was being expressed earlier in that we feel that some people do not want to bother because of the outfit etc.

I fondly remember the days of toilet tents(if you were lucky), gas mantles and if you needed water you went to the tap in the feild. Another fond memory is the flashing of lights and waving whenever outfits passed. Thanks for reminding me of those times struggling along towing a caravan in the summer with the heater on full blast in the car because the needle was approaching the red zone.

I live in the South Wales area so for most of our weekends away we do not have to travel too far to find a good selection of sites. We are off to Brittanny this year in August so if you are in any of these area's and you do flash I for one would respond.

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
My Dad and Mum introduced me to caravanning when I was about 8 years old when they got a second hand Ace Globetrotter in about 1965 and we went upto the Lake District pulling it with our Singer Gazelle. The Van was pretty old even then, and Dad had to go to the Trawler shop in Fleetwood to get some canvas to make a bunk bed because the old fabric had rotted. I also recall seeing the inner lining of the roof completely out as he took it off to strengthen the roof when it started to sag. I also recall it was marvellous when he fitted a small gas heater in it to keep us warm. We had to be careful we didn't poke a hole in the mantle when we lit the lights and the water pump was a hand operated one, hot water was heated in the kettle. I am now 47 years old and have just bought my first own (second hand) van. Its marvellous, its got an electric water pump, electric lights working on mains or battery, a fridge and freezer, a flushing toilet, blown air heating, I had no idea vans were so good nowadays, it also has motor mover wheels on it but without those my wife and I couldn't manage it due to its size and weight. Its luxury but it doesn't make me posh, I also have a decent tow car. As far as I am concerned anyone who looks down on someone who does it differently and likes making things up themselves is looking down on my dad and all he stood for in making the best of what he had, which is all I am doing now in my own way. He would have been proud and very interested in the modern vans, and would not think me posh or rash for going for one that is ready to go. "Good Luck to you Lad" is what he would have said. When I think of anyone "looking down" on others it makes my blood boil, similarly its not always wise to jump to conclusions when someone rolls up with a fancy van and nice car (and er. motor movers) , in all things communication is the key, anyway, I am no expert on modern caravanning, we haven't even been away in it yet having only just bought it very recently, I asked the person I bought it from if caravanners still "flashed" each other in acknowledgement as they passed by each other on the road, as we used to do in my dads car, he said he didn't find that nowadays, anyway, as I go down the road I will be flashing in acknowledgement to any caravanner whether they have a top class setup up or a less grand affair. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if I come up against any snobbery, funnily enough one of the things I was wondering was if anyone seeing me moving the van with motor movers would think me a bit of a lazy person, and I am actually quite reluctant for that reason to use them unless absolutely necessary, how stupid is that !! I don't want to be seen as "not a real caravanner" after years of what I considered was "real caravanning" with my parents despite how I might look when I turn up. Funnily enough I was talking to someone who just gave up a seasonal site because they said the people who were taking up the

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts