posh caravaners

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
i did not mean to categorise people or upset anyone i just think that some people have lost the true meaning of caravan holidays.I love to help people and share advice when and where i can.caravaning and camping should be for all to enjoy and need not cost alot of money.

regards tony b
Hi everyone

I really dont think this is down to cars/caravans, we have a new bmw 5 series that we love, and an Abbey Vogue, soon to be replaced with a Hymer. We find when we arrive on site other people dont tend to talk to us! we really like a good gossip and find that lots can be learned about the area etc by these means. I think that today so many people dont like to mix either at home or away, its getting a fast and insular world.

Still each to there own, but if anyone bumps into us on site were happy to pass the time of day and often share a nice bottle of red in the sunshine, (if we ever get any).

Maddy

Jun 1, 2005
Visit site
hi i have a 4x4 shogan but i have just bought a 1988 van . Was worried what reaction we will get with an older van but im there to enjoy myself with my kids enjoy the countryside etc. I think that it was at one time the most affordable way to holiday with kids and for me with 4 it still will be. Its like all these things there will always be those who look down on others but as i view it they are the ones with further to fall.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why is everybody so intent on justifying themselves. We first caravanned in 1974 with a Fisher Holivan (garden shed on wheels) pulled by a Fiat 128! Now we have a new Lunar Delta towed with a new Subaru Forrester turbo so what! Time moves on, we are the same people, whats the difference.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wasn't there a sketch in the 60s that included Graham Chapman, Marty Feldman etc where a group of Yorkshire men are chatting and coming up with things such as 'we lived in a worse hovel than that', and 'I dreamed of being able to live in a hovel'. That was done for comedy and all you lot are doing is repeating the sketch.

Fact some people earn more than others. Some people will want to buy a bigger house. Some people will want to smoke and drink. Some people will want to buy a new van and vehicle. Some people can't afford a new vehicle and caravan. Some people do not want a new vehicle and caravan.

Some of you lot seem to be the reincarnation of Mao. We will all go around in little green uniforms. We will all drive the equivalent of Hitlers Volkswagen. We will all be assigned one of Lenins accommodation units etc.

I am a big boy and like to decide how I spend my money and at times the banks money. Ever thought that those with an older caravan may have a 50" Plasma TV, 756 channels of TV, a hot tub etc, whilst those with a new van may have an ordinary TV, just the terrestial TVs and the tin bath that they bring in once a week.

So come on now, unless every aspec of someone elses life is analysed let people buy what they want.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Like many other respondents, my wife Rosemarie and I use a (her) Discovery (purchased to tow her horse trailer, which at 2700 kilos needs such a vehicle) to tow our large twin axle caravan. I'm not sure of the relevance of the fact that we started off with a very small second hand caravan (gas lights, no hot water etc), and worked our way up to the van that we now have, bought over 4 years ago.

I rather resent being categorised as a person, based on our outfit. It says more about the people doing that categorisation, than it does about me.

So next time you see us, with our dog enclosure erected around the awning, and me struming my guitar, come in and have a drink and a sing song, and don't judge people by appearances.

Michael Bird

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
So once again the 4x4 owner gets lambasted. I work for myself and do the kind of hours that would make a junior doctor c**p himself. With hard work comes rewards and I was able (with the help of my wife of course) to buy our first brand new car, a "W" reg. Terrano. Had it fot 2 weeks before some scummy no brained insect (who probably didn't know he should hate 4x4s until the tony b's of this world told him) wrenched off the wing mirror. Upshot was that we had to drive around with the mirror held on with 3 reels of insulation tape for 4 months before we could afford a replacement (from the scrappy).

I'm sorry tony b but if you really didn't mean to offend then you didn't need to mention "big new 4x4s and new top of the range vans", you could have said snobs and have done with it.

I look down on no one and if anyone looks down on me then i don't want them as friends. I would guess the huge majority of caravanners feel the same way an that's why i enjoy it so much.

Jun 3, 2005
Visit site
I'm new to vanning (just acquired a gorgeous compass 556) and very pleased to find this site. I hadn't realised there was all this snobbery. Why should you feel superior just because you've got a 4x4??????????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The general replies here is that people with newer outfits dont feel superior, this then asks the question why do a minority feel inferior .

Snoberry works 2 ways which includes invberted snobbery.

Jun 3, 2005
Visit site
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....this is so boring.....how many times do we need to go over this subject....its CARAVANING for Gods sake!!!grow up!!!!!!
I find your attitude so depressing. Oh, so you have discussed it all before! Must be, oh, so boring for you. What about all the newbies like myself who want to learn more about caravanning and feel as though we are welcome in this forum?

The spirit of caravanning is openness and inclusiveness.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like many other respondents, my wife Rosemarie and I use a (her) Discovery (purchased to tow her horse trailer, which at 2700 kilos needs such a vehicle) to tow our large twin axle caravan. I'm not sure of the relevance of the fact that we started off with a very small second hand caravan (gas lights, no hot water etc), and worked our way up to the van that we now have, bought over 4 years ago.

I rather resent being categorised as a person, based on our outfit. It says more about the people doing that categorisation, than it does about me.

So next time you see us, with our dog enclosure erected around the awning, and me struming my guitar, come in and have a drink and a sing song, and don't judge people by appearances.

Michael Bird
Hi Michael - sorry for the delay in responding to your comments, I've been off line for a few days. Anyway I am writing to thank you for your kind offer to join you for a drink and a song. However, although I do enjoy a drink I am one of the few Welsh males who are tone deaf. As Eric Morecombe stated "I hit the right note but not in the right order". The fact that I am Welsh and cannot sing causes me great embarresment (sometimes I also have difficulty spelling).

Have a great song and a drink and enjoy yourself. Next time you are in this situation just think of me as tone deaf.

Regards Colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael - sorry for the delay in responding to your comments, I've been off line for a few days. Anyway I am writing to thank you for your kind offer to join you for a drink and a song. However, although I do enjoy a drink I am one of the few Welsh males who are tone deaf. As Eric Morecombe stated "I hit the right note but not in the right order". The fact that I am Welsh and cannot sing causes me great embarresment (sometimes I also have difficulty spelling).

Have a great song and a drink and enjoy yourself. Next time you are in this situation just think of me as tone deaf.

Regards Colin
Probably your dog can sing better than me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts