Possible Brittany Trip

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi Everyone
Need your advice again :)
So after everyone’s advice on the possible trip to Scotland, we have decided to postpone that until next year, as the time we were planning did not fit in with the ‘midgefest’ :lol: so we are redirecting our search and thinking of Brittany.
As we only began caravanning last May, I have been hesitant to take the Caravan abroad. When we went to France on previous occasions, my husband was fit and able and he drove, so I’ve only ever been a passenger (hence my hesitancy) :(
But I think I should ‘bite the bullet’ so to speak and consider this as we are looking to go in either late June or first two weeks of September.
I was considering the Plymouth to Roscoff crossing as that would take me into the heart of Brittany and have been looking at the Camping and Caravan site called Les Abers in Landéda, as it’s only about 30 miles from the port.
Just wondered if anyone has been there, or could recommend another site that is quiet(ish) on the coast. We don’t need and prefer no or very little entertainment. Would like full service if possible or at least EHU and reasonable access to beach for someone with limited mobility.
I know this is a tall order but I am hoping that all the well travelled amongst you could give me some advice pleeeeease, Thank you ;) B)

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have used the Plymouth - Roscoff crossing several times. The pleasing thing is the Roscoff ferry port is very rural and so once out of the terminal the traffic is very light. Indeed on your return trip you can see the ferry across fields for some way as you approach! Our first trip we stayed at Ty Nadan , almost due south nearer the coast, we booked with the C&MC and had a pitch alongside the river Elle. At that time as the arrival was late afternoon Brittany ferries included an overnight stop at Municipal de Perharidy which opens out to a silver sandy beach just to the west of the port - don't know whether this still applies. After UK driving French driving is bliss! Enjoy your research and your forthcoming trip!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The CMHC European Guides (France) give lots of information on a wide range of campsites which these days you can follow up on the web and via Forums. The guides also give a lot of additional information about the country you are visiting, laws, tolls, technical, etc. Well worth the price of around £8-9. Even in these web assisted days I never travel abroad without my trusty guide. Bit like Michael Portillo!

Three key tips for caravanning in Europe, but CMHC guide has many many more:

Take the range of electrical connectors and a reverse polarity tester. Kits available on ebay.

If you have an underslung spare wheel, remove it and carry it in the caravan. Even if you were not to change the wheel yourself any good Samaritan would be a lot safer not having to haul the spare wheel out into the European traffic flow.

European gas bottles have different connectors so unless you are going for a long holiday take UK gas. But you will probably use less than you think you need even when barbecuing on those long hot sunny evenings. My BBQ didn't get used in Scotland last year, although I was tempted to use it just to torch a few midges! So its Europe again for us in 2018.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe not for late June but certainly for Sept you should consider ACSI sites. We never used CaC sites in France. So many really good ACSI sites and very reasonable.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, that sounds very encouraging :)
I think Roscoff would be my first choice and I will look up those sites you mentioned, thanks for the advice ;)

audiorob said:
I have used the Plymouth - Roscoff crossing several times. The pleasing thing is the Roscoff ferry port is very rural and so once out of the terminal the traffic is very light. Indeed on your return trip you can see the ferry across fields for some way as you approach! Our first trip we stayed at Ty Nadan , almost due south nearer the coast, we booked with the C&MC and had a pitch alongside the river Elle. At that time as the arrival was late afternoon Brittany ferries included an overnight stop at Municipal de Perharidy which opens out to a silver sandy beach just to the west of the port - don't know whether this still applies. After UK driving French driving is bliss! Enjoy your research and your forthcoming trip!

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for those tips....very useful and I will definitely order that book. This trip is starting to sound easier that Scotland :lol:

otherclive said:
The CMHC European Guides (France) give lots of information on a wide range of campsites which these days you can follow up on the web and via Forums. The guides also give a lot of additional information about the country you are visiting, laws, tolls, technical, etc. Well worth the price of around £8-9. Even in these web assisted days I never travel abroad without my trusty guide. Bit like Michael Portillo!

Three key tips for caravanning in Europe, but CMHC guide has many many more:

Take the range of electrical connectors and a reverse polarity tester. Kits available on ebay.

If you have an underslung spare wheel, remove it and carry it in the caravan. Even if you were not to change the wheel yourself any good Samaritan would be a lot safer not having to haul the spare wheel out into the European traffic flow.

European gas bottles have different connectors so unless you are going for a long holiday take UK gas. But you will probably use less than you think you need even when barbecuing on those long hot sunny evenings. My BBQ didn't get used in Scotland last year, although I was tempted to use it just to torch a few midges! So its Europe again for us in 2018.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you I just googled the ACSI sites, there are some lovely places on there....is ACSI a French version of C&C club etc ? :)

Grahamh said:
Maybe not for late June but certainly for Sept you should consider ACSI sites. We never used CaC sites in France. So many really good ACSI sites and very reasonable.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have only used the St Malo service. The boat gets you in early, so getting away is fairly easy, but there are a lot of roundabouts which can make for slow going.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The ACSI site is a Dutch site. They inspect their sites every year. When you get the book - I think it costs about 11Euros., each site lists the site and other info such as the size of the site and how many pitches etc. We like smaller sites with less pitches. Some of them are huge with hundreds of pitches. We also like sites with not many facilities - quiet. It also lists the size of pitches and the lat long for satnav. Of course they are only really of interest in the low season and the books lists the dates this extends to. Some of them offer the discounted price until the end of June/early July. We never book a site. That way you can drive in, have a look and just leave if you don't like it - which we have done. There is usually another site within a few miles to make this feasible.
We have also used their sites in the UK which makes it really cheap by comparison to CCC or C&C sites with just as good amenities.
HTH,s

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Even if you are not a member of the two clubs you can log on to their foreign touring sections and get details of the sites they offer. Having said that we find the booking service usually saves a few Euros on the pitch fees but probably not enough to make you join unless you book the ferry as well and get a discount there.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Just to clarify, ACSI is basically a discount scheme for non-peak stays at campsites within the scheme. You have to buy the ACSI guide book for around £15, which includes a. tear-out card which you need to show to get the special fixed rate at a campsite. This is usually EU 15; 17; or 19 per night all inclusive for 2 people.

Many of us find it well worthwhile when touring in Europe, but there are also many, many other equally good sites that are not part of any 'scheme'.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, I have never heard of this before, but it sounds really good. Like you, we prefer smaller sites with little or no entertainment, when looking at any sites I usually dismiss sites that have lots of pitches.
I notice you said you don’t book in advance, is that a little risky? :unsure: have you always managed to get somewhere?

Grahamh said:
The ACSI site is a Dutch site. They inspect their sites every year. When you get the book - I think it costs about 11Euros., each site lists the site and other info such as the size of the site and how many pitches etc. We like smaller sites with less pitches. Some of them are huge with hundreds of pitches. We also like sites with not many facilities - quiet. It also lists the size of pitches and the lat long for satnav. Of course they are only really of interest in the low season and the books lists the dates this extends to. Some of them offer the discounted price until the end of June/early July. We never book a site. That way you can drive in, have a look and just leave if you don't like it - which we have done. There is usually another site within a few miles to make this feasible.
We have also used their sites in the UK which makes it really cheap by comparison to CCC or C&C sites with just as good amenities.
HTH,s

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, I will look into this as it definitely sounds worth having :)

VicMallows said:
Just to clarify, ACSI is basically a discount scheme for non-peak stays at campsites within the scheme. You have to buy the ACSI guide book for around £15, which includes a. tear-out card which you need to show to get the special fixed rate at a campsite. This is usually EU 15; 17; or 19 per night all inclusive for 2 people.

Many of us find it well worthwhile when touring in Europe, but there are also many, many other equally good sites that are not part of any 'scheme'.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, didn’t realise you can book ‘the package’ so to speak. If it gives the best deal then it makes sense. Thanks again :)

Raywood said:
Even if you are not a member of the two clubs you can log on to their foreign touring sections and get details of the sites they offer. Having said that we find the booking service usually saves a few Euros on the pitch fees but probably not enough to make you join unless you book the ferry as well and get a discount there.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Jan, if you also get the Caravan and Motor Home European book of site it list almost every site in France, with direction to them and information. With a good map you can plot plenty of nice little sites as well. We never book now, but we normally arrive at site between 2pm and 4pm, giving us time to get to another site if the preferred one is full which has never happened. Almost every town will have a "Municiple" site, which are local council run ones, the idea being from years ago when family would come home for the holidays, and would need some where cheap to stay. Be aware that some sites only offer, 6 amp power but most are 10 amp now.
It is alot easier than you might imagine.
Enjoy.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The only time we had a prob was in Italy and it turned out it was a public holiday so the site was very busy (Lake como (sp). We managed to get a less popular site a few miles away which was great because we met some really nice Dutch people and had a really nice stay.
One of the reasons we never book is that if you have booked and don't like the site it is a bit embarrassing to leave. A couple of sites we visited had a lot of static vans which were really old and gave the impression of a regugee site. We simply looked round and then said 'no thanks' before simply driving back out - one site we didn't like was in Cornwall and the owner really took offence. Still didn't stay though. We leave feedback - good and bad. The good far outnumbered the bad and over the years have made many friends and revisited sites often.
Another of the benefits of ACSI is that you don't visit sites which are full of just British people; although we did stop at one and had neighbours both sides who came from just a few miles of our home!
Much better deal than Camping Cheques.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your reply....I suppose I just need to gain some more confidence :unsure:
I think if my husband was fully mobile I wouldn’t be so hesitant in just travelling with a ‘let’s wing it’ attitude, but because I feel responsible for both our welfare’s I tend to be a bit cautious. It’s at times like this that I wish we had friends who had a Caravan and we could go ‘in convoy’ lol :lol: ...safer in numbers and all that :) But thank you for the advice, I need to ‘man up’ lol although I suppose that should be ‘woman up’ :lol:

Grahamh said:
The only time we had a prob was in Italy and it turned out it was a public holiday so the site was very busy (Lake como (sp). We managed to get a less popular site a few miles away which was great because we met some really nice Dutch people and had a really nice stay.
One of the reasons we never book is that if you have booked and don't like the site it is a bit embarrassing to leave. A couple of sites we visited had a lot of static vans which were really old and gave the impression of a regugee site. We simply looked round and then said 'no thanks' before simply driving back out - one site we didn't like was in Cornwall and the owner really took offence. Still didn't stay though. We leave feedback - good and bad. The good far outnumbered the bad and over the years have made many friends and revisited sites often.
Another of the benefits of ACSI is that you don't visit sites which are full of just British people; although we did stop at one and had neighbours both sides who came from just a few miles of our home!
Much better deal than Camping Cheques.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Fully understand what you mean. We take both ACSI and the club books 'just in case' but can honestly say that we never found any sites where they weren't really nice owners. The ACSI scheme is Dutch and a lot of the site owners are Dutch. I think the Dutch are one of the friendliest people in Europe. I hope you have a lovely trip.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Just a quick question, just looking online for the ACSI scheme, there is a web site ACSI.EU which doesn’t want to load :( but also I noticed the camping and Caravan club is advertising it for £12.99 for the guide, (up to 50% off site fees in low season) would that be the same one? :huh: :)

Grahamh said:
Fully understand what you mean. We take both ACSI and the club books 'just in case' but can honestly say that we never found any sites where they weren't really nice owners. The ACSI scheme is Dutch and a lot of the site owners are Dutch. I think the Dutch are one of the friendliest people in Europe. I hope you have a lovely trip.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Tried the online version one year but couldn't get on with it. Always used the book and left f/b online when we came home. Used to go for 6 weeks every spring. Not sure what you mean by Cc advertising it - do mean the ACSI book? This is the first time in 10 years I haven't renewed my ACSI membership. Planning on trips in the uk this year.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I couldn’t get onto the ACSI website, but yes, I came up with link to both CCC and CMC and it says about joining through the and the card will have both ACSI logo and the club logo of the one you purchase it through :huh:

Grahamh said:
Tried the online version one year but couldn't get on with it. Always used the book and left f/b online when we came home. Used to go for 6 weeks every spring. Not sure what you mean by Cc advertising it - do mean the ACSI book? This is the first time in 10 years I haven't renewed my ACSI membership. Planning on trips in the uk this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts