Potential new caravanners

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We (me, wife, 2 young kids) have just started looking into buying a caravan. Our main reasons are the difficulty and cost of booking normal hotels/cottages etc during school holidays.

However, friends have suggested that, for the cost of a caravan (including insurance and storage), we could have regular holidays on static caravans (which are also much bigger) at the same sites as we would park our own caravan.

I would much rather have our own caravan but they seem to have a good argument - renting a static caravans seem to only cost about double (maybe 3 times) the price of a pitch at exactly the same site.

Does anyone have a good answer to this?

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Neil....It is a good question...but I think in asking it you know what you want to do!

Basically they are two completely different types of holiday. If you want a holiday in a "fixed static caravan" site then thats fine. And, if you just want to go to sites with a "tourer" that also cater for "statics" then it makes no sense to buy a tourer. But, basically this type of holiday cannot really be compared to touring with your own caravan.

You are obviously limited to the sites with static vans whereas with your own tourer there are less restrictions as to where or when you go and there are thousands of sites in the uk alone to visit from the large commercial ones right down to the small farm and country pub sites throughout the uk where you could have a great weekend. Of course touring abroad is something you cannot do in a static.

I think most touring caravanners would agree that it would be much cheaper just to book a static caravan because when you get into touring with your own caravan the site fees might be less but there are many additional costs; capital outlay for caravan, depreciation, suitable tow car, additional fuel, storage, insurance, accessories, etc.

But, the two holidays cannot be compared.

Touring with your own van gives you much more freedom and we have enjoyed it for 30 years. That does'nt mean we don't do other types of holiday but it is something that you must really want to do rather than look at it solely on a financial basis.

We have never regretted going into caravanning, which I admit we did initially because it was a way we could get away with the family more frequently during the year, But, if we all just looked at the financial aspect then I think touring with your own caravan would lose every time.

Think hard about what you want out of your holidays then decide!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'll go along with what Beemermal says, but would just like to add a couple of other things which affected our decision:

The tourer offers you the same accustomed standard of accommodation, regardless of where you are.

If the holiday destination is further afield, you have the opportunity for overnight stops in your own caravan while on the way there.

It's easier to move on if you are disappointed by the surroundings or the weather or, alternatively, to stay longer if you particularly like the spot where you are. It gives you more opportunity for spontaneous decisions.

Static caravans are usually only found in parts of the country where there is a high demand, i.e. typical holidaymaking areas. With a tourer you can also discover those places in between which might be just as pleasant.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You also have all your own stuff such as crockery bedding etc and know whose used it before you!!

My wife has Parkinsons and takes time to adjust to new surroundings but in the van everything is in the same place and familiar every time and its part of the fun customising to make things just how you want them

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Neil, go for the tourer, every time, but please don't become a "seasonal" caravanner, and leave the van on the same pitch all year! They're called "tourers" cos that's what they do!

I'd also suggest that you look out for a second hand van, ideally from someone who is giving up due to age or ill health. That way, you'll get all the expensive gear to go with the caravan. Buying the van itself is just the start!

Go, do it and enjoy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Neil

There have been some excellent answers here

I would like to add that a tourers give you the chance to get away almost at the drop of a hat, just for a weekend or so. I don't gat a chance to do this personally, but some close friends often just hitch up and go off, they don't particularly know where the're going, but they usually end up in the corner of a site or a field and watch the sun go down with a drink of wine in hand.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We would echo all that is said here. We've had lots of holidays in Statics and cottages over the last few years and got fed up with the rip-off school holiday prices (have to go in school hols as we have 12 year old twins and also Claire works in a school). We went to the Isle of Wight for our 2 week summer holiday last year and paid well over

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Just to add my tuppence w'th to this chat.

We have recently bought our first 'van and it's already proving to be a blessing. Both of us have stressful/busy jobs and there's always something to do at home. I'm the lucky one, as I can finish at midday on Fridays, so it's up to me to sort out the packed bags, food and pooch (plus the vino collapso) and get to the car park behind the "Boss's" office to collect her at six o'clock. We can't get too far bfore the CC/CC&C sites close and, to be honest, neither do we want to.

By late evening we are settled and relaxing, with the prospect of no chores beyond sorting out the water & waste (my job that!).

After a couple of years with no holidays (time off didn't line up), expensive holiday homes (not always worth the money), hotels (some great luxury times but the wallet went comatose eventually), we both realise that we have ourselves to thank, for investing in us! Time together and the freedom to go wherever we like.......worth every penny!

Whatever you choose, do it for you and enjoy.

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
All,

Many thanks for your enthusiastic replies - we had some of these thoughts already but it is great to get confirmation and to hear of new reasons.

Now, maybe I could go to the next stage? We've been looking at the caravan itself and after a trip to a dealer and many hours on various websites, we cannot find a layout that we think we want.

Ideally, we have 4 main requirements:

1. Two fixed bunks at the back of the unit.

2. Table and chairs next to them (so the kids can get up and sit/play before we do) and a divider to seperate the bunks and table/chairs from the rest of the unit.

3. A seperate shower cubicle in the washroom because we don't want to trek across a site to use their facilities and we imagine the shower-over-a-sink setup would be difficult (especially for me at 6'2" and ..er... large belly).

4. Budget of

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
...ok, sorry to bother anyone but realised that if I looked at bigger caravans and then try buy used, I should get what we want in our budget...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Neil.....Only one with doom and gloom here...I caravaned for years but the cost of it now is quite obscene...I personally think the caravan industry is killing our pastime,not to mention cost of fuel......I have 15 year old who has had enough touring,despite all his friends joining us...I,ve had lots of vans...wee tip if you are buying avoid the dealers...rip off merchants...I bought van year ago for 14800...dealer offered me 8000 for it,,,sold it privatly...if you buy privatly bear in mind it may still be under manufactureres warranty,worth checking....enjoy whatever y doo m8

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
A vry good question, Neil, and a similar topic was raised on my own forum. My reply read.... (prepare to be suicidal!! lol)

I know many of you have mentioned you used to holiday in cottages and other more expensive places but we've looked for the "bargains" and savers. So....

My way of looking at it would be something like this....

Fuel wouldn't be taken into the equation because in the past, when we used Travelodges, we were driving a petrol car, the last one being a rather thirsty Zafira and whilst we're pulling a load we're now using a diesel so I don't think there's much difference here to bother about. (Not counting rising fuel costs of course!)

Now lets assume we'll go away for 1 whole week (6 nights) per year and 6 short breaks (three night stays) per year. That's a total of 24 nights a year.

So then we would have.....

Cost of Travelodges per night =

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We have 2 girls age 5 and 7 and have had holidays in statics in the past, there is no comparison owning a tourer is more fun for all the family and is cheaper - particularly if you join your local centre and rally - the kids love it.

We have all made friends that we see regularly ( none of those upsetting goodbyes for the kids).

Last year we had 78 nights away on holiday and weekend rallies (a lot of these are on the same sites and pitches that non ralliers pay a lot more for) plus the odd CL for

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil,

We have had both over the years and without a doubt....for us anyway......tourer is the best option.

I only get one weekend in 4 off (Friday to Sunday), so the ability to go away if we want...(our daughter is a school, so mid-week trips are out) and taking into account the weather....is a great benefit......plus you do not get the same view every time........(

Perhaps the most important consideration would be the fees....

With a tourer, you PAYG....with a static...you pay even if you don't go.....

Just did a quick check .....near where we are Touring this year......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts