Powering Van on Drive

Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
I am lucky enougth to be able to store my caravan in my Garden.

I wish to find out the Pros and Cons of leaving the van powered up and the heater running during the winter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too keep the van in the garden and installed an outside waterproof 230v socket just for the purpose of powering up the van(and cutting the grass & hedge says the wife)I run the electric heating in the van for a couple of hours at the weekend to ventilate the van,it can't do it any harm.We also use it as a spare bedroom when we are overwhelmed with the grandchildren,of course we have to sleep out there whilst sons/daughters end up in the house.Still at least you don't have to pay site fees or petrol to tow it anywhere.I suppose the next step is to erect the awning then we could sleep even more!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

I to was unsure if it was wise to maintain power and heating over winter until 2 or 3 years ago whilst in a group of avid caravaners the subject of damp arose ( as it usually does!), several of the group complained of damp in their caravans that had proved costly to repair whilst others reported no problems whatsoever. ? guess who maintained heating over winter?

I purchased a low watt (500w)heater and am pleased to say no damp, no battery troubles ( must be the constant trickle charge) and peace of mind.

John k

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I keep my van at home, and I have always left it hooked up with the heating on. I leave all the internal doors open. I haven't had a problem with damp, and the battery is going into its 5th year - and still powers the motor mover up the drive.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We bought a Bailey van in April this year, which came with a Status ariel. When turning it on we find that it gives no better (in fact I was say slightly worse) picture than when the tv is on its own ariel. Other then the obvious answer that it is broke, has anyone got any hints or tips that we could try whilst the van is parked up?? Any advice would be most welcome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts