Powertouch Mover packed up as we were about to go away...Not ...

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Since having our Powertouch Mover we have had problems with one of the rollers on the back wheel not moving as we have a twin axle van and 4 rollers. Powertouch changed the circuit board last week and told us all was well. We got the caravan home and put it on the drive for a week. This morning all packed up to go on our jollies the roller packed up on us. We found it difficult to get the van back up the steep drive we have. The roller did work intermitantly but was scuffing the wheel. We are now sat at home and the weekend is ruined. I have lost faith in Powertouch totally.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I always smile when posts appear praising powertouch for the excellent replacement service, i haven't got a clue what reich service is like, because its not failed in 6 years service, but i do have a dodgy key on the remote now, so no doubt i will find out.

We are the same as you, couldn't get the van into the rear court yard with out it.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Maybe there is nothing wrong with the mover but maybe you are expecting too much from it a you say you have a steep drive. How steep?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
one thing i always do is ensure that the tyre pressure is correct, in fact i put 2 psi extra in, it sounds to me like the roller may need adjusting up to the tyre, also we always push the van while using the mover, every little helps and also saves the battery.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
In answer to your reply Ian the drive is steep around 1 in 4 but when the mover works it has no problem getting the van on and off the drive. You can see that the roller works now and then and it is only one roller. This was the reason we bought a mover for a twin axle. We have had the same problem for a while and Powertouch said they had fixed the problem last week. Fingers crossed. Lets watch this space.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Hilda,

It could be a bad connection on one of the ring connectors that attach to the posts on the control board, but it could also be a few other things as well.

If the roller is slipping on the wheel, it would suggest to me that the roller is not adjusted correctly.....or as Ray suggests the tyres are not at the correct pressure. Both are easy to check, First make sure the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. The fitter should have given you a wooden block after the fitting, the block is 20mm across it's widest face and 15mm across it's narrowest, use the 20mm setting and slide the block between the tyre and the the roller (when the roller is disengaged), the block should be a slight friction fit, if it slides in and out easily without touching roller and wheel the mover needs adjusting, equally if the block is to tight when you try and slide it in between then the roller is to close to the wheel.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hilda,

It could be a bad connection on one of the ring connectors that attach to the posts on the control board, but it could also be a few other things as well.

If the roller is slipping on the wheel, it would suggest to me that the roller is not adjusted correctly.....or as Ray suggests the tyres are not at the correct pressure. Both are easy to check, First make sure the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. The fitter should have given you a wooden block after the fitting, the block is 20mm across it's widest face and 15mm across it's narrowest, use the 20mm setting and slide the block between the tyre and the the roller (when the roller is disengaged), the block should be a slight friction fit, if it slides in and out easily without touching roller and wheel the mover needs adjusting, equally if the block is to tight when you try and slide it in between then the roller is to close to the wheel.
check your 12v battery. Movers hammer the 12v lead acid and with intermittent movement this may the cause . The batt sarts off at 12v then the load puls it down to 10v and the whole thing stops, then the voltage goes back up,you get some moevement and it drops etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Phil,

I would say that voltage drop would effect all the motors and not just one!!
Could do if there was a poor connection on the motor spade terminal for instance(higher resistance) but could help to locate such a fault

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys

We managed to move the van just with the front rollers engaged. However you can see that the faulty roller spins intermittently when not engaged on the wheel. So when all 4 are engaged it just sits on the wheel stopping that wheel from moving. We managed to get the van onto the hardstanding on the drive with 2 rollers and a lot of pushing and shoving. The tyres are correct. We are going to the NEC today so we will be having a chat with Powertouch. Thanks for all your inputs though guys.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The fault is from what you have described obviously the motor or its supply.

Its not difficult to find the problem, obviously if the fault is intermittent, that will make the task more difficult. I would have a mutimeter monitoring the motor supply, i am not conversant with the motors, but even if the motors have separate field supplies,(assuming DC motors) and armature feeds it should still be possible to sort, just two meters required, i would set the meters up on the record function.

Having said that powertouch will probably think its easier to change the motor?, as they have already changed the board, i would ask them to send their best electrician.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Watson(JohnG)

28 Feb 2010 08:12 AM Could do if there was a poor connection on the motor spade terminal for instance(higher resistance) but could help to locate such a fault

So that would go back to my first reply where I say it could be a connector.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Just had a thought on this fault, if you swap the outgoing motor cables, on the same axle, if the fault transfers to the other motor, then the motor is proven ok, and the wiring to it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This could be the same problem that I had last year. The rear set of rollers stopped working but I found that if I connected the remote cable up and run it off that it worked OK.

I thought I had a problem with the remote or the signal reception so I rang Powrwheel from Portugal and talked it through with them.

There is a safety circuit in the control box that works to protect the battery when the charge is a bit low, can't remember the figures. In this situation the motors will work normally when you are controlling through the cable remote.

I charged the battery right up and everything worked as it should.

If your battery is fully charged check the spade connections on the motor, they can work loose, just give them a shake.

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
one thing i always do is ensure that the tyre pressure is correct, in fact i put 2 psi extra in, it sounds to me like the roller may need adjusting up to the tyre, also we always push the van while using the mover, every little helps and also saves the battery.
Ray .what did you buy the mover for if you are still pushing the van. Also how can you push the van the rollers won,t go any faster than the motor allows .kinda weard if you ask me .thought thats why we use movers to do away with pushing vans but maybe thats just me ??!!

cheers Duggie

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys

Update. The guys come out from Powertouch come out yesterday and the fault was that the roller had dropped and was loose. The tied it up with cable ties and that was it. unfortunately, this I could not do, being a hopeless women. They did say that if the battery level falls below a ccertain level and they were were called out they would charge me

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Watson(JohnG)

28 Feb 2010 08:12 AM Could do if there was a poor connection on the motor spade terminal for instance(higher resistance) but could help to locate such a fault

So that would go back to my first reply where I say it could be a connector.
True

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hilda,

I find it hard to believe that the roller had dropped and the guy had repaired it with cable ties!. I would speak to Powrtouch and tell them you are not happy especially about the fitter wanting to charge

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I find Hildas' posting very difficult to understand.

Firstly unless the steel roller shroud has broken then a roller simply cannot drop as it is held in place at the gearbox end on a shaft and the outboard end by a bearing in a casting.

The only cable ties are the outer motor ties which hold the boot in place and the brush covers under the boot.

It is true that Powrtouch can charge if they send an engineer and the problem is a flat battery as that is not part of the mover and it is the responsibilty of the owner to ensure there is a minimum of 12v available.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
From my experience with Powrtouch the repair would NOT be anything as "gash" as cable-ties.

My guess is that as a resuilt of a "proper" repair the cable ties to the outer covers have been replaced, the actual work will be hidden.

I was, and remain, exceedingly impressed with the speed and quality of the help I got when I had a problem. Things do go wrong, it is how they get sorted that makes the difference ... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts