powrtouch loud clanking noise

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a Powrtouch Evolution auto, originally fitted to a Bailey Unicorn Cadiz in about 2013, and later refitted in 2017 to a Lunar Clubman. It has never had any formal maitenance, bar a squirt of WD40 on the sliders now and again. It has now developed a very ominous loud clanking noise from one of the movers. This only occurs when the rolleris engaged on a tyre and the caravan moving. Depite the noise it works ok in both directions, but I can't risk going away and getting stuck somewhere. I have ruled out a stone being stuck in the roller, and am a bit doubtful of it being a bearing problem as there is no nasty noise when running the motor un-engaged. I have spoken to Powrtouch who suggest that given the age it might be best to buy a complete new mover. Googling around it looks like a cost of £1200, but as only one side is faulty I would obviously prefer to replace or repair just the faulty one.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Does anyone know if a single unit can be fiited? If all else fails, are there any discount suppliers/fitters out there? (We live in North Yorks)

Thanks for your help.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes, in my case it was a collapsed bearing . Bought the bearings from Powrtouch and did it myself. A moderate job. I had a heck of trouble getting the damaged bearing out of the housing . Would I do it again? Not now .I’d go GSI. Get someone in . Like a Powrtouch approved workshop engineer

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bearings may not make much noise when not loaded. If you aren't confident with the necessary tools I would support Dusty's suggestion. There are helpful videos on Youtube.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would think possibly a bearing, depending on your mechanical ability, ask an AWS tech on their cost to replace bearings, as for Power touch's response about a new unit total rubbish. These unit run for years, depending of course on usage.

Do not spray WD 40 on the sliders, spray with a brake cleaner fluid and then Motorcycle chain fluid which is a very light grease that penetrates as an oily substance then drys to a light grease.

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Thank you to all for the very useful replies in such a short space of time. It looks like the favourite explanation is bearings, but gearbox sounds possible too. I will try to find a Powrtouch local fitter and pick his brains. I an now fairly optimistic I can get this fixed for a lot less than £1200!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts