Practical Caravan forum avatars

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I hope you'll be pleased to learn that you can now quickly and easily upload an avatar of your choosing to use on this forum. Here's how...

When you're logged in, click on the 'Profile' tab at the top of the page. The next page has a blue strip across the top of it which says 'Profile for ' and at the right-hand end of that blue strip is an 'Edit' box – click on the latter. On the next page click the 'Avatar Image' tab, then upload your image.

I hope that works for you – please shout if you have any problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes thank heavens the site has started to ditch it's off beat and unessesarily complicated processes. The use of third party facilities and services sets users open to greater risks of Identiy theft and other abuses of privacy.

I did not open a gravitational account, nor do I use the picture hosting services.

We now need to get the posting of images onto the forum simplified.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did try to download an image but found it exceeded the site limit. Can you advise what we need to get the image down to for downloading.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
I did try to download an image but found it exceeded the site limit. Can you advise what we need to get the image down to for downloading.

If you're using Windows 10, choose your picture from your computer files, double click the chosen image to navigate to the picture editor.
From the toolbar click Edit and crop your picture so maintain the main image but to delete background clutter. Choose 'save a copy' and add the copied edit as your avatar.
My current avatar is originally a picture of me sitting on a seafront bench along with details of the promenade complete with palm trees etc; I cropped it to create a head and shoulders image to fit the avatar.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Parksy said:
Raywood said:

If you're using Windows 10, choose your picture from your computer files, double click the chosen image to navigate to the picture editor.
From the toolbar click Edit and crop your picture so maintain the main image but to delete background clutter. Choose 'save a copy' and add the copied edit as your avatar.
My current avatar is originally a picture of me sitting on a seafront bench along with details of the promenade complete with palm trees etc; I cropped it to create a head and shoulders image to fit the avatar.

Thanks, it worked perfectly.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You're welcome Ray.
Electronic 'cropping' is a really useful digital photography technique.
If you have taken a snapshot of something but it appears a wee bit far away with too much background simply crop the things you don't need and the main image will leap 'forward' to occupy the centre of the frame.
You can still save the original and also save a copy of your edit, and if you click to enhance after the crop the light and colour balances are digitally adjusted to produce a reasonable good image.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi earlier this week I posted a photo as an Avatar and today decided to change it. The new photo loads correctly and I then save before returning to the forum. When I then look at topics I see my old photo next to my name/profile at the top of the page. The new photo is shown against the various subject topics. But then when I exit the Forum and return the old photo has displaced the new photo everywhere.

Is there a glitch somewhere. the new photo is the same size in KB as the old one.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Still cannot get a new avatar to show even though it shows in My Profile and I save it. The feedback tells me that its been saved and updated. Any help most welcome.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
Still cannot get a new avatar to show even though it shows in My Profile and I save it. The feedback tells me that its been saved and updated. Any help most welcome.
Hi Clive.
I've altered my avatar before adding this comment to find out if the problem affects everybody.
Just a suggestion, apologies if you've already tried this.
After you navigate to Edit and then to the Avatar edit and upload your new avatar click the Save button on that internet page.
This will return you to your profile page.
Click on the Save button from the profile page as well and hopefully the new avatar will stay put.
I'm going to go to a different website now before coming back to see if my avatar change has taken effect.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My new avatar has stayed on ok so if my suggestions about clicking both of the Save buttons doesn't work Clive, we'll go through the procedure step by step. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy
It must have been something to do with the photo that I wanted to use. When I went from the PC Avatar to the Pajero a few days back no problem. Then I decided to change the Pajero for another one showing the dogs, that is when I hit problems. So I have just taken a random photo from the Desktop and its worked first time. So the photo of the dogs must be causing the problem. I had cropped it using Picassa but even when I used the uncropped dogs photo it still wouldn't work, kept reverting to Pajero.

I will go back into my original photo library and use Apple Photo to crop and resize it.

Thanks for the help.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy,

have taken original photo into Apple Photo, cropped it and reduced file size. It loads okay and says that its been saved, but when I press the second save the Avatar reverts to the one showing Trigano et awning. There must be something in the file of the dogs that is possibly corrupt. Will play around further today, otherwise will attract some ire for time wasting!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
You're welcome Clive, glad you sorted it all out ;)

Something strange going on. My MAC shows an Avatar with etc random photo that I selected (Trigano pop top awning), yet my IPAD is showing the dogs, which is the one I wanted. Although I noticed that when I come out of Profile to return to the Forum I get an ""oops error 404" message. Wonder whiter the MAC/Safari has an issue. Will investigate later

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
Parksy said:
You're welcome Clive, glad you sorted it all out ;)

Something strange going on. My MAC shows an Avatar with etc random photo that I selected (Trigano pop top awning), yet my IPAD is showing the dogs, which is the one I wanted. Although I noticed that when I come out of Profile to return to the Forum I get an ""oops error 404" message. Wonder whiter the MAC/Safari has an issue. Will investigate later

Strange – we will take a look.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts