Practical Caravan Magazine Saves the Day

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I make it point not to announce our trips in advance, but this year we succumbed to the blandishments in Club and PC magazines extolling the benefits of venturing into a winter wonderland. One where there were clear, sunny frost filled days where you could go out walking in woods or by beaches. Well we have arrived back home from a day early as yesterday gave us a dry, low wind travel window to escape from our Cornish idyll. And last night I slept a blissful 8.5 hours free from the environment within the caravan that resembled turbulence at 30000ft.

Setting off last Thursday it was just as in the magazines, clear and frosty. So much so that de-icing the motor was required, but the journey down was great. The site was good, and we had a nice level pitch so up went the awing. But around teatime things changed and up came the wind and down came the rain. That night 60-70mph winds with T&L, hail etc. next day we ventured out to Seaton Beach (Cornwal) to find car parks under water, the road along the beach fron was awash with untreated sewage. And the beach cafe didnt have pasties on the menu. After another night of wind and rain we ventured into Plymouth and the new National Marine Aquarium was excellent, but the famed Barbican pasty shop was closed for refurbishment. Not to worry I told our granddaughter we can go to the CodFather Fish and Chip restaurant for supper. No, that too was closed for refurbishment. Yet another night of wind and rain. On New Years Eve it was Eden Project, where even at this time of the year the outer gardens were worth the visit and yes the Eden Pasty was open, so hunger pangs were sated. New Years Eve night was not so windy so when we got back from the pub we were determined to see in the New Year. But thank goodness for the heavy rain which thankfully meant we could not watch Graham Norton or the unknown duo put out by BBC. So we dug out a pack of cards with the strap line " A great deal for the great outdoors. These were free some years ago from Practical Caravan magazine. What a life saver they got us through to 2359. Thank you PC.

We are booked for Ardennes and Vosges where the magazines show lots of walkers, BBQs, lake swimming and people just sitting out enjoying food and wine. Tell me it is not a dream?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Clive , hi ,
If it's any consolation we went down there last year for our summer holiday , first time I've ever been to Cornwall , we drove down in unbearable heat but as soon as we started to pitch the weather turned and we had rain and overcast for 12 Days, no sunshine ,was absolutely gutted and that was in the summer !!! :(

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Clive and thanks for sharing. Sorry the weather wasn't on your side, but it sounds like a great adventure nonetheless. And glad to have been of assistance!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Clive , hi ,
If it's any consolation we went down there last year for our summer holiday , first time I've ever been to Cornwall , we drove down in unbearable heat but as soon as we started to pitch the weather turned and we had rain and overcast for 12 Days, no sunshine ,was absolutely gutted and that was in the summer !!! :(

Craig,

Thanks for your support in my hour of need. I cannot imagine what you must have felt having such awful weather in summer. I think I would need counselling via the nearest pub! I should have known better than to go to Cornwall in winter as between the early 70's and mid 80's I moved down to Devon four times for work. Our last home was on Dartmoor and was a cottage which had been rendered. The colour was supposed to be white but it spent most of the year in various shades of green, and even the best weather coat paints didn't have enough biocide to defeat the Devon weather. So staying on a site almost within sight of the Tamar wasn't my best decision. But we actually enjoyed the break, and even our 12 year old "house guest" is now asking "where to at half term?"

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Clive , you wouldn't believe how much alcohol was consumed !! :p
We've ust booked a site up in Scotland for 4 nights 5 days for £82.oo but we have £15.oo of club vouchers so it's making it quite a cheap long weekend for us . Check out the sites that do the kids for £1.oo for half term.

Craig

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Clive , you wouldn't believe how much alcohol was consumed !! :p
We've ust booked a site up in Scotland for 4 nights 5 days for £82.oo but we have £15.oo of club vouchers so it's making it quite a cheap long weekend for us . Check out the sites that do the kids for £1.oo for half term.

Craig
Craig,
Thanks for the tips, but won't they be full of other's kids, who won't be nearly as well behaved as your own kids? :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Our kids on no brother, they have met more kids whilst on sites than I can remember since we have started caravanning only 5 year ago .They're not shy and make friends and makes them happy .

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to ensure "her indoors" doesn't read this post,,I'm trying to get her to try winter trips in our little van,,so this will do nothing to encourage her.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Just avoid school holidays or use an Adult Only site. Don't well the Grand kids . They'll kill me :p

I think that you've misinterpreted what was intended as a tongue in cheek reply to Craig. The emoji is the clue! We actually enjoy taking our granddaughter as it leads us into doing things or visiting places that we probably wouldn't if on our own. And I can't say that we have ever been bothered by kids on sites. Although the sites we choose aren't what Id call mainstream family sites.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that anywhere in the UK is a risk but this looks particularly unlucky. Possibly Glasgow would have been a better bet, it was cold and a bit of snow but we have escaped any serious storms inland although the coast was a different matter.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
I am afraid that anywhere in the UK is a risk but this looks particularly unlucky. Possibly Glasgow would have been a better bet, it was cold and a bit of snow but we have escaped any serious storms inland although the coast was a different matter.

Nice area and good place for New Year, although coming back from Alba via Cumbria in Autumn I gained a DVT. So stopping every two hours and excercsing plus hydrating can make for
disjointed journeys given an aged waterworks system!

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Clive , hi ,

Hi Craigyoung,
We've been to Cornwall many times & would say that for the most part the weather has been favourable! but last summer!!!!!!
You must have been there from around 24th July to 7th August. We were at Hendra Holiday park on the outskirts of Newquay, & I can honestly say that it was the wettest 2 weeks we've ever spent in Cornwall!
When we got home, our answer to everyone who commented on our tan??? was "this isn't a tan....its RUST!"

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Georgieporgie ,
Possibly spot on ! If it is the same time your on about to when we were down there it was the last week of July , 1st week in August , i.e , factory fortnight , 2o16 , wettest holiday ever experienced !! :(

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
2017 We were down Cornwall from the tenth to nineteenth of May that was most probably the worst week we've had down there, what with mists rolling in and rain. Didn't get out for a couple of days, mist so thick, had a job to see van on next pitch. Shall still book again this year. ;)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
2017 We were down Cornwall from the tenth to nineteenth of May that was most probably the worst week we've had down there, what with mists rolling in and rain. Didn't get out for a couple of days, mist so thick, had a job to see van on next pitch. Shall still book again this year. ;)

Mist you say !! We paid over £50 for a family ticket to go and see the airshow down there when we were there supposed to be better than the Sunderland Airshow beside us it was that bad you could not see the runway and not one plane came down to land or a fly by ! proper wash out and very unhappy!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prior to this last visit I was on holiday in Cornwall in around 2003. So I'd better start by putting 2031 into the advanced booking diary.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
Prior to this last visit I was on holiday in Cornwall in around 2003. So I'd better start by putting 2031 into the advanced booking diary.

Advance bookings you say ! I'm in no hurry to go back ; we only went there because of awkward holiday entitlements between me and my wife , get me back to France !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts