Prepaid Cards Foreign Travel

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
We are considering applying for a prepaid card to help pay our way in France this year instead of our Nationwide card. Has anyone had any problems with these, i.e. accepted in restaurants, supermarkets and garages? Comments would be appreciated.

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes we used one for about 6 months last year, it was excepted everywhere we tried to use it no problem, the only downside was the fee of €1.50 to withdraw cash from an ATM. We used Fair FX, but there are quite a few others out there now, one good thing about them is when you load it, that is the rate you get when you use it, unless of course the rate goes up then you lose out, we shall use it again this year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Eileen_5088796 said:
We are considering applying for a prepaid card to help pay our way in France this year instead of our Nationwide card. Has anyone had any problems with these, i.e. accepted in restaurants, supermarkets and garages? Comments would be appreciated.

Eileen
I am interested to know why you would use one in preference to your normal debit card, are they cheaper? In France we tend to put everything on credit cards except when taking out money which we do on our debit cards via ATM's.

David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Like David, we just 'pay' for everything with a credit card, (supermarkets, fuel and restaurants) and pay it off as soon as we can using internet banking, and then use our Nationwide card for cash withdrawals from ATMs. There is a small charge now, for this, but last year we calculated that overall, even allowing for the charges, we were approximately four euros better off on our 'cash withdrawals' compared to the rate we would have got for pre-loading a card before we went.
The Norwich and Peterborough do a 'transaction-free' debit card with one of their accounts, providing you meet the account criteria. We did intend to look at this, but haven't had time this year!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We took out a Caxton FX card when the Nationwide that was one of the few to do free cash withdrawals started to charge. We found the FX card very convenient and it has the added advantage that there is no need to load it with large amounts,we simply load it up before we withdraw the cash and it is instant. If it where stolen or cloned the thief would only have access to what is on the card rather than yoour current account. We now have credit cards from saga and a new card from Nationwide that does not charge (only certain current accounts) for all other spending

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I do the same as David and Val, but I have a standing order at the bank to pay off the credit card every month, whether I'm home or away.If we're away my son checks the total invoice, then rings me. If the total is high, then a quick call to the bank tranfers money from capital. It's a system that has worked for us ever since our debit cards were cloned. We only use Barclaycard now, and debit card fror cash withdrawals, but only from inside a bank.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have used the Caxton FX card for a couple of years and I am very happy with it. The only place it has not worked is at French motorway toll booths - Caxton are aware of this and the problem may now be fixed. Like David, I am happy that any loss thropugh theft will be limited to what the card currently holds and that there is no route back to the supporting bank account.
I keep an eye on the current euro/GBP exchange rates and top up the card by mobile phone when these get more favourable and/or before I want to make a big withdrawal.
You can read all about it on the Caxtonfx website, although this will be down from 6pm today Friday 13th and over the weekend as they are moving offices.

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have just returned from a two week stay in Europe using a Caxton FX card(Euro).
The card was great for preloading at a good rate and then all transactions were free. I used it in cafes garages, supermarkets and in cash point machines throughout France Belgium and Holland without any problems. I never tried toll roads as we didnt travel along any. I will certainly be using it again in the future and as it has been said in previous links there is no bank at the end incase you loose it so once the money on the card is spent then there is no access to your own bank.

The balance can be topped up at any time by yourself very easily whilst travelling as long as you have access to a phone or computer. The main advantage is there is no conversion fee or usage charges as your spending euros. I have used my own credit card in the past and it does attract a fee for conversion and use abroad, there are some that dont charge but most will.

Regards

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
In Spain I can use a U.K. Santander debit card for commission free cash withdrawals - but at Santander A.T.M.s only, others charge - and a Santander Zero debit card for commission free transactions elsewhere.

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your comments which are appreciated. In the past we have used our Nationwide cards but they are now charging 2% on every transaction and over several weeks this does add up. Nationwide have introuduced a card which incurs no charges but you cannot apply for it until your existing card has been cancelled for one year.
In the circumstances I think we might follow other caravanners and apply for a Caxton card - we can always use our Nationwide card on the autoroute.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I wonder if you've read this:
The CaxtonFX Global Traveller offers free ATM cash withdrawals overseas (charges still apply in the UK) and is free to purchase which makes it a great back-up card. The FX rate is set at 2.75% which means you'll pay slightly more than some other cards for purchases overseas, but there are no individual transaction fees so this card could be a top contender IF you get a good exchange rate.
The 'FX rate' is the Foreign Exchange rate, which means you get 2.75% less than the interbank rate. (Which is the rate you'd get using your Nationwide Cards if they were opened pre February 2011).

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
……I agree with Val.

You have to be very astute with these cards as they nearly all have charges that are extremely hard to spot unless you go through all the fine detail.
I continue to prefer the Nationwide Cards as they are up front with their charges and always give the top current exchange rate unlike most other cards.
A one cent lower amount in the exchange rate is a one percent additional charge on the whole transaction.
Cards exchange rates can differ as much as 10 cents for any given day.
I always use their Debit card to withdraw cash and always the full allowable amount to minimise costs.
This is currently around €330

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Only certain accounts with Nationwide qualify for commision free overseas transactions. My wife has one now as her pension is paid in to the NW. Why not get a SAGA credit card (they dont charge commision) for credit card purchases and a Caxton linked to your current account for cash withdrawalls.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I must admit that I've never bothered about the transaction charges on my Barclaycard. In the great scheme of things, when you're on holiday, you spend lots of money. It's the nature of the beast, so are these charges so great? The bank manager suggested I use a FairFX card, but to be honest, it appears to be something else to worry about.
I've just re-read this post, and it sounds as if I'm a wealthy man! I can assure you that that is definately not the case, but I have never bothered about the odd % or two on charges or interest. If the BM tells me I can get a better rate by switching to another a/c, then I let him do it, but otherwise, tbh, I can't be bothered!
We work on the simple principal that when the money runs out, we'll stay at home!
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
emmerson said:
I must admit that I've never bothered about the transaction charges on my Barclaycard. In the great scheme of things, when you're on holiday, you spend lots of money. It's the nature of the beast, so are these charges so great? The bank manager suggested I use a FairFX card, but to be honest, it appears to be something else to worry about.
I've just re-read this post, and it sounds as if I'm a wealthy man! I can assure you that that is definately not the case, but I have never bothered about the odd % or two on charges or interest. If the BM tells me I can get a better rate by switching to another a/c, then I let him do it, but otherwise, tbh, I can't be bothered!
We work on the simple principal that when the money runs out, we'll stay at home!
smiley-smile.gif

In spite of my post about avoiding charges I am pretty much in agreement with you that lifes too short to worry overmuch. We use the longer ferry crossings for this reason since 2 days less driving through Northen France is worth paying a little extra to avoid.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
another David said:
emmerson said:
smiley-smile.gif

In spite of my post about avoiding charges I am pretty much in agreement with you that lifes too short to worry overmuch. We use the longer ferry crossings for this reason since 2 days less driving through Northen France is worth paying a little extra to avoid.
Totally opposite there David. We take the short crossing to get as much driving in as possible. I just love driving in Europe, but in France in particular.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We too use the short crossings (£58.00 return for car and caravan this year in low season, £78.00 in high season, booked through the NEC code back in October), because we too love driving in France! We do non-autoroute generally, and can save up to 250 euros on a return journey by keeping off the toll roads and even more by buying fuel off the autoroutes, as it's often 20 cents a litre cheaper! This more than compensates for the few euros we may be charged for our cash withdrawals by sticking to our Nationwide debit card. We've got two months away, in total, this year - in two separate blocks of four weeks, and perhaps may withdraw cash twice or three times, or maybe four times each holiday - the remainder of the time we pay for purchases, restaurants, and fuel with our Nationwide credit card and pay it back before it starts adding interest. We only spend cash on things like coffees, bar purchases, market shopping, and smaller shop purchases, but everything else goes on the credit card.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having said earlier that i was happy with the Caxton FX card, it was declined at both the Esso Express just outside the port at Ouisterham and at a small Simply supermarket a few miles south - the only filling stations i could find. The Esso station also rejected my NW Visa card. The attendant at the nearby wine store (which is not responsible for the filling station) said the pumps frequently rejected Visa and to try Mastercard, but that didn't work either.
Of all the ferry ports, Ouisterham must be the worst served for a pre-baording refuel; as far as I could see there were none on the approach (from the south) to Caen or between Caen and Ouisterham.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I think it's commonplace for prepaid cards to be rejected in fuel pumps. It's to do with using them on automatic pumps, which 'take' a substantial deposit from the card, I suppose to prevent the possibility of someone filling up and then not having enough left on a prepaid card to pay for the fuel, and if the card balance is not high enough to justify this, and still allow further spending, then the card is rejected. I've seen lots of similar complaints on other forums.
I think it's the same on the peage, where a deposit is taken to ensure there's enough left on the card to pay for the toll.
This is one of the unmentioned drawbacks of using prepaid cards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Val is quite correct - this this from the Caxton website. This seems to mean that you cannot obtain fuel if you have less than 120 euros credit on the card. The 120 euros figure presumably relates to the maximum fuill limit - 99 litres - but at a price from the golden past !
4. Automated petrol stations
Automated petrol stations on the continent usually take a security deposit when you first swipe your card. No money actually leaves your account at this point, but your available balance is reduced.

A couple of days later (it can be up to 15 days), they will process a settlement increase for €120 (for example) which will raise your available balance by €120. Simultaneously, they will process a settlement decrease where they will remove funds from your card to cover the actual amount of fuel you purchased for example €45. In the period between the two your account will appear to have been debited by €120, but it has not.

Only when the settlement decrease goes through has money actually left your account.

This procedure is not unique to Caxton FX cards, or indeed any prepaid card. All cards issued by any institution are treated in the same way whether they are debit, credit or prepaid cards.
ic_toll.jpg

5. Toll booths

Apr 30, 2024
Visit site
Prepaid cards are generally well-accepted in most places in France, especially in larger cities and tourist areas. Supermarkets, popular restaurants, and major gas stations should not pose any problem when it comes to accepting these cards. However, you might encounter some challenges in more remote areas or with smaller businesses, as they might prefer cash or may not have the most up-to-date payment systems.
Thank You,
MyBalanceNow

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My wife uses a NatWest prepaid card for overseas recently in Greece and Turkey. Never had any problems using it. I think she can even take cash out from an ATM with it, but only cash balances on her card. It can also hold money in more than one currency. So in Turkey she had lira and euros.

TRENDING THREADS