Price differences in France

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are currently on grass serviced pitch in Brittany, 20 euros a night, just been to local 'Action' store paid less than 5 euros for 2 litre blue toilet fluid, don't need it yet but at that price it would have been rude not to buy it,store is Dutch based and similar to Home Bargains or B and M, ha sall the usual things like toothpaste etc at less than UK prices, also still rare to pay for parking in this part of France, and diesel at 1.61 this morning.euros that is, som efood items deraer in the markets but overall seems cheaper here, and no pothole seither.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Can make up for the tolls!

Came back from the Loire valley last week and racked up E170 in tolls on the Emovis tag. Quite the surprise :oops:
I would check you have been charged the correct amount (and that your caravan isn't just over the "magic" 3m height) as that seems an excessive amount of toll charge for the distance travelled.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I would check you have been charged the correct amount (and that your caravan isn't just over the "magic" 3m height) as that seems an excessive amount of toll charge for the distance travelled.
A28 appears to be just an expensive autoroute!

1718094276843.png

1718094312133.png

Plus 2 months service charge at E8.40

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just come back from Agde with a 2 litre bottle of blue toilet fluid also bought for €4.84 at Action there. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Buckman I meant I can't comment on the prices of toll roads! Update on cheap Action toilet fluid, using it in cassette now and seems to be working OK, test will be when comes to emptying it,if still OK will plan to bring some some back, Action have a website but don't sell to UK, assume it is a Brexit thing.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Buckman I meant I can't comment on the prices of toll roads! Update on cheap Action toilet fluid, using it in cassette now and seems to be working OK, test will be when comes to emptying it,if still OK will plan to bring some some back, Action have a website but don't sell to UK, assume it is a Brexit thing.
Shudder the thought.:eek:

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site

Doubt it's anything to do with Brexit. Lots of European retailers don't sell to the UK and never have.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So disater strikes, wind got up last night and couldn't get out of the caravan door this morning, the awning had moved in the night and the air pole had dropped trapping us in the van,managed to reach the awning from the window and pull it back.Closer inspection revealed the wind had caused the stitching on the beading to come undone, and left an 18 inch length of beading in the rail without the awning attached,decided on damage limitation and took the awning down ,hopefully be able to get it repaired once back in UK,on a positive note the Dutch toilet fluid has performed well.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
We have been struck by how much cheaper things are down here in Southern Spain, not the coastal resorts but around 90 mins. inland around Ronda.

Diesel is around 20p a litre cheaper than home, two decent coffees come in at less than €4, a very decent meal (tapas with a main) with drinks €35, sometimes even €25, I could go on.

We have not been here in either of our 65 years but coming from Yorkshire I am pretty sure we will be back. (Assuming the place doesn't dry up completely as the drought situation is pretty dire to be frank).

Reactions: Brasso530
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Spain (outside the tourist fly pots) is waaay cheaper than France for almost everything. We have friends in rural Murcia, we regularly dine out when visiting them. Menu of the day is usually 10-12 Euro and often includes a bottle of half decent wine if 2 or more are dining!
The biggest fly in the ointment is the cost of getting there with a caravan! We fly down usually, £80 return for 2 on Ryan Air

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Spain (outside the tourist fly pots) is waaay cheaper than France for almost everything. We have friends in rural Murcia, we regularly dine out when visiting them. Menu of the day is usually 10-12 Euro and often includes a bottle of half decent wine if 2 or more are dining!
The biggest fly in the ointment is the cost of getting there with a caravan! We fly down usually, £80 return for 2 on Ryan Air

We are sans caravan. Though we did drive as the original plan was to bring the dog with us but this changed.

We enjoyed the crossing even though it wasn't cheap. We did comment that we have not seen a single UK caravan since we left the port at Bilbao. I think there was about two on the ferry, but loads of motorhomes and campervans.

And in fact only saw our only other UK registered car down here today after being here a week.

The lack of tolls was a bonus but the A4 is in pretty poor condition compared to what we are used to in France. I did wonder if they would be better re instating tolls and invest in some repairs.

If we come again we would plan to leave the dog (the heat has been pretty intense), this would give us the option of flying and hiring a car here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts