Prime Minister's statement

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you really must take your caravan to be serviced on Monday I'd advise you to have written evidence that your caravan is booked in for servicing on that day.
Expect to get stopped by the police who will need to be convinced that this caravan service is vitally important and must be done now.
Will the dealers collect, do the work and deliver back to you?

Unfortunately there is some inevitable contradiction in the governments message as they try to give a simple message that covers a multitude of social situations. The recent “go back to work“ message does cover vehicle servicing. Caravan servicers cannot go back without vans to service. This is somewhat at odds with the “essential travel“ message, but then so is the “ drive as far as you like for exercise” message. I would second advice to get some evidence in case of being stopped by the police. Provided the servicer can guarantee a contactless drop off and pick up, that should be OK. We are stuck with Covid 19 for the foreseeable; the only way through is intelligent application of infection control, and each of us taking responsibility.
mel

Reactions: Beachball
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I will be taking our caravan this Monday coming for the annual service. I read the instructions that you can now travel as far as you want to providing you keep to the 2m rules when getting there .I also think that towing a trailer/caravan providing you do not stay overnight is ok. Comments.

This activity is neither work or for exercise or essential purposes so it does not fall into permitted activity. It's one of those anomalies where it would be permissible for a dealer to collect, but not for the customer to take.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I will be taking our caravan this Monday coming for the annual service. I read the instructions that you can now travel as far as you want to providing you keep to the 2m rules when getting there .I also think that towing a trailer/caravan providing you do not stay overnight is ok. Comments.

Good for you ... A refreshing change, especially in recent times to read a comment on this forum that doesn’t conform to the media fuelled crusade to destroy the global economy and freedom of civil liberties.

You won’t be stopped by the police. I lost count of the number of cars I passed with more than one occupant towing caravans on my recent 440 mile round trip to West London (the week before last) and my 510 mile round trip to Portsmouth and back on Wednesday (Edit: I did actually check in to the Holiday Inn Express, but after a shower and short rest, decided to travel back home).

I can assure those who continue to hide in their pyjamas behind their iPads and computer screens, quoting statistics from BBC news et al, and who consider their neighbours and anyone else who dares to glance in their direction as a threat to their very existence, that planet earth is still spinning and that whilst they continue to spread fear from ther keyboards, there are a great number of us out there in the real world, pragmatically and safely doing what we need to do so that those same people who right now are concerned about their employment status will still have a sustainable business to return to and be a part of when the man on the telly tells them that everything‘s OK now.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good for you ... A refreshing change, especially in recent times to read a comment on this forum that doesn’t conform to the media fuelled crusade to destroy the global economy and freedom of civil liberties.

You won’t be stopped by the police. I lost count of the number of cars I passed with more than one occupant towing caravans on my recent 440 mile round trip to West London (the week before last) and my 510 mile round trip to Portsmouth and back on Wednesday (Edit: I did actually check in to the Holiday Inn Express, but after a shower and short rest, decided to travel back home).

I can assure those who continue to hide in their pyjamas behind their iPads and computer screens, quoting statistics from BBC news et al, and who consider their neighbours and anyone else who dares to glance in their direction as a threat to their very existence, that planet earth is still spinning and that whilst they continue to spread fear from ther keyboards, there are a great number of us out there in the real world, pragmatically and safely doing what we need to do so that those same people who right now are concerned about their employment status will still have a sustainable business to return to and be a part of when the man on the telly tells them that everything‘s OK now.
Could it be that because so many people were abiding by HMGs requirement to Stay at Home that you were one of those able to go about your business with a reduced risk of infection? The facts speak for themselves not only in UK but in other countries too. Lockdowns do reduce the spread of infection. What is your solution to coming out of lockdown whilst still maintaining control ?

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
What is your solution to coming out of lockdown whilst still maintaining control ?

Hello Clive,

Just to let you know, although it may come as a great surprise to yourself and others, like a great number of people, I haven’t been in “Lockdown”.

I view “Lockdown” as a media inspired, fear-inducing term that has been adopted by those who I referenced in my previous post.

If you’re asking me for a solution to the current situation that’s been created by a complete over-reaction (again, media fuelled) by the government, then I’m afraid it’s not my job to find a solution to that. It’s not my problem, but by golly, I (read we) will be paying for it for a long, long time.

In answer to your opening question ...

“Could it be that because so many people were abiding by HMGs requirement to Stay at Home that you were one of those able to go about your business with a reduced risk of infection?”

The answer is no. Whilst the reduced level of traffic congestion made the journey more bearable than normal, I am absolutely certain that it would have had no influence whatsoever on the already extremely low risk of infection associated with a 510 mile round trip to conduct a 30 minute solo site survey and risk assessment.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello Clive,

Just to let you know, although it may come as a great surprise to yourself and others, like a great number of people, I haven’t been in “Lockdown”.

I view “Lockdown” as a media inspired, fear-inducing term that has been adopted by those who I referenced in my previous post.

If you’re asking me for a solution to the current situation that’s been created by a complete over-reaction (again, media fuelled) by the government, then I’m afraid it’s not my job to find a solution to that. It’s not my problem, but by golly, I (read we) will be paying for it for a long, long time ...
I think that my post recognised that you had not been in lockdown. But like others you have no answers as to how to restrict the spread of a virus, or the more difficult task of trying to return life (albeit very gingerly) to some form of normality. I guess governments could take the 1918-19 approach and let nature take its course.
I agree that we will be paying for this for many years, but it’s probably our only area of agreement.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello Clive,

If you’re asking me for a solution to the current situation that’s been created by a complete over-reaction (again, media fuelled) by the government, then I’m afraid it’s not my job to find a solution to that. It’s not my problem, but by golly, I (read we) will be paying for it for a long, long time.

In answer to your opening question ...

“Could it be that because so many people were abiding by HMGs requirement to Stay at Home that you were one of those able to go about your business with a reduced risk of infection?”

The answer is no. Whilst the reduced level of traffic congestion made the journey more bearable than normal, I am absolutely certain that it would have had no influence whatsoever on the already extremely low risk of infection associated with a 510 mile round trip to conduct a 30 minute solo site survey and risk assessment.

Editing after posting a reply makes it very difficult to have a conversation.
OVER

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I think that my post recognised that you had not been in lockdown. But like others you have no answers as to how to restrict the spread of a virus, or the more difficult task of trying to return life (albeit very gingerly) to some form of normality. I guess governments could take the 1918-19 approach and let nature take its course.
I agree that we will be paying for this for many years, but it’s probably our only area of agreement.

I certainly don’t think it’s our only area of agreement at all Clive ... thinking back through previous posts, we seem to share similar interests in our appreciation of family pets (dogs) and vehicles, and obviously our love of caravanning. The fact that we have differing opinions on this current and most obvious topic has resulted in nothing other than healthy, respectable dialogue.

Just going back to your point ...

”But like others you have no answers as to how to restrict the spread of a virus, or the more difficult task of trying to return life (albeit very gingerly) to some form of normality.”

Considering that it does seem to have been worded in a somewhat slightly condescending manner, I’m a little bewildered as to why you would expect me to have answers to such a question. As it is an area which is scientifically beyond my knowledge and experience, I haven’t made any reference to this point, nor do I believe it is in any way my responsibility to find a solution ...

Perhaps I inadvertently lead you to believe otherwise ?

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Editing after posting a reply makes it very difficult to have a conversation.
OVER

Clive, making a small addition to a post almost immediately after submitting it (using the aptly named “Edit” function) is commonplace and wouldn’t affect our conversation,

On another note, judging by your “OVER” statement in capitals, and considering that this is a somewhat sensitive subject, I see that our dialogue could have the potential to become a point scoring exercise which I don’t believe is in the best interest of either of us, and so with the greatest of respect, I will leave it there.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Good for you ... A refreshing change, especially in recent times to read a comment on this forum that doesn’t conform to the media fuelled crusade to destroy the global economy and freedom of civil liberties........

.........I can assure those who continue to hide in their pyjamas behind their iPads and computer screens, quoting statistics from BBC news et al, and who consider their neighbours and anyone else who dares to glance in their direction as a threat to their very existence, that planet earth is still spinning and that whilst they continue to spread fear from ther keyboards, there are a great number of us out there in the real world, pragmatically and safely doing what we need to do so that those same people who right now are concerned about their employment status will still have a sustainable business to return to and be a part of when the man on the telly tells them that everything‘s OK now.
++

Hello Clive,

If you’re asking me for a solution to the current situation that’s been created by a complete over-reaction (again, media fuelled) by the government, then I’m afraid it’s not my job to find a solution to that. It’s not my problem, but by golly, I (read we) will be paying for it for a long, long time........

It's difficult to decide where to begin with these posts that I've quoted from.
It's so gratifying to know that here in our midst on this forum we have someone who obviously knows so much more about the potential spread of Covid 19 than the sum total of knowledge that that the best physicians and medical scientists that Britain has to offer.

As it happens, I don't wear pyjamas, casual wear is fine for me unless I'm in bed and the computer is off, but as a person with underlying heath issues, and one who knows others who regularly use this forum who have similar issues or worse and with spouses who are also vulnerable I regard the statements that I've highlighted about 'people hiding behind their i-pads' etc as insulting and disrespectful.
Many of us have little choice other than to follow the instructions that the collection of eminent medical scientists have advised the government to impose.
The 'man on the telly' has also told us that that around 34,000 people have died because of Covid 19 or related causes, but I suppose the man on the telly must be quoting yet more media induced terms designed 'destroy the global economy and freedom of civil liberties'.
I'm sure that my daughter in law, a frontline NHS nurse who does many of her 12 hour shifts on ICU in very uncomfortable PPE and who has witnessed many Covid 19 related deaths is over reacting when she comes home exhausted and has to shower immediately she is home, before she can say hello to her 8 year old daughter.
Those of us who have followed the advice and rules laid down to try to keep us alive until a long term solution to Covid 19 can be found know that it's our problem, not anyone else's, but on the off chance that any of us stumble across an advert for a vacancy at Porton Down or any of the laboratories where work is being done to control this infection we'll be sure t point them in the direction of this forum where someone obviously knows more than the scientific community do.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Parksy, I agree with your last post totally, unfortunately in the society we live in, there seems to be some individuals who actually believe that everything they don’t like is a gigantic conspiracy by governments/mega rich people/aliens or maybe even God to ruin our lives, people like David Icke who have crazy theories about everything and people get sucked in and read it as fact, what is a fact is the the people of this country who fought in two world wars gave their lives to give us our freedom to say what we want but unfortunately that also means more and more idiots spouting rubbish on platforms such as this also also have the same freedom of speech, I was a little surprised to come across a conspiracy theorist on this site but there we are freedom of speech rules.

BP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whatever events the Government is involved in, there will be people who suggest there is a conspiracy going on, and to some extent they are right, after all the government is a political beast, and it's political leanings will influence most of the decisions it takes, and for people with alternative political agendas they will inevitably view virtually every government decsison with suspicion.

With this pandemic, decisions have had to be taken to try to manage it, but in each case the information available to inform the decision makers has of course always been incomplete, such is the nature of these emergency situations. The result is: some decisions may with benefit of hindsight seem to have been incorrect, and some people will seek to spin a political conspiracy into it. We are told that the decisions have been driven by the scientific advice, and I suspect that regardless of the whichever political party was in power, the same or very similar scientific advice would have been offered, so I do wonder how different this pandemic would have been handled by any of the other political parties.

That thought is of course academic as we cant go back to try it, and of course the utterances of each party now is based on the knowledge we have subsequently gained, rather than the ignorance that existed at the time.

Conspiracy? No, naivety? Yes

For those who think their activity has no risk, it's worth giving thought to the sacrifices the majority of the population have given: Lockdown has reduced the risk by removing potential hosts from the vicinity in which you do your thing.

It's also essential to remember the people who by dint of contract, vocation, or duty who have continued to provide essential services, that enable you to do your thing.

I wonder how these "I'm alright Jack" people would react if they had contracted the virus and had to be ventilated.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Whatever events the Government is involved in, there will be people who suggest there is a conspiracy going on, and to some extent they are right, after all the government is a political beast, and it's political leanings will influence most of the decisions it takes, and for people with alternative political agendas they will inevitably view virtually every government decsison with suspicion......

..... I wonder how these "I'm alright Jack" people would react if they had contracted the virus and had to be ventilated.
I've nothing against healthy scepticism Prof, and people will often have different opinions when government policies affect our lives for good or for ill.
I wouldn't have responded earlier to the posts that I'd quoted, but the apparent sneering one-upmanship that the comments were couched in went beyond having a different opinion or being suspicious of some government decisions which with hindsight were not the best.
If someone is reasonably fit and their job allows them to work safely with little chance of becoming infected, good for them.
I too can't help wondering if the sneering contempt for those who have been given no choice other than to comply with the instructions that we are given would last if they were in a similar position or if they or their loved ones were in an ICU

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I listen to people who say the lockdown is against people’s rights to freedom etc I have often thought what would be people’s answer be if they were offered all the freedom they had prior to Covid but only on condition that should they or their families who have been infected by them are made aware they would not be eligible for any medical intervention from the NHS should any of them become I’ll due to Covid-19, I know that this would not be a course of action that could actually happen but it does make me wonder if all these moaners would still react to lockdown in the same way, in last 8 weeksmyself and my wife have not been anywhere other than a 20 minute dog walk and someone said to one of us don’t think of it as being being forced to stay at home but rather we’ve been kept safe for 8 weeks, do we enjoy this situation? No absolutely NOT! Do we want to live and see our grandchildren grow older and enjoy their lives? Absolutely YES

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I listen to people who say the lockdown is against people’s rights to freedom etc I have often thought what would be people’s answer be if they were offered all the freedom they had prior to Covid but only on condition that should they or their families who have been infected by them are made aware they would not be eligible for any medical intervention from the NHS should any of them become I’ll due to Covid-19, I know that this would not be a course of action that could actually happen but it does make me wonder if all these moaners would still react to lockdown in the same way, in last 8 weeksmyself and my wife have not been anywhere other than a 20 minute dog walk and someone said to one of us don’t think of it as being being forced to stay at home but rather we’ve been kept safe for 8 weeks, do we enjoy this situation? No absolutely NOT! Do we want to live and see our grandchildren grow older and enjoy their lives? Absolutely YES
I agree with you. We are lucky that our daughter and grandchildren all live within a short walk away. But it’s been 8 weeks of us two talking to each one individually and well distances in the garden or on the front. But it was “legal” as our daughter is community mental health for the elderly. However we’ve yet to see our son in Wales who moved into a new house right in the middle of lockdown, before U.K. (England) and Wales developed divergent views.

There has been a plus side as far as we are concerned. The jobs list since moving home a year ago has been much reduced both in the house and gardens. But it is regrettable that one of the best Springs for years hasn’t enabled people to get out and away whether in caravans, MHs, camping or just holidays wherever. But whatever we just need to keep moving forward.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So, anyway, I'm off to stand outside Parliament with a machine gun in order to protect my precious freedom to infect others...
I suspect that if things ran to the norm your life expectancy and time to infect anyone could be quite short.

Reactions: PTA

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
So, anyway, I'm off to stand outside Parliament with a machine gun in order to protect my precious freedom to infect others...
I thought that the weapon of choice for the protesters outside Parliament was a megaphone. 📣

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
If you really must take your caravan to be serviced on Monday I'd advise you to have written evidence that your caravan is booked in for servicing on that day.
Expect to get stopped by the police who will need to be convinced that this caravan service is vitally important and must be done now.
Will the dealers collect, do the work and deliver back to you?
Thank you for comment . The dealer does not collect/deliver and the journey is about five miles there.
Unfortunately there is some inevitable contradiction in the governments message as they try to give a simple message that covers a multitude of social situations. The recent “go back to work“ message does cover vehicle servicing. Caravan servicers cannot go back without vans to service. This is somewhat at odds with the “essential travel“ message, but then so is the “ drive as far as you like for exercise” message. I would second advice to get some evidence in case of being stopped by the police. Provided the servicer can guarantee a contactless drop off and pick up, that should be OK. We are stuck with Covid 19 for the foreseeable; the only way through is intelligent application of infection control, and each of us taking responsibility.
mel
So took our caravan to service station this morning without any problems . As I said they had a good system running for safety. I just left the whole outfit in the road and they drove it into the service area, wiping I saw my steering wheel and other bits. When they rang for pick up I had to do was revers to entrance and they wheeled it out , connected it up left keys and service sheets inside for what had been done. One thing surprized me was the damp ratings being 8-10 percent, perhaps the warm weather helped .Another thing mentioned was one of my tyres being dated 2017 which I bought early last year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for comment . The dealer does not collect/deliver and the journey is about five miles there.

So took our caravan to service station this morning without any problems . As I said they had a good system running for safety. I just left the whole outfit in the road and they drove it into the service area, wiping I saw my steering wheel and other bits. When they rang for pick up I had to do was revers to entrance and they wheeled it out , connected it up left keys and service sheets inside for what had been done. One thing surprized me was the damp ratings being 8-10 percent, perhaps the warm weather helped .Another thing mentioned was one of my tyres being dated 2017 which I bought early last year.
It’s not uncommon for tyres to be quite “old” when purchased. I try and buy mainstream makes of light commercial vehicle tyres from the larger online suppliers. This way I find they are much newer. My current Hankook Vantra LT were made end November 2016 and I fitted them January 2017.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

In light of the present government regulations concerning travel. I would suggest you have been lucky on this occasion.

It would be very unwise for others to assume that your experience is the way that all attempts to get a caravan serviced will turn out until travel for non essential business is concerned. follow the regulations in place for where you live.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts