Prime Minister's statement

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
In light of the present government regulations concerning travel. I would suggest you have been lucky on this occasion.

It would be very unwise for others to assume that your experience is the way that all attempts to get a caravan serviced will turn out until travel for non essential business is concerned. follow the regulations in place for where you live.
Thank you for your comments. It does seem odd that people are travelling many miles for relaxing!, and having a caravan behind would still seem to be in align with the rules providing you do not stay inside overnight. Just recently because we have been in lockdown apart from this trip relatives have been keeping us up to date what is happening. One instance is one of their neighbours who only the husband goes out for shopping decided to take the family to Hasting , this was a round trip of 180 miles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your comments. It does seem odd that people are travelling many miles for relaxing!, and having a caravan behind would still seem to be in align with the rules providing you do not stay inside overnight. Just recently because we have been in lockdown apart from this trip relatives have been keeping us up to date what is happening. One instance is one of their neighbours who only the husband goes out for shopping decided to take the family to Hasting , this was a round trip of 180 miles.

The rights and wrongs of the way the government has approached dealing with the C19 pandemic will always be challenged in time but with the benefit of hindsight. But that is for the future. We are presently still fighting the pandemic and all of us are beholden to minimise the transmission of the virus. That must entail a reduction of some liberties to minimise unnecessary contacts.

Understandably no one likes to be told to stop doing things they might normally do, but these are not normal times, and it's time to put the wants of self behind and to think of the needs of greater society, to give everyone the best chance they can.

The government has made a series of regulations which have received approval by parliament, which are regulations. I would certainly agree they are not always clear and some are open to wide interpretation, but given that we should all be concerned with minimising the spread of the virus its good sense to apply the least contentious interpretation of the regulation, and advice.

We will constantly hear or read of people who have bent the rules and got away without being challenged. It does not mean its a green light for everyone to do it.

The last government statement

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Published 12 May 2020, say's
"Stay alert
We can all help control the virus if we all stay alert. This means you must:

• stay at home as much as possible
  • work from home if you can
  • limit contact with other people
  • keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)
  • wash your hands regularly
Do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms.

Is your journey necessary?
To help keep yourself and your fellow passengers safe, you should not travel if you:

Before you travel, consider if your journey is necessary and if you can, stay local. Try to reduce your travel. This will help keep the transport network running and allow people who need to make essential journeys to travel. You can reduce your travel by:
  • working from home where possible
  • shopping less frequently and shopping locally"
It is not clear if having a caravan serviced would be considered "necessary" especially as no caravan sites are open at the moment, there is no where to use a caravan, and the caravan manufacturers have announced they have extended the grace period for servicing dates because of the lockdown so it is far from essential to have a caravan serviced now.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have a serviced booked for July although I am not sure if we will be able to go ahead. If nothing else the caravan needs a run, so just hoping.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not intending to make a political statement:-

There have been a series of high profile personalities who have taken decisions to act against the spirit, if not the law of the lock down regulations. Some have paid the price for their actions.

Whilst some of the actions may have been technically legal, they may not have been prudent given the position the person holds, and the public's sense of decency.

Headline titles of regulations give the flavour what whats contained in the regulation, and for most casual users that will be enough, but if you dig down into regulations you will often find there are certain limits, exceptions or loopholes. Often it is only the people who have time or enough money to spend to find these loopholes that can use them and by doing so they look conspicuous and apparently breaking the spirit of the regulation.

Until you have all the specific information (and I'm not claiming that public statements give all the exact information) you cannot judge if their actions are permitted given the specific conditions.

Edit 29th May
We now know the police have reviewed the latest high profile persons actions and on the count of driving 250 odd miles to provide child care and self isolate was not illegal, but the 60 mile round trip to verify eye sight was a minor infringement and not going to be taken further.

In the public's eye view which is fuelled by some of the media seeking "stop press" headlines, the credibility of the government has been dented.

In relation to this pandemic, the big problem now will be a significant number of people who becasue they have seen high profile people apparently breaking the regulations and safety advice, they take actions but for perhaps the wrong reasons.

We have already heard of large gatherings of people in excess of the Government guidelines, and who are ignoring safe distancing advice. I can see their self gratification actions putting more "at risk" people in greater danger of catching the virus.

This is another classic example of how inadequate "common sense" really is and how selfishness is rife despite us all facing this pandemic.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTA and DaveA1
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
In relation to this pandemic, the big problem now will be a significant number of people who becasue they have seen high profile people apparently breaking the regulations and safety advice, they take actions but for perhaps the wrong reasons.
I think people have already started voting with their feet and have decided that the lockdown is, effectively, over. From personal experience, here in the Cotswolds, I am seeing much heavier traffic and an increase in daytrippers.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
We have a serviced booked for July although I am not sure if we will be able to go ahead. If nothing else the caravan needs a run, so just hoping.
I have a service (re)booked in for next week. I haven't heard anything to the contrary from the dealers, but will check before the end of the week.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts