Priority on French autoroutes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Subday Times travel section 10th May included an article with a summary of motoring law in the various european holiday countries.

The introduction included :..."and in France (scarily) vehicles joining the autoroute have priority "

I suppose the very old "priority to the right" convention would give such a situation, but i cannot recall any instance when travelling in France over the past 20 years when a slip road did not have a "give Way" sign or equivalent as you would expect.

I have however, had plenty of instances where vehicles joining from the slip road behaved as if they had the priority - they can't possibly be right, can they ?

G

There is a general rule in France of 'give way to traffic from the right'. It is possible that this is being applied to autoroutes as well, although I can find nothing official.

However, here in the UK we have a law which states that traffic on a slip road should give way to traffic on the main carriageway, but how many times have you seen someone tearing down the slip road and straight in, no looking whatsoever. It is evidently your responsibility to get out of their way, or slow down to allow them in. This will always happen if you have the van on the back.

I suspect that we all have to follow the golden rule. If in doubt, assume the other vehicle will do it all wrong and therefore take avoiding action.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The introduction included :..."and in France (scarily) vehicles joining the autoroute have priority "

This is a load of rubbish. I travel extensively on the French Autoroute system and I have yet to see to see a slip road having priority over the main carriageway. at the end of each slip road is a Give Way [upside down triangle with red outline and white interior]sign with the words 'CEDEZ LE PASSAGE' on it.

Where two autoroutes merge and both previously had priority then the joining one has the yellow diamond with strike out bar before the start of the slip road and again has the Give Way Cedez Le Passage sign.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I would agree with Ray on this one,there was in the past the odd situation where sometimes minor roads had priority at junctions but I think even that has gone now.

G

I fully agree with the legality of the situation, however if you happen to meet the 'dopey Frenchman' or even the 'dopey Brit' isit worth the risk?

I tend to work on the assumption that anyone joining a motorway is likely to not look.

G

Sorry, what is 'rubbish'?

If taking a reasonable precaution that the other driver may, or may not have seen you is rubbish, then good luck to you. Sounds a bit like the pedestrian lying under the car that has just driven over them on a pedestrain crossing and with his last words whispered 'but I was in the right'.

Defensive driving courses always advise you to never assume anything.

Mar 30, 2006
Visit site
IN France, on roundabouts, traffic joining has right of way over the traffic on the roundabout - this applies in URBAN areas, but the rules are the same as the Uk outside of town.

This article you have read sounds like the Peripherique around Paris, where traffic joining the main carriageway has right of way, as the Peripherique is considered the same as a roundabout around the city in the middle. It does catch a lot of people out, and can be quite disconcerting if you are not prepared for it. If you visit Paris, stand and watch the traffic on the Arc de Triomphe, which is a roundabout with no less than 12 streets joining it ~ a daunting prospect if you are driving there for the first time~ but BE BRAVE !! I used to drive a coach abroad, and loved taking up the Champs Ellyses ont the Place de l' Etoile which is the name of the roundabout around the Arc, with the passengers screaming because I didn't slow to give way.... great fun.

So when in France my friend, things are not always as tey seem, or what we are familiar with. Please do your homework BEFORE you go, and have a wonderful holiday.

Kind regards

James

G

In built up area in Belgium traffic from side roads can have right of way joining the main roads. Drivers expect you to know and just drive out without stopping as they assume you will be giving way as required.

Expect the unexpected.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"I fully agree with the legality of the situation, however if you happen to meet the 'dopey Frenchman' or even the 'dopey Brit' is it worth the risk?"

But that could happen anywhere!

And having passed a defensive driving course does not necessarily give you immunity! I know you know that!

G

Evans,

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say.

'but that could happen anywhere'

Exactly. That was the point. Therefore do not assume that just because a French road has a certain sign, that the next person coming through has actually seen it. They may be chatting to their partner about the last episode of Eastenders or whatever. They may just be in a damm hurry and to Hell with anyone in the way. Who knows?

A defensive driving course only identifys areas of potential risk. One of the key parts is to always allow for the other driver to make a mistake, and take as much avoiding action as you reasonably can. That is why it is described as 'defensive'. Immunity or otherwise, does not play a part.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also agree with Ray. I think the problem often is working out the intention of our Frence chums when they join a motorway. Unlike the UK or Germany where drivers accelerate into a gap the Frence tend to amble along and are often at the end of the slip road before they just pull it. What ever the rules it pays to have your wits about you!

David

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
well, for what it's worth, I agree with Scotch Lad 100%

....and I think the British are the worst offenders anyway - they expect you to let them join the motorway even if you are in the inside lane towing a caravan and unable to pull out to the next lane because of faster traffic in that lane. Nowhere else - including France - have I found the problem to be worse than at home - but surely a good driver should anticipate.

Keith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts