Probably another which club question for a newbee

Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
Hi all, were planning on getting our 1st caravan, a simple 2 birth nothing fancy.
For added security & peace of mind we'll join one of the club's but which one?
I'm sure both are similar, we just want small quiet sites new caravaner friendly (dodgy reversing etc) laid-back etc
Offer training/advice on towing etc etc
Any advice
Rob

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Caravan and camping club are maybe a bit more relaxed about van position but the camhc rule is v simple-offside to corner to the peg-and wardens are generally delightful in both-both have little sites too-hard to choose-we are in both and use commercial sites like morris leisure too if it suits!

Reactions: rob39
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
There are a lot of similarities. Definitely mainly the C&MC will be mainly caravans and motorhomes, perhaps recently the number of MH increasing, while the C&CC will have a greater variety of units including tents big and small. If you have a favourite destination you might look to see which has sites that suit in that area. If at Sandringham or Malvern, when the sites are open post Covid, there are sites from both clubs adjacent so you can directly compare quality of pitches and facilities from washblocks to children's play areas to see which you prefer. At the moment you can access both websites along with aerial views of the sites on Google Maps and that might be a starting point. Alternatively join both initially, you then have access to both monthly 'comics' and CS or CL privately owned 5+ pitch sites that are licenced by the clubs, insurance products et al, then keep both or cancel one when you have experienced sites and membership advantages.

Reactions: rob39
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve been a member of both for years now as it opens up the choice of sites and CS/CL. If you only want one then CMHC gives the largest number of sites and CS.

Reactions: Beachball

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rob
Both clubs offer towing training courses and advice, plus caravan insurance, breakdown services etc.
It's true that tent campers can use many C&CC sites and small rural certified 5 van sites, but they are often in a separate area to the caravans.
Unlike the CAMC, many of the small certified sites have washroom/ toilet and washing up facilities which cater for the tenters.
In terms of security, it's rare for caravans to be stolen from sites and many commercial holiday sites have cctv, coded entry barriers and security on site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps also looking at other things both clubs offer. If you want to tour in Europe - then the recovery and health insurances may be better value than those from non caravanning organisations and even for house insurance you may get better cover for long trips.
I've been a member of CAMC nee Caravan Club since the 1960s and still think it's pretty good although slightly concerned about thecurrent trend to be come a travel organisation rahter than a caravan club - these is a difference - and I've seen something similar happen to CSMA now- for some reason ; Boundless.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i have always been a member of the Caravan Club but this last year i am now also with the Camping & Caravan Club (Adults Park Sites) & Best of British

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As others say they are both very similar. The CAMH have a larger choice of sites though but if that is the main reason for joining check out the areas you are interested in and see if one has a better spread. The CAMH maintain their sites to a very high standard possibly overdoing it. The C&CC do a bit less and there facilities tend to be a bit more basic but on neither should there be a problem with standards. Costs are not the cheapest but competitive and sinilar. The C&CC do family deals and reduced rates for pensioners.
On arrival CAMH simply let you choose your pitch from any of the type booked that are free but the C&CC show you to a pitch although they do normally discuss your preferences first and you can reject a pitch you do not like.
You will find tents mixed in with you on C&CC sites which may or may not be relevant to you.
The C&CC takes deposits and needs a 30 day notice for refunds where the CAMH has no deposits and a three day cancelation period. Effectively this means CAMH sites do get booked up quicker and can have very last minute availability where the C&CC do not book up as quickly in many cases. The C&CC also have a far broader range of pitches although this has never been a relevant factor for us.
They both have a broad range of similar services and there is very little between them. In both cases though the services are probably better for caravans than those available outside the clubs.
The insurance services are good but the CAMH is possibly cheaper. The cover with both is generally as good as you will get. They are possibly the best bet rather than going outside for companies you are not as sure of.
The breakdown services also have far more cover than that available outside. The CAMH one is cheaper though.
Both have good foreign touring services and you get discounts on ferries and fixed rates fo campsites which from experience have tended to be bit lower than just going direct.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
As many have said there's not much to choose and in our limited experience the C&CC tend to be a touch more friendly. However there are two downsides of the C&CC:-
They require a deposit when you book whereas the CMC don't but if you need to cancel it must be greater than 72hours before arrival else you will be sent a snotomail;
Many pitches on C&CC sites tend to be smaller than CMC, some (Devizes) only having two lines of stone or similar onto which you must pitch and your vehicle stands on the grass alongside. C&CC also tell you which pitch to use in most cases.

C&CC tend to have some better deals for sites abroad in as much as they have what is in effect a long lasting rally and you can book space as part of the rally to use on your chosen dates. Having said that in France (for example) every city and town and many villages have municipal sites which, whilst not being the bees knees with all manor of facilities do tend to be acceptably clean and competitively priced and often just a short walk into the centre.

But as has been said, if you can afford it join both for a year and find out which you prefer. Simples?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.... However there are two downsides of the C&CC:-
They require a deposit when you book whereas the CMC don't but if you need to cancel it must be greater than 72hours before arrival...

The CaMHC system allows multiple bookings, which some members take advantage of to secure several locations and they can then choose which to use choose leaving the other sites with no income for that pitch and no chance of filling it. And all of this with no cost to caravanner!

This is very antisocial as it locks out other members.
At least with teh C&CC there has to be a financial commitment by the member which is in jeopardy if they don't turn up. In my view a much fairer system for both the sites and the other members.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how far the CAMH lets you get away with the multiple bookings, as if you cancel three times within a year without three days notice you will lose your right to book and have further bookings cancelled, unless you can give a good explanation.
They did say one year that they had also checked for this sort of thing with longer cancelation periods and taken action where needed. It is all conjecture as to what extent this happens but there must be some people doing it.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The biggest problem with the CAMH club is that members book multiple weekends on popular sites well in advance.
Those hoping to stay for a week or a fortnight are denied the chance because of the weekend bookings.
I'm not sure why, but this doesn't seem to happen with the C&CC.

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The biggest problem with the CAMH club is that members book multiple weekends on popular sites well in advance.
Those hoping to stay for a week or a fortnight are denied the chance because of the weekend bookings.
I'm not sure why, but this doesn't seem to happen with the C&CC.

I think that the CCC requirement for deposits helps in this regard. I dont like th CMHC system at all. Although when looking to book the Peak District many sites had pitches available for almost any combination of days in August. Except Chatsworth and Castleton where all weekends were booked.

Reactions: Parksy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that the idea of booking multiple weekends on the C&CC website is not going to happen. To book ten weekends you would be laying out £250 and any not cancelled a month in advance would cost you the deposit. Not many would do that.
My feeling is that the CAMH should put some restrictions on bookings if they continue to manage without deposits. Possibly they could limit the number of bookings before you had to leave a deposit or put a limit on the number of weekends you can have at any given site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts