Problems with my Powrtouch Motor Mover AGAIN!

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
In March 2010 we had a Powrtouch HD mover with electric actuation fitted
to our Bailey Senator Arizona with a view to keeping the 'van nose down
on our steeply sloping drive. It is a biggish 'van and no way could we
push it out without the mover.

We had hoped the mover would provide us with a easy and carefree solution to moving the 'van but that has not been the case.

As you may have read Cary and I have had an awful year during which she
has been battling against unfair dismissal. She finally lost her 14
month battle after loosing her unfair/unlawful dismissal claim at a 2
day Employment Tribunal last Wednesday. In addition her sister is
seriously ill in hospital in Cambridge. We had decided we would combine
a much needed break in the caravan with visiting her sister in
Cambridge.

Yesterday I was working on bringing the 'van out if its winter
hibernation ready for the "off" asap. I had charged the caravan battery
for 24 hours on a smart charger. The battery was showing 12.7v after
charging and so I refitted it to the 'van and routinely then tried the
motor mover. The rollers moved on and off wheels and rotated correctly.
I then tried again just be sure as we've had problems in the past. The
offside roller this second time stuck against the tyre and would not
retract.

There were lots of red lights on the remote so I checked the remote's
battery. The battery tested as okay but I replaced it just be sure with
a brand new one. Still no joy with the offside roller - it remained
stuck on the tyre.

This is our motor mover's "story", in brief, so far:

(1) March 2010 - An incorrectly placed electronic control box, it was
installed behind the heater and had to be moved to a bed box, under
warranty

(2) June 2010 - A failed electronic control box , I missed the 'van's
service appointment because of this despite having taken half a day off
work to take it in. A new box was fitted under warranty

(3) July 2010 - The offside motor bearing was clicking and had to be
replaced, just in time for our 5 week Continental hols, under warranty

(4) August 2010 - The nearside roller would not retract in France - but worked the next day!

(5) October 2010. -The nearside roller would not retract as we were
preparing to go away for our October Half Term hols. A new actuator
motor was fitted under warranty

(6) February 2011 The offside roller would not retract when we were
hoping to depart for a short break. The actuator motor micro-switch had
failed. A new actuator motor was fitted under warranty

(7) Today. It appears that the offside actuator motor, the one replaced in February 2011, has failed again!!!

So, so far we have had 5 service visits control box replaced, a
bearing replaced, 2 actuator motors replaced and it looks like another
motor has failed. Our holidays departures have been delayed 4 times.

I'm sick of problems with the mover - yes they've all been fixed under
warranty but if the current record continues what happens when that
expires!!?? Up to till now the motor move has had relatively light use
but as I have now taken early retirement and Cary is unlikely to get
another job we hope to go away in the 'van more often. To do that we
will need a reliable motor mover to get the 'van out of drive.

I've just spoken calmly and reasonably to a supervisor at Powrtouch re the repeated problems with my motor mover.

He offered me to possible solutions:

(1) To have the electric actuator replaced with a manual actuator

(2) To have an engineer to replace both actuator motors and full check over the mover to check for any underlying problems

Obviously I paid a lot of extra cash for the electric actuators. I
definitely NEED the mover because of the demands of our storage
situation at home. As I am increasingly suffering with arthritis in one
knee I need the mover for that reason too.

For now I have agreed to have the actuator motors replaced again and the
mover comprehensively checked over and PT are trying to arrange a
prompt repair asap. I have, however, clearly stated that this is
conditional on the motor being more reliable or I will have to
reconsider the change to a manual actuation system.

I have, also, however made it clear that I do not want or expect this
situation of repeated breakdowns to continue until we get out of
warranty and I have to start paying for it. In addition I have made it
clear that now we are both "retired" we hope to tour more at length in
Europe and we need the mover to be reliable.

I was wondering if those who have a manual actuation Powrtouch could
comment on how it's like to operate? It is a sad fact that like
everyone else I am not likely to get fitter and stronger as I get older.
I, therefore, don't want to consider a manual actuation system unless I
cope with it.

So input please on manual actuation systems and any other comments.

A PT fitter has just phoned he will be with me in an hour to carry out
the agreed repair. Great response but sadly my problem has never been
with the EXCELLENT aftercare service!!!

Tim

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I have the Powrtouch HD3 fitted to my Hymer with the cross actuation bar fitted so that both movers are deployed at the same time as i swing on the bar. ( that can be done from either side of the van )
Not being a big heavy type of lad
smiley-surprised.gif
who also has Arthritis in his both knees
smiley-laughing.gif
I can manage to do it ok.

So glad that i saved a lot of money & headache by choosing to have the manual actuation system fitted five years ago
smiley-wink.gif

Seem to remember reading that they had stopped retro fitting them due to problems they were having & all of the stock they had were being used for spares
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/74950-powrtouch-electric-actuator/

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Sproket said:
I have the Powrtouch HD3 fitted to my Hymer with the cross actuation bar fitted so that both movers are deployed at the same time as i swing on the bar. ( that can be done from either side of the van )
Not being a big heavy type of lad
smiley-surprised.gif
who also has Arthritis in his both knees
smiley-laughing.gif
I can manage to do it ok.

So glad that i saved a lot of money & headache by choosing to have the manual actuation system fitted five years ago
smiley-wink.gif

Seem to remember reading that they had stopped retro fitting them due to problems they were having & all of the stock they had were being used for spares
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/74950-powrtouch-electric-actuator/
Thanks for that Sprocket
The guy P?T sent has just finished. Two new actuators fitted and working and actuator "slide" oiled.

Now working fine.

Here's hoping!!!

Tim

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear of all your problems Big Tim.

My Powrtouch is now five years old and out of guarantee. The one thing I have noticed over the years is how dirty and messed up the units get. The moving mechanical parts need regular lubrication and cleaning to enable the cross actuator to work easily. I do this exercise four times a year now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had our PT mover fitted to our twin axle Bailey 7 years ago when the van was new,it was fitted on front wheels and apart from new brushes fitted to one motor we have had no problems, the PT engineer came out and fitted the brushes FOC,we had the mover transferred to our current van in October 2011, and although the current van is single axle the mover works well. As Dusty said the moving parts need to be kept clean and lubricated,regularly, to make the actuation system easier I use a longer socket handle than the one supplied and it can be applied one handed. We needed the actuation bar as we keep the van tight to a house wall on one side. I would definately buy another PT manual system, mover when this one fails.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tim, like you we have now had 2 new actuator mors fitted. When the first one went we were putting the rollers on with a drill. On our first van we had a manual actuator. It was an absolute pig and it took a huge effort on the part of my OH (who was under 50 at the time and of average strength) to get it on. Over time he broke one lever and bent two actuator bars (the bar that joined the rollers together.) In the end we paid to have a motor retro fitted. We may have just had a duff lot, but I wouldn't choose it again.
As I said when the actuator motor started to go on the first occaiaion we used a power drill and a wossname (the thing that fits in the drill and into the screw on the end of the motor) to put the roller on and off.
mel

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have a very old Truma manual mover. We removed the actuator bar as neither of us could move the rollers into position. No issue with doing each one in turn. We need the mover to get it into and out of storage.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
We have a very old Truma manual mover. We removed the actuator bar as neither of us could move the rollers into position. No issue with doing each one in turn. We need the mover to get it into and out of storage.
I agree we also have a old Truma SE with manual actuator must be 15years old now but works every time it is required. it is no hassle engaging the rollers either side (helped by the aid of one of those extendable wheel bars http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescopic-Extending-Wheel-Brace-Wrench-Socket-Car-Spanner-Master-breaker-bar-/200814957712?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2ec1811490 obtained from motorsave for a £5). I do my own van servicing exept for the gas every year and as a matter of course do a service on the mover at the same time. can't fault it, only problem I have had it with the handset now on my 3rd "lost one ,broke one, both time my own fault.
I have looked at the modern self acuator at kenmore caravans in Mirfield but it looked quite a complicated bit of kit so I will stick to the manual one, obvisouly less to go wrong!!.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Colin auto engagement is just something to go wrong. Our Reich has a cross actuation spindle and engagement is by a screw and pinion using the steady winder. Servicing consists of generous shots of WD40 applied regularly.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the info on this mover, i was about to order one as they were advertised in the CCC mag, now i'm not sure what to do. I have a lunar delta twin ax, do i go for the auto , which would be better for my arthritic hands ,or the manual. I have a Truma mover and its about 9years old and manual. ,problems

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had two manual powertoch motor movers , The second fitted to our present van , it was fitted with a link bar , so that you can manually lock both motors onto the caravan wheels in one operation, this I was unable to do, had the link bar removed, manage to do both wheels independantly.
The sliding mechanism can become stuck due the grit or surface dirt getting logged between the two surfaces.
At the start of the season , I clean all the moving parts with a small paint brush with degreasing fluid, wipe over , To lubricate all the moving parts I use a Putoline lub which come in a 500ml can. .
Purchase this from motor cycle shops , its a Synthetic racing chain lube, non fling formular, it has a directional nozzle on the spray head to enable you to direct the spray between the two moving parts, when sprayed it turns into something like candle wax which gives a very smoothe gliding action action within the sliding parts.
Since using this I have never ever suffered from sticking moving parts.
Royston

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
This is a sorry tale and quite worrying as I have a power touch mover with electrical activation and although I have had no problems with it so far in the first year I really regret not having the manual version for just the reasons mentioned. I don't like the operation of it any way . After a year I still find myself wondering whats happening and frequently resorting to reseting the main switch to get it to operate also I think it is terribly slow. Even at the max speed I thought there was a problem but was assured by PT that that is as fast as it will go.

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
Have a question about the Courier Insurance. Declaration for a certain period. I understand that in this case the carrier`s liability for all transportation carried out during the validity of the insurance contract is considered to be insured. The policyholder is obliged to periodically provide information on the actual amount of freight for the expired period. Did I understand correctly?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts