PROJECTORS

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone bought and used a projector? Going to Devon in the summer with my and 3 other families, loads of kids! Thinking of purchasing a projector to play movies via usb on the side of the van/on a screen. Any one done this? Any recommendation on a projector?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
pmyo said:
Hi,

Has anyone bought and used a projector? Going to Devon in the summer with my and 3 other families, loads of kids! Thinking of purchasing a projector to play movies via usb on the side of the van/on a screen. Any one done this? Any recommendation on a projector?

April fools day soon...........or are you serious..............................you are arent you :dry:

Get the kids to play british bull dog, kiss chase, climb some trees, ride there bikes, take them to the seaside (in The rain normally) or pop up to Haytor and let them paddle in the streams, plenty to do in Devon.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Kev, have you never seen them, great progecteted onto thenside of the van that the awning not on. Keeps the kids happy. Dont be a sour puss.
Hutch.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Graham Powell of Caravan finder tv fame, described using a laptop, PowerPoint projector and white flat bed sheet put up in his awning and stretched out to act as a screen to entertain a load of kids. Sounds like an excellent plan to me.
Mel

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I agree with climbing trees going crabbing and all the rest of the outdoor stuff or go for a nice long walk in the rain it will certainly make them sleep at night, it's the same thing when people go on about their satellite TV channels, get outside and do something, buy a good pair of walking boots,

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Gagakev said:
pmyo said:
Hi,

April fools day soon...........or are you serious..............................you are arent you :dry:

Get the kids to play british bull dog, kiss chase, climb some trees, ride there bikes, take them to the seaside (in The rain normally) or pop up to Haytor and let them paddle in the streams, plenty to do in Devon.

Hahaha,

Yeah they do that, we go away 6 full weeks of the year with the kids (plus weekends), and with multiple families with kids. Only so many trees to climb and crabs to catch day in, day out!

Its also great, late a night, with a campfire on the go, to get the full gang of 20 odd kids together, under blankets with a 'cinema' projected onto the van - they love it and its great fun - you should try it.

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
camel said:
I agree with climbing trees going crabbing and all the rest of the outdoor stuff or go for a nice long walk in the rain it will certainly make them sleep at night, it's the same thing when people go on about their satellite TV channels, get outside and do something, buy a good pair of walking boots,

They have multiple pairs of walking boots, gaiters and the lot. Go hill walking - not many kids under 10 have done the 3 peaks challenge :)

Its also good to get the gang together, sit under blankets late at night with a fire going and let them have fun in an outdoor cinema.

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Mel said:
Graham Powell of Caravan finder tv fame, described using a laptop, PowerPoint projector and white flat bed sheet put up in his awning and stretched out to act as a screen to entertain a load of kids. Sounds like an excellent plan to me.
Mel

It is :)

I've found one on amazon now, reasonable price at just under £100

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Gagakev said:
pmyo said:
plenty to do in Devon.

I agree, having been to Devon for 4 weeks a year, the last 3 years. There is always other stuff and new things todo, this being one of them.

Last year, the kids ended up bringing a dozen of their new found friends round for a bbq with their parents, this year, we'll be watching a late night movie.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
pmyo said:
Hi,

Hello pmyo,

Whilst i may not agree with your proposal, I respect your desire.

No I haven't done what you have suggested, but I have seen the number of times when a visiting team have arrived to do a presentation, only to find the bulb in their projector has expired in transit. The bulbs are not designed to travel, and they are very expensive to replace. So if you can find one go for an LED projector.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
pmyo said:
Hi,

Hello pmyo,

No I haven't done what you have suggested, but I have seen the number of times when a visiting team have arrived to do a presentation, only to find the bulb in their projector has expired in transit. The bulbs are not designed to travel, and they are very expensive to replace. So if you can find one go for an LED projector.

I have carted a pp projector in its case to all sorts of training events and never had a failed bulb. Just have to be steady with it and get one that comes in a decent case.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel said:
ProfJohnL said:
pmyo said:
Hi,

Hello pmyo,

I have carted a pp projector in its case to all sorts of training events and never had a failed bulb. Just have to be steady with it and get one that comes in a decent case.
Mel

Hello Mel,

I agree care seems to be the operative word, We used to have to get potential suppliers to tender for some contracts and those along with externally provided training, I used to have sit through at least one powerpoint presentation a week from outside providers. On at least five occasions the presentation was delayed due to bulb failures.

My big concern for the OP is that the vibrations inside caravans are somewhat more severe than that of cars and if teh projector is carried in the caravan, bulb failures are more likely.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
If a sheet is to be hung on an outside wall of the caravan such that at least a dozen people can see how is the sound being contained such that it doesn't annoy neighbours? :whistle:

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
If a sheet is to be hung on an outside wall of the caravan such that at least a dozen people can see how is the sound being contained such that it doesn't annoy neighbours? :whistle:

Most yoofs, you have probably noticed, have ear buds or headphones permanently affixed in order to steam toons from the connected device.

In the early days of MH ownership we used to sit as a family group with kids and view a portable media player with ear phone splitters to listen without disturbing neighbouring campers.

If there is a will there is a way. If the will is to disturb others then that's something to be dealt with. I prefer to see there is consideration for others on the part of the Op and audience :p

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Its also great, late a night, with a campfire on the go, to get the full gang of 20 odd kids together, under blankets with a 'cinema' projected onto the van - they love it and its great fun - you should try it

Sir WC
I wouldn't worry about the projector sound . :evil:
20 something shrieking kids :eek:hmy: :woohoo:

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
pmyo said:
Hi,

Hello pmyo,

Yep, they generally are LED now it seems, the one I've selected is anyway. Good point suggested though.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Kev, you can't be described as being sour, just saying because I agree with you :cheer:[/quote
Hutch said;
]Kev, have you never seen them, great progecteted onto thenside of the van that the awning not on. Keeps the kids happy. Dont be a sour puss.
Hutch.

So far havent been able to reply to that Rabbit Man, I have been crying my eyes out for the last 1day and 22 hours, me a sour puss :( :(
I dont even watch the TV in the van (well except for news getting ready in the morning and news eating evening meal, unless we eat outside) so why would I want a cinema on the side of my van.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
ermmm...have to hold a hand up here...we took an led projector on holiday a couple of times and rigged it up in the awning, invited the kids friends round and put on a movie night with popcorn etc, on the last night of a weeks holiday. It was brilliant. Mat also took the boy and some of his friends to Wales last May and rigged up the projector and xbox inside the van for them, as it was hammering down outside, so it was a good move. We don't do it often, and it depends on the destination, but it can be a real lifesaver, especially as you can rig it up to the leccy box through the aerial and watch telly, too!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts