Proposal for MOTs to be bi-annual

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
A mileage based approach may have some merits but driving conditions also need to be considered. Doing 20k a year mostly on motorways may not incur the same amount of wear and tear on bodywork, suspension, steering etc than doing 5k a year on our very poor Highland Roads and weather conditions.

Not to mention all the roundabouts in places like Milton Keynes which seemed to be sponsored by the Ball Joint and Brake Manufacturers Association :)

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman and Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
In principle that's a good idea, but I can think of two significant drawbacks.

Firstly, there would be no way the authorities could check whether an MOT was active or expired just from checking the number plate, as they would need to know the actual milage.

And secondly, cars often fail MOTs through age related deterioration rather than distance, so as Buckman has pointed out some cars can do very little milage each year and as such it could be many years before it triggered a check based on mileage, in which time several critical components could have corroded.
Mileage based checks are done at services - but of course not everyone bothers.

When I was working, the mileage involved meant the car getting a full service 2-3 times/year and the MoT was just a formality but now one of our cars does less than 1,000 miles/year so the MoT is the primary check.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do see the problems with the mileage based check and it is probably unenforceable as the car needs to be stopped before a check could take place and the differing mileages some cars do would also be a drawback. As I said earlier I would opt for a two tier system with two year checks for the first few years and annually after say ten. At three years old cars can have faults but the serious offenders are far older than that.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do see the problems with the mileage based check and it is probably unenforceable as the car needs to be stopped before a check could take place and the differing mileages some cars do would also be a drawback. As I said earlier I would opt for a two tier system with two year checks for the first few years and annually after say ten. At three years old cars can have faults but the serious offenders are far older than that.
I am sure a satellite system could be used to pinpoint the mileage done. We have a tracker in our caravan and know the exact mileage done with the caravan every month. No biggie to monitor mileage accurately. :D

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I am sure a satellite system could be used to pinpoint the mileage done. We have a tracker in our caravan and know the exact mileage done with the caravan every month. No biggie to monitor mileage accurately. :D
It would need to be made mandatory and be working - too complex for the simple task - stick to annual MoT tests.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If this is the best the gov can come up with to ease the current cost of transport then it is beyond a joke, I don't regard that a saving of about £45 alternate years goes anywhere to reduce the feel of the pinch - just topped up my Tucson with almost £90 of diesel, but at least my low mileage is mainly associated with leisure but pity those who must drive for their business, and no wonder the cost of everything from supermarket to appliances is going up rapidly.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It would need to be made mandatory and be working - too complex for the simple task - stick to annual MoT tests.
That is even worse as many vehicles can be clocked to reduce the annual mileage. It could be made mandatory in new cars and gradually roll out to older cars due to tax incentive i.e. you would pay less excise duty and less tax.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That is even worse as many vehicles can be clocked to reduce the annual mileage. It could be made mandatory in new cars and gradually roll out to older cars due to tax incentive i.e. you would pay less excise duty and less tax.
Retro-fitting a device that should remain tamper-proof isn't cost effective - annual MoT which can be checked by ANPR, regular servicing for most cars and random spot checks is the best way, IMO, to achieve vehicle safety, ie keep the present system.

TRENDING THREADS