Pros and cons of various M/home makes

Jul 22, 2019
Visit site
Hi Folk Riki from NZ. Been a caravanner for past 48 years but due to age and inability to do physical tasks we are considering a possible change to Motorhome. The layout we both like very much is twin permanent singles at the rear of kitchen with bathroom on the rear. We find this opens up the inner lounge kitchen are and allows for better movement space etc.
At Recent Caravan Motorhome show we did see the Eldis model with this layout and have to say we were very impressed. A quick search reveled there are other manufactures with similar layouts as well and I was surprised to learn Eldis have had this layout since 2014?
So I appreciate caravans are different to Motorhomes and there will be concessions we may have to make and there will be advantages.
So I would appreciate any feedback you folk may like to share please re layouts makes models and engine chassis options the good and the bad please.
Look forward to your help thanks.

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
I have just upgraded from my 16 year old Swift to a brand new Eldiss and its not the same quality but thats most likely what you get now.
Cupboard doors a little bit out of line, alot of mastic sealant on the outside which soon looks dirty. But it does drive well.

Apr 25, 2019
Visit site
Adria have this Laura’s do a few others. We seriously considered it. One thing that put me off was not having a bedside table. I know it sounds pathetic but like you I have health issues so being comfortable in bed for a couple of hours in the afternoon is very appealing.
Spend some time looking at how much space there really is in the kitchen and bathroom.
We Hired a motor home and found it very tight on space. Also the toilet was too high and the
space to narrow.
Then of course it’s hard to go to places with a motor home after years of parking up your caravan that will take some adjustment. Have you considered looking into ways if making caravan hitching and moving easier? It might be better to stay with what you know , but let technology help you.
Good Luck

Jul 22, 2019
Visit site
Hello , Thanks for your comments. I think I have adopted every trick available to hitching and setting up known to man. LOL We don't manually move the van as I have permanent back and nerve issues that cannot be corrected so believe me I have to look after myself plus I don't want my wife suffering either. We manage and camp a lot but appreciate there can be other options that should be considered. There could be a day when I can no longer drive. Car now hand controls so motorhome may be much more user friendly for my wife. We use E bikes so access to town for supplies easy enough. Your comment about afternoon nap would be just great with beds set up all the time. Very much appreciate your response and comments thanks.

Jul 22, 2019
Visit site
Hi thanks for your comments. We have a swift caravan Challenger 2013 model which has been excellent and has had extensive use, but like many other manufactures I think workmanship / design quality frequently changes and not always for the better. I think many of the later Swift Caravans have quality issues that we don't and I was of the understanding that Eldis was a smaller manufacture and some reports suggested quality was not as good but without actual inspection and first hand knowledge that has to be proved. Many thanks for your comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts