Pro's and cons of

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Jaysted said:
Caravan Club and Caravan and Motor home Club?

One and the same.

There are the Caravan & Camping Club, and the Caravan and Motorhome Club formerly the Caravan Club.

Both have networks of sites that give 'standards' across all sites. The CaMC allows you to book without a deposit. For your first year join one to learn the ropes, then the next year try the other and the 3rd year see what suits you.

The jewel in the crown of both is the CL & CS sites, small 5 van sites that range from a field, a tap and a bucket and chuck it; to fully serviced pitches.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We belong to both the main clubs to enjoy even more variety of CL's and CS's (Max 5 van sites) and we use different member benefits from the two clubs such as breakdown and insurance.

Apart from that if you only want to join one, I can't see after a good few years, much of a difference between the two. More in the way of THS (temporary holiday sites) from C&CC. Both have a good network of local groups for rallying and the like.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am in both clubs for the same reason as Martin, one area might be predominatly C and CC , a different area The C and MHC.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I'm currently a member of both the C&CC and the CMC. We have found the site layout of the C&CC to be less formal as they cater for tents on all sites. We appreciate the greater choice of sites that membership of both gives us.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have also been a member of both for years, this gives more sites to choose from and more CS/CL five unit sites around the UK. I agree with the comment on the formality of the pitching - for example the 2 sites at Sandringham separated by a short footpath, and it used to be the same at Malvern - the same entrance shared by C&MC and C&CC and Guides camp (although it is a while since we stayed there so things can change). I would also expect more hard-standings at C&MC sites, for example just back from Clumber Park where there are about 50% hards, and the site was full over the weekend with about 40% motorhomes, 1 folding camper and 1 trailer tent the remainder caravans. In terms of the overall cost you get access to different club insurance quotes, breakdown cover, foreign site/ferry bookings, and of course 2 'comics' each month in addition to your invaluable subscription to Practical Caravan!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are members of both but you do need to do a fair amount of caravanning to justify that.
If it is for the sites the CAMC have far more so you are more likely to find one where you want. The CAMC does maintain them to a very high standard but the C&CC less so but still high. The booking system of the CAMC does not require a deposit and the sites tend to book up earlier. The C&CC asks for a deposit and you lose it if you cancel within 31 days, but the sites are usually easier to get on and in general are more family oriented. On CAMC you can choose your pitch from any free ones of the type you booked but the C&CC will give you one although you can reject it if you prefer another.
Both have excellent foreign touring services with good deals on ferries.
There are other services available with not a lot between them but the CAMC breakdown cover is cheaper and the C&CC caravan insurance is far cheaper, but both give good cover which will be hard to beat.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
We're in both and don't get the best use out of them to be fair although they pay for themselves over the year.
C&CC membership is offset by not paying the non-member fees for a fortnight at the Keswick site
C&MC membership is offset by the savings on the rally we go on annually to Cornwall on a commercial site.

As said above, I find the C&CC sites a bit less formal, but have no complaints over the C&MC ones we've stayed at other than one rather rude assistant warden; everyone has an off day though.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Andy, I think sometimes the " old time " CC wardens can be a bit stuffy. WE have a lovely Expensive unit, looks great and get a lovely welcome until I get out of the car in my tattie jeans without my Panama hat , and the two mongerels in tow. Have to put them on blue nylon leeds some time. Cand Cc. Are normally more friendly. Just my thoughts. But mostly do cl's and c's sites as they are nearer to a pub.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are in CAMC because we need more of their sites than the C&CC. In particular Whitewater Park and Tredegar House which have very little competition. The C&CC insurance though is well over £100 cheaper so pays for the membership and the lesser use we make of it.
As for the wardens we find them both friendly and have no problem with either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts