Proud to be Welsh

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I might be accused of being biased but wasn't it great to see the young Ellie Symonds from Swansea receiving her MBE from Her Majesty the Queen today. Apart from the two gold medals won in the paralympics for swimming she is now the proud reciprient of the MBE. Good luck to the young lady.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Im English and proud as well!!

I did have a tear in my eye when watching Elle recieve her medals at the olimpics. Such a lovely young girl

Kevin

May 25, 2008
Visit site
No one could disagree, well done also for the recognision of her coach,often overlooked in these situations. Lets hear it for Ellie Hip Hip Hooray

G

Young Ellie is a wonderful example and inspiration, I koved her performances and her spirit and excitement.

But the MBE at 14?

Dame at 18 if she does as well or better in 2012?

I'm sorry but is Olympic gold not reward enough.

Sir Chris Hoy, Cycling. Again sorry,but I just dont get it or see the point!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Euro - to a certain degree I will agree with you for able bodied sports persons. I think that the achievements for disabled sports persons should be honoured to some degree for the extra effort they put in to achieve their goal. A good example of this would be the honour bestowed on Dame Tammy Grey Thompson after her remarkable achievements in the paralympics - numourous gold medals and also winning a few marathons as well. All done whilst confined to a wheelchair. I do think that these sport spersons bring a lot of encouragement to the less able bodied members of society and encourages them to achieve their aim in life.

Heck I would not be able to achieve any of her rewards and I am "physically" fit.

G

Colin.

Tanni's Olympic record

d 1992 Barcelona 100 m

Gold 1992 Barcelona 200 m

Gold 1992 Barcelona 400 m

Gold 1992 Barcelona 800 m

Gold 1996 Atlanta 800 m

Gold 2000 Sydney 100 m

Gold 2000 Sydney 200 m

Gold 2000 Sydney 400 m

Gold 2000 Sydney 800 m

Gold 2004 Athens 100 m

Gold 2004 Athens 400 m

Silver 1992 Barcelona 4 x 100 m

Silver 1996 Atlanta 100 m

Silver 1996 Atlanta 200 m

Silver 1996 Atlanta 400 m

Bronze 1988 Seoul 400 m

And don't forget she retired from Active competition in 2007 after holding over 30 world records, and won the London Marathon six times between 1992 and 2002.

To me good at sports be you fully or partially abled is one thing, gongs and knighthoods should come at the end of a exemplary career when you have proven you also have something to add to wider society.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Euro I think Dame Tanni's achievements in the sporting field has worked wanders for the lesser ability members of society in so much that it has given them the get up and go approach to life and not sit back and think "why me". She is not only an ammbassedor to her sport but also to the general disabled members of society and she should be recognised not only with her medals won over the years but also with recognition to her work for the paraplegic members of society in general.

G

So good that you got her name right this time Colin ;-) (joke)

You are actually making the point Colin, Tanni's success got further recognition after a lot of years of continued success and blossoming public persona.

14 years old or after a couple of olympiads, sorry but the best of sports people should need to show a lot more than just the performance and consistency in their chosen field. After all it is not as though those who achieve sporting success go short money wise these days.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Give them all the accolades possible, give them gongs and ribbons, Titles and money. These are British hero's and lets all be proud of thier success.

We need a bit of national cheering up at the moment.

It's great to see Swimmers, Cyclists, Paralympians and any other less popularist sports people achieving recogitian, fame and hopefully some well deserved wealth as well as the over paid fotballers and racing drivers.

As a senior Swimmer myself I have a vague idea what these people have put themselves through since the age of 12 to get anywhere near the top of their sport.

It's a shame that one of our greatest ever atheletes swimmer 'Mark Foster' has achieved more fame taking his shirt off on strictly come dancing than for being a Britsh record holder and champion for about 20 years as well as world champion and multiple world record holder and he's still breaking British records at 38.

We are all too keen to be sour over our international sporting failures so lets Fly the flag(s) bang the drums and celebrate for a change. :)

G

Mark Foster is a bit if a deluded maverick of UK swimming and SC records are not exactly international news and nor are many "british" records in sport,

As a former record holding athlete myself, I competed for myself. To win you have to be motivated and tunnel visioned towards your goals for many in sport. To get up on cold winters mornings at 4am for training day in day out has sweet F A to do with glory for your country or fellow counytrymen.

The Psyco wafflers may use the "greater good" scenario in training and you may impress the backers and spomsors by saying the right thing at the chosen moment.

Give me any swimmer, cyclist, rower or other who is out ripping themselves apart day or night for their country and I'll give you a liar!

Winning is first and country a long distant second runner that just may spur some if they can tap the vibe on the way to a win.

I don't know much about Fosters strictly dancing, but he'll have just tapped into a higher profile that his lower profile major event performances never brought him.

Sorry to have taken this off track.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I suppose that sums up the Britsh attutude to sporting success.

A deluded Maverick who could only manage to scrape home:-

Commonwealth games (Long course) 2 Gold, 3 Bronze

World Championships (long course) 1 silver, 1 bronze

Competed in 5 Olympics, making ? finals

Held 8 world record short course

Etc etc

The most Internationaly decorated British sports person ever.

Maybe a bit of green eyed monster perhaps.

G

Commonwealth Games? Come off it, most of those records and medals are worth little more than my medals as a six year old in my school egg and spoon and sack races.

Olympic records and the internationaly recognised World championships bring respect and wider recognition. Foster also bucked the system to many times.

"Jealousy" ? Utter bull, you are just dreaming Thorps as your moniker suggests ;-)

Short course records are just not Olympic gold! Also by the time I was Foster's age I had no need to prance about like a fairy on a national TV to boost status or income!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must be one of a few Welsh men who have no interest in rugby at all - 30 grown men kicking a bag of wind and three men to see they do it according to the rules. In the meantime there are thousands who pay silly money to watch this in all weathers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must be one of a few Welsh men who have no interest in rugby at all - 30 grown men kicking a bag of wind and three men to see they do it according to the rules. In the meantime there are thousands who pay silly money to watch this in all weathers.
Colin, you're not alone in not liking rugby, but I must admit to being passionate about the Six nations championships, and feel very sad when we lose. Aside from that I always watch the games in the pub, which makes it a great social occasion too.

To each his own?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My love of rugby ends with the fact that I like seeing a result with Wales winning, which unfortunately was not to be this time. Apart from that it is a no go area for me.

Same with soccer - like to see Swansea and Cardiff win and that is about all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My love of rugby ends with the fact that I like seeing a result with Wales winning, which unfortunately was not to be this time. Apart from that it is a no go area for me.

Same with soccer - like to see Swansea and Cardiff win and that is about all.
And all this on St. David's Day

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts