Public awareness

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am amazed at the number of times, when someone new visits us and sees the caravan on the drive and comments. The normal question we ask is 'would you like to see it' and the inevitable answer is 'yes'. Comments such as 'I now know why you go away such a lot' and 'it's got a proper shower, wc, fixed bed, oven, four burner hob, fridge, TV, DVD etc etc etc'. The majority of these people remember caravans from their childhood when for them a holiday consisted of a week or two with their parents at the coast in a very basic caravan. Thankfully those days have passed. However, whilst caravan sales are increasing the manufacturers are doing nothing to further expand the market. Car manufacturers and dealers occasionally display cars in shopping centres to give maximum exposure to the public. Why dont caravan manufacturers and dealers also do this. It might achieve more sales for them and also improve tolerance of our hobby when the public know that modern day caravanners are not weird people who like to spend days in a tin box with very few facilities but in a home from home.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul. I'm keen to print your Forum entry as a letter in the magazine - could you email it to me direct (alex.newby@haynet.com) and include your surname and where you live? Many thanks, Alex Newby, Editor, Practical Caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What a great idea Paul, though I fear that the bulk of van Dealers and manufacturers are so busy coping with the existing demand that they will be too complacent to do it. I wonder if they too read the Forum!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only think that Mike H has hit the nail on the head. After all, if you go along to your local dealer at this time of year there are very few who will bite your hand off. I've been told that the waiting list for the van I am interested in goes right into early summer. Why should the dealer (or the manufacturer) want to go to any trouble when we punters are so thick on the ground?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was one of 'those people' and was adamant that I'd never have a caravan. I remembered the condensation streaming off the windows, a big jerry can of cold water to wash in and gas mantles that disintegrated if you breathed on them. I couldn't believe it when I saw a friends caravan a few years ago - electric light! I've now got my own.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A local small dealer in Devon has displayed new caravans plus some of his hire fleet in the city centre for the last couple of years. Must add this was for one weekend only early summer in association with our local evening newspaper.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is so right,we also thought the same about caravans- gas mantles- water pump on floor (cold water)

freezing cold! How wrong we were when we actually looked at some new caravans,not having been in one for over 15 years and bought one straight away,and think it is the best thing we have ever done! In my husbands office the other day a work colleague

actually said about having a bucket for a toilet! He was soon put right.

Janice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul I couldn't agree more with every point of your comprehensive response. Sadly though, I doubt that many Dealers & Manufacturers will have the time/gumption/motivation to do as you suggest. I too am all for educating the non-vanning public. The trade would probably argue that they do all the promoting they can at their own showgrounds etc, and are only just meeting demand at present. Any Dealers/Manufactureres care to comment?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After reading all your comments I agree initially with what people are saying about the awareness of new style caravans and being a lot better than the old one's, my only comment all be it a bit selfish is that as a member of the caravan club as we prefer these sites to the commercial sites but already I found out last year it can be difficult to get on some club sites in less you have booked them months in advance as I don't know which weekends in the month I will be off this proved difficult and with the current increases in site fees caravanning is no longer the cheep holiday most people think it is.

My real worry is can the site network keep up if the demand is pusher even further?

Jon

TRENDING THREADS