Public weighbridge, surprise at recorded weight.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Steady Clive
It’s always the Trainer’s fault. Trust me. I know it’s always my fault ;)

Ah Dusty
You are only saying that as I guess you are within range of a left or right jab. I’m impregnable ensconced up here in Leicester!!!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Taking a few steps back I do wonder if we are getting paranoid about our weights :eek:hmy:
In 40 years of caravanning I have never used a weigh bridge.
Rightly or wrongly I have relied on both car and manufacturers plated weights.
I may be close on my MTPLM but I know the heavy stuff , awning etc is inside the tug.
Sir WC RIP actually weighed every single item , teaspoon included and things he didn’t need . He found he was close and in fact was carrying things he didn’t know he had. Did he use a weigh bridge? No.
Maybe we should all relax.
And in answer to the last question I have never , read or met anyone who has been stopped and prosecuted for a weight discrepancy.
Yes . Awareness is very important but there are times I feel we take the weight issues to the point of paranoia :woohoo: Now goes into hiding :whistle:

Ok Dusty so Kev can bring more than two bottles of Buckfast to the fest.
I must admit my van tows a bit better when heavy, I should not get so paranoid. :woohoo: .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Clive,don't get me wrong,i am very weight conscious.Start with empty van,2x 3.9 kg bottles(one for van,one for cadac) no point carrying 2x6kg like most,bag of 25 pegs,claw Hammer,waste pipe and aerial wire(for super pitch),all in front locker.In van,kettle,toaster,lightweight pans,set of plates etc,basic cutlery.beding,2 sleeping bags for kids in awning.toiletries and clothes.
As I said no food,small amount of clothes.so if I'm overweight so be it,what would you leave out?
So long as you're sensible I don't worry.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dustydog said:
Taking a few steps back I do wonder if we are getting paranoid about our weights :eek:hmy:
In 40 years of caravanning I have never used a weigh bridge.
Rightly or wrongly I have relied on both car and manufacturers plated weights.
I may be close on my MTPLM but I know the heavy stuff , awning etc is inside the tug.
Sir WC RIP actually weighed every single item , teaspoon included and things he didn’t need . He found he was close and in fact was carrying things he didn’t know he had. Did he use a weigh bridge? No.
Maybe we should all relax.
And in answer to the last question I have never , read or met anyone who has been stopped and prosecuted for a weight discrepancy.
Yes . Awareness is very important but there are times I feel we take the weight issues to the point of paranoia :woohoo: Now goes into hiding :whistle:

Ok Dusty so Kev can bring more than two bottles of Buckfast to the fest.
I must admit my van tows a bit better when heavy, I should not get so paranoid. :woohoo: .
What Hutch? You want two for yourself? No worries. I will also be bringing a bottle of the Devonian Demon Holy Liqueur :evil:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
Clive,don't get me wrong,i am very weight conscious.Start with empty van,2x 3.9 kg bottles(one for van,one for cadac) no point carrying 2x6kg like most,bag of 25 pegs,claw Hammer,waste pipe and aerial wire(for super pitch),all in front locker.In van,kettle,toaster,lightweight pans,set of plates etc,basic cutlery.beding,2 sleeping bags for kids in awning.toiletries and clothes.
As I said no food,small amount of clothes.so if I'm overweight so be it,what would you leave out?
So long as you're sensible I don't worry.

I’ve seen payloads for your van between 167-180kg so it’s nit as low as many vans. One thing that puzzles me is how Eldiss calculate MRO and what’s included in it. Swift includes for one 6kg bottle which could weigh up to 13-14kg or less if Calorlite is chosen. Also EHU is included in MRO, as is step and documentation plus another couple of bits.
From your description of what goes into the van I am a bit puzzled as why you should be above MTPLM even allowing for battery and mover.
When I carry extra kit the roof box goes on but this only tends to be if we have our granddaughter and dogs too.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Brasso ,
I'm pretty much the same as you , we have a 220 kg pay load and I'm weight conscious to !! In my front locker (which is quite large) we have 2 proper places where the gas bottles go , one 6kg & a 3.9kg , same as you one main gas and one for BBQ, that's to the nearside, to the offside I have my waste master , aqua roll and my awning mat . In the middle I carry the light cleaning clothes etc and my drill .

Inside , my awning goes over the axle, the awning peg bag , poles etc is to the rear of the caravan , pretty much the same as you for the toaster and the kettle and the lightweight crockery and plates. If we leave from home all clothes and food go into the boot off the car . I'm probably close to my limit (might be nowhere nr it) but I have towed for 2o years and I'm comfortable with my outfit when loaded. It may be different kettle of fish if you are just starting on this hobby and have never done this before though but being a professional driver I think I do ok !! :p
When I hitch up the back off the car doesn't budge !!

( I now await the criticism ) :blush:

Safe towing .
Craig .

Edit ; and whilst I drive around 8 hours+ on the bus , I see lots of caravans hooked up going away or coming back and on some of them outfits you can hardly see the tops on the tyres of the car towing the caravans and I think to myself they must be well over their limit which makes me think I should be ok !

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Edit ; and whilst I drive around 8 hours+ on the bus , I see lots of caravans hooked up going away or coming back and on some of them outfits you can hardly see the tops on the tyres of the car towing the caravans and I think to myself they must be well over their limit which makes me think I should be ok ![/ [/colour

You raise a very important point Craig. The vehicles you see may be carrying too heavy a nose load or the vehicle suspension is defective.
So, many people use various types of spring assistors, some good some a deffo no no.
But as been discussed on here many times looks are not necessarily all they seem. :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Dustydog said:

Edit ; and whilst I drive around 8 hours+ on the bus , I see lots of caravans hooked up going away or coming back and on some of them outfits you can hardly see the tops on the tyres of the car towing the caravans and I think to myself they must be well over their limit which makes me think I should be ok ![/ [/colour

You raise a very important point Craig. The vehicles you see may be carrying too heavy a nose load or the vehicle suspension is defective.
So, many people use various types of spring assistors, some good some a deffo no no.
But as been discussed on here many times looks are not necessarily all they seem. :)

Thanks . But take it easy on the bright font !!! B) a bit bright !!

May 11, 2017
Visit site
We weighed Every Single Item in our van last year after a surprise at the weighbridge and now have a spreadsheet... I couldn't believe how much rubbish (children's books, toys, magazines we've never read, tools we'll never need...) was stored in there. Now we go 'skinny' on every trip and it makes the whole experience much easier! And, when not taking the hound, everything heavy goes in the boot (Cadac, electric cable, tools, hose for serviced pitches, scooters, groundsheet etc). We've even bought toilet tablets rather than juice for this year's 4 week trip abroad to try and keep weight down.
However, I am (still) trying to convince Mr H that we don't need to take a spare jockey wheel, having lost one on our first ever excursion to France... out of interest does anyone else carry a spare jockey wheel (I'm looking for backup here, please!!!)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I used to carry a spare one after I scrubbed one out once, when the jockey wheel Gnome unwound it . Not any more though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts