Pubs and Dogs

Feb 26, 2006
Visit site
Following on from a previous thread has anyone any recommendations for sites that have dog friendly clubs/bars or pubs either on site or nearby? Being new to caravanning I've been surprised at the lack of pubs and bars that accept families with dogs, maybe "the many are judged by the actions of a few". We have 3 children and a 7 month old Golden Retriever all of whom are well behaved, (most of the time), and certainly know how to behave in pubs and like nothing more than to be able to relax as a family over a drink.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Bob.

G

The problem may stem from the fact that many pubs serve food, and health regulations nowadays don't allow animals in contact with food. The only exceptions are guide dogs for the blind. Mind you it wasn't so long ago that many pubs didn't allow women or children in either, was that a good move or not??

You may have to stick with warm summer evenings and sitting outside. Up here you will now be in company with all the smokers anyway.

Feb 26, 2006
Visit site
I appreciate the health issues but I have visted pubs who don't provide food who still operate no dogs policy. Beleive me the thought of sitting outside is not a problem for me most of the time, even the first weekend this february in Skegness! However it would be useful to have a list of recommendations in the event of inclement British weather.

Bob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Widend Caravan Site at Paignton has a large covered patio area off the club which overlooks the heated outdoor swimming pool. You are sitting outdoors away from the rain but it may become chilly. I don't think they will accept dogs into the club house. Give them a ring for a brochure (the brochure does not do the site justice) tel: (01803)550116 and speak to Julie. The site is very clean and has a dog walk as far as you wish to go. Very central for Torquay, Paignton and Totnes.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
It makes me quite cross when you see "No Dogs" on doors of eating establishments, particularly when you look around and see the likes of some of todays' unwashed - I know who I would rather be sharing my meal with!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I understand the health rules, animals should not be present in food preparation areas. Allowing animals into the pub, including where food is served, is purely down to the landlord.

Many of the best pubs are more than happy to allow dogs. Children though, may be another matter.

Over our years of owning a dog we found that she was often far better behaved than SOME children. (Oh dear, I may have started a riot).

Get a copy of The Good Pub Guide www.goodguides.com. It is completely independant and also tells you if pubs will allow dogs and children and is well worth

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have you tried pubs which cater for people who work with dogs shepherds and the like ? Farming areas etc. I was in a pub near Grasmere one time when a couple came in, asking about dog policy and the only question was did they have a dog bowl or did they want to borrow one from behind the bar? Seemed so long as dog was quiet and did not fight with the regulars there was no problem. They had the same attitude toward children and teenagers. Place was always full - with family groups.

Mike E

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Bobcollo

I was in Bowness on Windermere recently, In the Hole in the Wall to be precise and there were a few people with dogs in then. Lots of sites around but book early.

Park Cliffe

Fallbarrow

Limefit

White cross bay

Just to name a few

G

I have also seen 'farming areas' where many things were taken without issue, mind you things change so rapidly that even a few years ago now seems like an age away. However, would those same 'farming pubs' be so keen if they were invaded by more hyper active city hounds?

I suspect that with many things in life today, if you want one you have to accept some consequences in your lifestyle. If you find a pub that does the trick for you, then enjoy it, and ensure that your 'pooch' doesn't spoil it for others.

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
The CC site at Newcastleton, Lidalia, is perfect for dog owners. All the village pubs/hotels allow dogs, even the bank.

The only stipulation is dog must be on a lead when food is being served.

Also great for walking with riverside and forrest walks.

Feb 26, 2006
Visit site
Thanks very much for your comments and recommendations. I hope to be visiting as many as possible, starting next week!!

Much appreciated,

Bob.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Health Regulations mmmmmmmm

funny that in most european countries taking your dog in to a restaurant while you have a meal is no problem. We do it all the time in germany and austria. Hotels also. Dog sits quietly under the table while we eat.

Why is it that so called "health regulations" do not apply to guide dogs then ?

Michael

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Just wait till the smoking ban comes in to place there will be plenty pubs with out side heated sitting areas for the smokers and dogs.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Bobcollo

I used to work in pubs in a town centre and ones outside of a town centre all of them would let dog in and children in but if the pub got to full then we would say no dog but the kids were still let in has they were look at as they were good money makes for the pub.

Mark

Hi Bob

I don't know what areas you want to visit but most country pubs welcome dogs, we have taken dogs in pubs all over the country, often if we are staying in an area we pop in and ask if we can bring the dog in one night, that way we know before we go out it will be ok. It is up to the proprietor of a business if dogs are permitted, some of the places we have been they even have them in the dining room; it is only the kitchen area they are not allowed.

It's great to hear someone is bringing up children with a dog and proud that they are all well behaved, I hope you all have many happy caravan holidays & pub meals as well.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I like to think I can see both sides of the argument on dogs and kids in pubs. In my time, I've seen both atrociously behaved dogs and atrociously behaved kids in pubs (neigh, I shouldn't blame them, it's those who are responsible for them).

It's always with some trepidation that we approach unfamiliar pubs with our two Border Collies (always quietly under our control), and we're always happy to accept the house rules.

I'll never forget the time we asked if we could bring them into one particular pub in Cornwall. The answer was Yes, Of Course, and the landlord/staff made a big fuss of them, titbits and all.

At the bar, a guy came in with a child attached to his hip.

Sorry, you can't bring THAT in here, said the landlady!!

Make of that what you will - I merely recount the tale!!

But we did go back quite often...

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Most of the pubs around where we live allow well behaved dogs and children. Most however will not allow children near the bar area itself even to order a packet of crisps.

May 10, 2005
Visit site
The 'no dogs' due to health regs is a none starter.....think about it.... If dogs are a 'health risk' at places which serve food (which I feel is the implication of the reg) why aren't guide dogs or support dogs a health risk?

IMO the toddler running around whilst the waitress is trying to serve hot food is a health risk, not my dogs lying out of the way under the table.

Trisha

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
The 'no dogs' due to health regs is a none starter.....think about it.... If dogs are a 'health risk' at places which serve food (which I feel is the implication of the reg) why aren't guide dogs or support dogs a health risk?

IMO the toddler running around whilst the waitress is trying to serve hot food is a health risk, not my dogs lying out of the way under the table.

Trisha
well said

Michael

G

I don't think the regulations are specifically aimed at dog owners, but animals in general. Why should dogs have preference to cats, horses, budgies, snakes, crocodiles etc? A mate in Nigeria had a pet croc on a lead which he used to display to all who were interested. It loved to take a piece out of any dog that dared to approach. However, I do remember from the John Wayne days that the horses were evidently always tethered outside the Gold Nugget Saloon.

Seriously, All animals if they are fur covered are natural breeding grounds for bacteria and pests. It is the nature of the beast as some would say. So if food is on display then there is inevitably some transfer from one host to a 'feast' for the bugs. One good shake and ......... Whoopee! The issue of guide dogs is indeed an anomaly that is a result of one law meeting another, namely food hygiene and animals versus human rights of blind people. However, I suspect that the majority of blind people would, if the situation was explained to them, happily allow their guide dog to be held in an adjacent area while they had their meal/drinks whatever. I know that the majority of people would assist an impaired person without question to ensure that they enjoyed themselves as much as everyone else. I also believe that guide dog owners are usually the ones who are most vocal about ensuring that they do not receive any untoward advantages.

At the end of the day it is up to individual premise owners to make a decision, but I suspect the majority will follow caution to pre-empt any possible law suit. That is the way we have allowed our society to operate, and so must accept it. I do agree that there are some children to whom I would most dearly like similar laws to apply, or possibly their charming parents, but that is another subject for discussion.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Last year we found a fab (rather high class pub - waiters, etc., all very smart in dicky bows (the men that is) and nice frilly pinnies (the women) just for clarification!). We sat in the immaculate garden in glorious sunshine. Sadly, as is mostly the case, clouds gathered and we took our mut to the car whilst we drank up inside. Spotlessly clean with many people eating. However, when we pointed out that we couldn't stay long because we had our pet in the car we were told: "Bring it in, no problem!". So it must be up to the landlords in the end.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks elan thats a good link already proved use for when we go to carnforth at Easter, and brixham in june 3 pubs we can use.

Next year the dog can stay in the pub while we have a smoke out side, reminds me of when we were kids a bottle of pop listening to radio Luxemberg stuck in the car whilst the abults were in the pub.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts