Pulling away?

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a Bailey 760 and was wondering if the chassis is strong enough for any sort of pull away at traffic lights etc? I am not looking to do anything dangerous but the car I use to tow has a bit of power and worried I would damage the chassis if I pull away too quick?

Danny

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a Bailey 760 and was wondering if the chassis is strong enough for any sort of pull away at traffic lights etc? I am not looking to do anything dangerous but the car I use to tow has a bit of power and worried I would damage the chassis if I pull away too quick?

Danny
Under normal traffic conditions the caravan chassis is well able to cope with acceleration forces. But why would you want to “drag” a caravan away from traffic lights other than to “peeve” a boy racer 🤭
However you will be increasing the stress on the cars power train and drive shafts as well as tyre wear too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't be worried about the chassis, It's the super structure and internal fittings that are the weakest points.

If you value your car and caravan you won't wish to put unnecessary stresses into either of them.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Like what otherclive says why do want to pull away to quick i too have powerful car but i just take it nice and steady at traffic lights with my outfit i would not like to put stress on my car and van

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The chassis should not be a problem, but accelerating too fast can disturb things in the caravan which could then get damaged.. Just take it easy it is safer and more fuel efficient.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think you need to worry about the chassis. Back in the 70's there was full blown circuit racing at Silverstone and other places and I can assure you full power was applied at the starts without any subsequent problems.
Others have questioned your reasons - I would only suggest you consider whether - in the event of having to make an emergency stop - the overall braking would be adequate and safe.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with Ray if i went at full power with my car i think alot stuff would move around inside, i think you need to take it at a reasonable speed when taking off

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts