Push buttons or shove it?

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
Will I need a mover on a quattro ES or dart 630/6 with an average MPTLM of 1575kgs or can you push them into place easily. If a mover is required, which one is proven technology please?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Philip,

I do wonder if there is a bit of the chicken or the egg syndrome here. Before movers, twin axle caravans were less common, partly because they are difficult to manhandle round sharp corners. But since caravan movers have been around, the number of TA's variants has increased.

I will only say that there are two generic types of caravan mover, and the type that fits to the A frame only has limited ability unless the ground is hard and flat, so to a TA I strongly recommend a mover that activates the main road wheels, but as for which one I cant say as I do not have one of my own.

So far I have managed without one even though I regularly use a heavy TA trailer. Perhaps I've just been lucky or experience allows me to avoid some of the difficult situations where a mover would be helpful.

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Getting a new 4 berth van today but even with the previous 2 berth SA van, I needed a mover to get it up over the small kerb onto the hardstanding at home or wait for a kind neighbour to pass by. Also very handy when trying to get into position and level when on site. I say go for it.

PS. The neighbours kids are also very impressed with my remote control caravan and want one as well!!!!

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I have a Reich mover fitted to my single axle Burstner that grosses at 1700kg.

It is more than capable of getting my van up the slope and into the garden.

I have to use a mover as the rear end just clears the ground with the jockey wheel as low as possible when reversing in

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It depends a lot on what sort of surface you will normally be manoeuvring the caravan. You will probably find it difficult to move one as heavy as yours on soft ground or gravel, but if you use only proper hardstandings you may be OK.

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
It depends a lot on what sort of surface you will normally be manoeuvring the caravan. You will probably find it difficult to move one as heavy as yours on soft ground or gravel, but if you use only proper hardstandings you may be OK.
Thanks All, picking up my Dart next week, will try to get away without on efirst and see how we go!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Go for a mover - as HID reminded me when first considering a mover many years ago, it's cheaper than a hernia operation and probably more fun.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
mover. You haven't got to use it if you are on level smoothish ground, but you'll be glad you've got it as soon as you hit a gravel pitch, a slope or a lumpy bumpy rutted rally field.

mel

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
philip, i have had heavy twin axles for years now and always tow with a 4x4, i also am an hgv driver so am confident about manouvering the caravan into any given space, but i would recommend a mover to anyone who has a twin axle as it makes life so much nicer for you. my last van was had a truma mover fitted and although it did work it was useless at turning and as soon as you hit gravel or grass the wheels slipped and dug the van in, needing the 4x4 to be hitched up again. i changed my van earlier this year and decided to have a powrtouch model 6 4x4 mover fitted and it is the best thing since sliced bread!!! it will move the van over any surface with ease and also turns it too. it is very much a personal preference but this mover is the best money i have spent in a long time apart from my new van of course.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
We always either used the car to reverse the van into place, or we man-handled it, whichever was easier at the time. We had 3 sons who could help us so there were no problems. As the family got older and one by one stopped coming away with us, the man-handling got a bit harder.

A couple of years ago we went to get our van out of storage with no family to help. I could not reverse the car up to the van to hitch it up so my wife and myself had to push it by hand. What a struggle we had, and it made our minds up to get a mover rather than spoil our holiday with a back injury.

It was the best thing we ever bought for the van. I now get the van from storage on my own, hitch up on sites on my own and it was invaluable when manovering the van onto plots on France.

I would recommend a mover for anyone with a van.

We have a Powrtouch and are very happy with it.

Graeme.

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Getting a new 4 berth van today but even with the previous 2 berth SA van, I needed a mover to get it up over the small kerb onto the hardstanding at home or wait for a kind neighbour to pass by. Also very handy when trying to get into position and level when on site. I say go for it.

PS. The neighbours kids are also very impressed with my remote control caravan and want one as well!!!!
Lol, our neighbours kids were fascinated by ours too. The biggest remote control toy they had ever seen ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts