Push tow bar

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi, we have recently moved and I am struggling to reverse our van into a tight space on the drive. I am considering fitting a tow bar on the front of my car to assist the manoeuvring, has anyone got a recommendation? Thank you.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Practice reversing in an open empty space, ie car park, check you have good vision with your towing mirrors, this is not sarcasm but you'd be surprised who many times I've seen people towing with mirrors that seem too small or not extended enough, don't be disheartened, reversing straight can be very difficult, especially with a smaller caravan.

Sean.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Try these guys. They have advertised for years.
http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/front_towbars.html
However bear in mind the towbar is off centre which in itself may preclude you achieving the required result. A centre fitting , you probably wont see much. Save for a while longer and take up SIR WCs suggestion. A motor m

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have to negotiate a small dog leg to get my van down the side of my garage, bought a motor mover, best thing I ever did, for ease of use and precise parking. get one you wont regret it.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our drive is also a so and so to get onto with a wiggle at the end. Motor mover does the job easy peasey.
Mel

gyp

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi , Have had a front tow bar (Offset to nearside ) and agree with above comments. Now use a motor mover which is much easier to move the van . However the cost is appox 3 times higher.Also note that a motor mover is better fror lining up an Alko Secure lock , if you use on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Before the days of movers I had a front towball offset to near side and found it very useful. That was on a Mk.1 Disco. Enquiring about fitting to more recent tow cars which do not have seperate chassis, I was cautioned that I would need to be very careful using it, as the fitting would be close to the front air bag sensors and that giving the hitch an unintentional thump could cause airbags to deploy ( with considerablle expense to reinstall).
So I would agree, get a motor mover (but reversing practice is also an excellent idea for when you find yourself in a traffic situation where you can't unhitch)
Mover technology has improved over the years, and the costs are quite reasonable if you consider the cost of rectifying even relatively minor damage caused by backing ito something.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have a narrow drive on a hill and the drive slopes sharply down from the road and there is a lamp post opposite just where the car goes if you reverse in. We invested in a motor mover and it was superb. Our problem then got worse when the ever widening caravans got too wide for the drive but for anyone with a difficult drive they are the answer in our opinion.

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Another suggestion. Have you looked at a Mr Shifta caravan mover. This is a battery operated 2 wheel trolley that fits to the caravan towbar and you steer it with a long handle. You can either push or pull the caravan

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Access into our garden, where we keep our caravan, is very tight and I decided I would have to buy a motor mover but I did not want to carry the extra weight on the van so I opted for a Bigfoot Motor Mover. I do not carry it in the car when we go on site and have never felt the need for one when on a site.
In 2002 it cost £650 new from Motor Mover Ltd., supplied and fitted at home. I see there is one on a well known web site being bid for at the moment.
Motor Mover Ltd is based in Mayfield , near Ashourne.
This type of mover depends on the nose-weight for traction and will not be suitable if you have a steep incline. With a mover fitted on the wheels you get the whole weight of the van for traction.
I can remember this subject being discussed before on this forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts