Pushing a caravan...

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Is there any reason that you could not attach a tow bar/ball to the front of your car and push it in up the hill.Tey do sell these for this type of manouvre

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The current method of describing the steepness of a road gradient is in % The bigger the percentage number the steeper it is

In essence divide the vertical rise by the horizontal distance and x100 so

1 in 10 = 10%

1 in 5 = 20%

1 in 4 = 25%

So if your mover handles 1250Kg on a 1 in 4, 1 in 5 is less steep so it should manage 800Kg with relative ease.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A motor mover on the van is easily the best choice as I'm sure you know.

However back in 1966 when such things didn't exist, I had a similar problem with a Sprite Alpine. I bought a rachet winch of the type used to pull boats up onto trailers and mounted it very securly at the top of the slope. Then I could winch the van up and let it gently down the slope. Going up, I had two chocks - one each side - trailed behind the wheels such that should the cable break the van would run up onto them and stop. Going down the chocks had to be placed by hand at about 3 ft intervals. make sure winch and cable are good for well above van weight and keep well clear of the cable when it is under load.

The whole thing is only as good as the way the winch is fixed to something solid, so please make sure of this. I think you coud get such a winch for under

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A motor mover on the van is easily the best choice as I'm sure you know.

However back in 1966 when such things didn't exist, I had a similar problem with a Sprite Alpine. I bought a rachet winch of the type used to pull boats up onto trailers and mounted it very securly at the top of the slope. Then I could winch the van up and let it gently down the slope. Going up, I had two chocks - one each side - trailed behind the wheels such that should the cable break the van would run up onto them and stop. Going down the chocks had to be placed by hand at about 3 ft intervals. make sure winch and cable are good for well above van weight and keep well clear of the cable when it is under load.

The whole thing is only as good as the way the winch is fixed to something solid, so please make sure of this. I think you coud get such a winch for under

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha - so much advice! As it turns out the caravan I'm going to get is probably an 18 foot 975 kg 1979 Buccaneer, and whilst storage (for those who recommended it) IS a good idea, I want my caravan at home - plus as most people say, the cost of storage after a couple of years would pay for a motor mover!

As for what type, it seems that most would agree an axle mover is the best, but I can't afford it - simple as that - I can maybe stretch to 300 quidm and so I think it will have to be either the winch idea, which sounds good... or a hitch drive type device... probably a Mr Shifta 2, as they seem to come up ofr about my budget: anybody got info on that particular make and model in regards my type of situation?

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha - so much advice! As it turns out the caravan I'm going to get is probably an 18 foot 975 kg 1979 Buccaneer, and whilst storage (for those who recommended it) IS a good idea, I want my caravan at home - plus as most people say, the cost of storage after a couple of years would pay for a motor mover!

As for what type, it seems that most would agree an axle mover is the best, but I can't afford it - simple as that - I can maybe stretch to 300 quidm and so I think it will have to be either the winch idea, which sounds good... or a hitch drive type device... probably a Mr Shifta 2, as they seem to come up ofr about my budget: anybody got info on that particular make and model in regards my type of situation?

Thanks!
Please get on with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Matthew,

The Mr Shifta is a well built honest product, and I know a number of people who have used them, but it is an "A frame" mover and my comments above apply.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Matthew, I had a demo of an A frame mover here at home, and it failed miserably to move my 16ft van up a moderate hill into my yard.

Imo, you'd be wasting your money.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Don't forget that if your caravan is at home everytime you go away the whole neighbour knows plus other unsavoury characters. Also it is easier to steal a caravan from a house than most but not all storage places.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts