Pushing a caravan...

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Our drive has an 8 and a half foot gateway, and then opens up onto a space 15 foot by about40 odd feet, but, it is sort of an oblong shape with the entry gate along one long side of the oblong... the whole thing slopes quite badly, maybe 1 in 5? one foot up for every five foot along... my question is would two fit 30 something adults be able to push a 700 kg up the drive and then turn it into the oblong given that sort of gradient?

Thanks!!

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Have you thought what will happen if you are nearly out and you have to stop and hold it ? and then set off pushing again ? what happens if it starts to roll back ? what happens if one of you hurts yourselves when your away ?

I would invest in a mover, its a lot cheaper than having to have some damage repaired, and you can move it in and out by yourself,

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
You realy need to know how much it weighs max when fully loaded, you have put in your post 700kg ??? the only thing what worrys me is how steep your drive is... if you keep looking on E-Bay you might find a secondhand mover..

E-Bay motor movers

What type of van is it ??

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Mathew you don,t say if your 15ftx40ft is grass,concrete or actually garden why can,t you drive in frontways with the van hooked up, then unhook, push the van to one side,you should still have 7ft 6 inches left reverse car out passed your van then turn van if possible or leave it and go out backwards ready to go again, this of course may not be able to be done depends what your ground is or reverse the van in untill passed the steep part then unhook and push the rest of way

cheers Duggie

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
now of the purple line mover not to many good reports in fact none the drive gear is week and traction is no good you have to stand on it .Euro tech or big foot is heavey so more traction but as i said the a frame will need to be down hill so the caravan load will be on the hitch drive.

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Mathew you don,t say if your 15ftx40ft is grass,concrete or actually garden why can,t you drive in frontways with the van hooked up, then unhook, push the van to one side,you should still have 7ft 6 inches left reverse car out passed your van then turn van if possible or leave it and go out backwards ready to go again, this of course may not be able to be done depends what your ground is or reverse the van in untill passed the steep part then unhook and push the rest of way

cheers Duggie
The front part of the drive is very steep - as I said about 1 in 5, all the electrical movers say that that is probably too steep, I can't drive in forwards and then revers out as I have a volvo 240 and it is slightly too long and wide, I think, to do that move.

The drive is concrete slabbed.

Reversing it half way up might be an idea... if the road is clear at the time. Hopefully that might work...

Maybe I'm just nervous about reversing? Anybody live in Stockport who could help lol.

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
The front part of the drive is very steep - as I said about 1 in 5, all the electrical movers say that that is probably too steep, I can't drive in forwards and then revers out as I have a volvo 240 and it is slightly too long and wide, I think, to do that move.

The van is an ABI Ace Diplomat - 800 kg gross weight

The drive is concrete slabbed.

Reversing it half way up might be an idea... if the road is clear at the time. Hopefully that might work...

Maybe I'm just nervous about reversing? Anybody live in Stockport who could help lol.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
If you are able to provide an anchor point, you could use a block and tackle arrangement. Correctly set up, a block and tackle will cut your effort load by half or even a quarter.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
What ever you do on that slope if man-handling go in backwards as the hand-brake is much more effective and logical in operation that way than it is in stopping rolling backwards.

I feel the slope at 1:5 is too much to take on but if you do get stuck the following "trick" will help;

Put the hand brake on sufficiently for the van not to roll forwards back down the slope; then move the hitch from side to side. This causes the wheel on one side and then the other to roll a little bit up the slope as you move from side to side. The effort to move backwards being far less than bodily trying to move the van backwards. All to do with leverage.

You ought to keep one hand on the hand brake ready if things go wrong.

I cant stress enough doing this needs great care but its a very useful technique all the same.

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everybody, the 'wriggling' it up the slope sounds good. I did think about storage, but seems a waste with such a big area of storage at the front.

I wish I had a practice caravan lol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Matthew,

Reading of your situation really concerns me. Manhandling even a small caravan on a 1in 5 is highly dangerous - consider if one of you looses their footing, the weight of the caravan would all too easily over power the other person, and I dread to think of the possible consequences of injury or even damage.

This no only leaves mechanical assistance if you intend to persevere with you own storage.

For space reasons you have discounted using a vehicle, so that leaves winches or caravan movers.

A winch basically only allows you to pull in one direction so if you need to turn the caravan to park it then your back to the manual handling concerns.

This now leaves motor movers. There are basically two types, those that fit to the nose of the caravan which I generically call A frame movers. And those that drive that drive the main wheels that I call Axle movers.

Whilst the ability to start to move a caravan is of course important, of greater importance is the ability to stop or control the caravan once it is moving. Even a 800Kg caravan on a 1 in 5 packs a lot of kinetic energy which has to be controlled safely.

Most movers have plenty of power, but power is no use if you don't have the traction to be able to use the power. In fact without going through a lot of physics, the maximum traction or Drawbar force can only be great as the down force on the driven wheel. Not enough down force and the wheel spins. The same applies to braking, so stopping the movement or holding it on a slope is also related to the down force.

Now consider an A frame mover - if the nose weight of your caravan is say 75Kg, and the weight of the mover is 25kg that is only 100Kg on the driven wheel.

On a 1in 5 slope roughly 20% of the down force is lost because of the resolution of forces in a triangle and equally 20% 0f the caravans weight is transferred as force down the plane of slope, so that is 160kg trying to push the caravan down the slope with only 80 to 100Kg load on the mover wheel, there is a very real danger of uncontrolled skidding. Add to that the additional loss of traction due to wet surfaces or leaves etc and in your situation an A frame mover looks like a non starter.

By comparison, an axle mover has roughly half the total weight of the caravan on each wheel, so there is a very significant safety margin against skidding.

The whole principal behind the original Carver caravan mover was to enable the caravan to be moved up a 1 in 4 slope, a feature that has been covered by most movers, and that was with a bigger caravan than yours, so an axle mover should be fine for your needs.

Please don't go away with the thought that I am against the A frame movers. They definitely have their place and uses, but its horses for courses, and an A frame unit I believe could be a recipe for disaster in your given circumstances.

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks John for your detailed post - I share, obviously your concerns!

Unfortunately I can't level the drive, as is supports the front of the drive lol... I don't want to park the caravan there at the cost of my house lol... or my health if I tried to manhandle it...

Mechanical it must be, and seemingly on the axle wheels... but that will be very expensive won't it?

Oh God! Might have to think about renting storage eh?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks John for your detailed post - I share, obviously your concerns!

Unfortunately I can't level the drive, as is supports the front of the drive lol... I don't want to park the caravan there at the cost of my house lol... or my health if I tried to manhandle it...

Mechanical it must be, and seemingly on the axle wheels... but that will be very expensive won't it?

Oh God! Might have to think about renting storage eh?
One other advantage of the axle mover, is that it is with you wherever you go and ready to use, where as the A frame devices usually have to attached each time you want to use them.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi mathew,

some very good advice given so far but here is my slant on it all.

buy a axel mover as john L suggests you dont have to pay a fortune for one as there are used ones about quite cheaply and even if you do have to buy new @

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Our driveway has a slight incline and the length means we have to park the caravan a frame first. As a motor mover would cost more than the caravan is worth so we opted for a mechanical winch which sits onto a post which is burried into the ground.

One of us operates the winch and the other just guides the caravan into the driveway so that we don't hit the gate post or car. Its surprisingly easy to operate and does the job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts