Putting USB socket in van

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Another question, what a great site, what would we do without it, i would like to add a couple of USB sockets in my van fed directly from my leisure battery, I want to be able to charge my phone and run a fan IF it's stays hot.
What's the best solution for this, have looked at a few but always best to get advice from someone who's done it and not burnt down their van :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If your caravan has a built in round 12v socket, rather than making holes in the cabinets or fiddling about with fuses and wiring it might be a better idea to use on of These

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
No sadly it hasn't got one, it has 7 240v plugs but we go wild quite often and I want to be able to charge phone and run fan but was thinking crocodile clips onto battery and run lead in window to save on holes LOL just need something with long enough cable and safe

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
AlexandriaUK said:
No sadly it hasn't got one, it has 7 240v plugs but we go wild quite often and I want to be able to charge phone and run fan but was thinking crocodile clips onto battery and run lead in window to save on holes LOL just need something with long enough cable and safe

Why not use a couple of larger charge through power packs? Although more difficult to use if off grid.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Not tried it myself but used '12v USB port' as a search and first up was Amazon who supply the like with 2 x 2.1 sockets - one even has a useful battery voltage display for about £11.00. Connected with two wires +ve and -ve. It's sold for caravans, cars, boats etc. Unless another reader thinks it inadvisable these could be connected piggyback to the battery terminals with an automotive fuse in the +ve line.

You can also replace single mains sockets for socket that has additionally 2 usb sockets -various finishes available from white to satin so the socket and the usbs can be used simultaneously. (about 10.00 to 20.00 depending on how posh you choose.

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
First one sounds feasible but second one how do you use a mains socket for 12 volt, does that mean I have to disconnect the mainstay on that one and bring lead from battery to behind plug??

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Two alternatives - the mains version would clearly only operate when using electric hook-up on site, while the 12v version would work from battery only.

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
We are only going to need 12 volt when we are off grid because when we are on EH we have loads of plugs in fact we only use four.
Have ordered a kit of eBay so when it arrives I will let you know how easy it is too fit

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a note and something to consider.

Virtually all 12V to USB converters use a what is called a buck converter to change the voltage from 12 to 5V. These are generally quite efficient, but when they are unused they still draw a small current - its very small but it is there none the less. If you fit any of these, it might be wise to also fit an on off switch so you can isolate them when not in use.

The other alternative, is to fit a cigar type lighter socket, and use the plug in converters used in cars.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Just a note and something to consider.

Virtually all 12V to USB converters use a what is called a buck converter to change the voltage from 12 to 5V. These are generally quite efficient, but when they are unused they still draw a small current - its very small but it is there none the less. If you fit any of these, it might be wise to also fit an on off switch so you can isolate them when not in use.

The other alternative, is to fit a cigar type lighter socket, and use the plug in converters used in cars.

My in car plug ins draw current even when no device is attached and the ignition is off. But it must be so small in comparison to the battery capacity that unless you left it for a long while it wouldn’t flatten the battery any more than would the cars alarm.

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I think I need to go on an understanding USB socket course LOL so if I'm right in my understanding if I fit a USB socket direct to the battery I need A an inline fuse and B an on off switch to make sure I don't flatten the battery.
Or will it be such a small amount of charge taken the solar panel will be sufficient to cover the small loss

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
AlexandriaUK said:
Sorry to be blonde, but what are these and yes it is specifically for wild camping

A small pack containing a Lithium battery that you charge up at home from mains or in the car as you toodle around. You can then use it to charge your phone when off net. Does it by giving you a short USB cable exactly as you would use for charging. You put the big USB plug into your supply socket, and the small USB plug into the pack to charge it. Then when you want to use it to charge your phone you use the cable the other way around - the pack has large and small USB sockets.
They come in different power ratings, anything from 2000mAh to 10000mAh - the bigger you get the more charges you will get out of it. My daughter gave me one of these for Christmas tinyurl.com/y8nhvmb3 and it is brilliant. Rymans have also been doing some smaller types at less than a tenner on offer. They hold their charge for months.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
AlexandriaUK said:
I think I need to go on an understanding USB socket course LOL so if I'm right in my understanding if I fit a USB socket direct to the battery I need A an inline fuse and B an on off switch to make sure I don't flatten the battery.
Or will it be such a small amount of charge taken the solar panel will be sufficient to cover the small loss

Hello Alexandria,

I realise the point I was trying to make in my last post was not really clear. A previous poster had just suggested fitting the USB connectors, and providing they are good quality ones, the standby current they use will be very small, and certainly less than the caravan alarm system, so for most people nothing to be concerned about. But some of the poorer designed usb adaptors may have bigger stand by current, still not massive, but because their on all the time, what they use, does accumulate into a more significant amount.

If you want to caravan "of grid" then you need to be able to stop all unused appliances and fittings like USB sockets from unnecessary power usage to maximise battery life, so having the ability to switch off such devices may be important.
From an engineering point of view, it is simply good practice to be able to isolate every power consuming device, even if it is as small as a usb adaptor, if for nothing else to enablecircuit testing and fault finding.

If you are using a solar panel, then that will easily offset the power demands of the usb adaptors, so no worries there.

Even 12v wiring has the potential to cause a fire if a short circuit fault arises, so proper circuit protection such as fuses is a definite yes.

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I see what you mean and I am going to go to a local electrical shop today and see what they sell and get their advice regarding inline fuses, I'm presuming their the little glass ones that you see in some older caravans, might even *** to a caravan shop which is not too far away, a wealth of knowledge is power LOL thank you all so much, I think I am understanding things better than before

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Was just looking at post re Sabre awning where the last post links to a Trudgians video. After looking at the video there’s another link to the Trudgians fitting a neat dual USB point into the caravan. Step by step. Might be of help.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYiqyY-Tj0

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts