question about 3 berth caravans

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
hi

we are searching for our 1st ever caravan. we have been looking for over a month now and still deciding what to buy (fixed bed? non fixed bed?/ 2 berth? 4 berth?)

so many choices, getting fed up now - just want to buy!

we are young couple - no kids, just german shepherd dog, really like the bailey caravans (as they seem more value for money)..

we have seen a 3 berth caravan advertised privately but cannot work out they layout as we have never seen a 3 berth before,...seller says it has a side dinette...so am I right in thinking its layout is just like a 4 berth without the top bunk????!!

any answers would help thanks!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They may have had the top bunk removed as you suggested. There are 3 births around, but to my knowledge none of them are Baileys. There is a huge choice out there and finding one that fits your lifestyle won't be easy, not many get it right first time. As a couple though, I would lean towards a fixed bed van or one that has a rear seating area that can be left made as a bed, but everyone has their different priorities. Welcome to the world of caravans anyway, we know you're going to enjoy it.

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
thanks for the advice...blimey - can always be guaranteed of a quick response on here!

checked and the caravan we enquired about is a bailey - a bailey "regency" which is a 50th anniversary edition, year 2000.

i have asked if they can send some pics.

anyway, suppose all the fun is in the searching!

thanks again and will let you all know about our exciting purchase!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wayne There is a 523 Regent Millenium Special edition 3 berth on www.caravans-for-sale.com then select classifieds.

There are photos, it appears to be same layout as Pageant Champagne without the top bunk i.e. end bathroom, centre dinnette. Ray

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
ray (c)

thanks a lot - (how did you spot that!?)

anyway, looks a good buy - with a motor mover aswell, at least now i have an idea of layout, so IT IS just like a 4berth without the top bunk, so if there is only the 2 of us and an awning then we have plenty of room should we have guests also.

i will e mail the vendors.

cheers.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I was in your position six months ago (except we have 2 dogs!) -now we are the proud owners of a top-quality, five year old van purchased at a third of new price, and with loads of extras thrown in!

We had an open mind on layout, and were more interested in value for money so that if we got it wrong, we could sell again without losing out!

A sound buy is more important than lay-out - in your circumstances you could probably live with any 2 or 4 berth lay-out - it will come down to your personal choice.

You ought to be able to sniff out a genuine seller - ideally you want a discerning, mature couple (!) who are giving up their pride and joy, for whatever reason.

The van shd be immaculate inside and out, and you should be offered all handbooks, bills, service receipts, etc. It's good to know the history of the van, which hopefully will be one owner. Walk away from anything that you are not sure about (and from anybody you are not sure about!)

Caravanfinder.co.uk is an excellent website to test availability/prices, etc on the second hand market.

You don't mention your tow car - and that will have a massive bearing on what you can buy.

Ascertain it's weight and from that starting point make sure your prospective van purchase does not exceed 85%. Also check the hitch-weight limit of your car and make sure that your caravan noseweight (check it before buying) is within tolerable limits (otherwise you will always be adjusting your loading - better if you don't have to).

Draw up a shortlist, and get out there quickly to good prospects; try and get an assurance before you leave of a first refusal, to avoid a wasted trip.

There are good deals to be had out there - the challenge is finding them! Enjoy..

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
thanks for all the advice colin.

our towcar is a landrover freelander TD4, and i have worked out that 85% is approx 1300kg. checked out on the landrover website and someone advised not to worry about the 85% and go to the full towing limit. but we will probably stick to the 85% anyway as all the vans we like are mostly bailey's which are pretty light.

we have e mailed loads of private sellers about various vans, but someone always seems to get there first!

we have cash ready and waiting and just waiting for that van!

you are very right though - looking out for the 1 owner vans from the more mature owners who are retiring from caravanning cos i know we will get a well loved and looked after caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts