Question for Damian

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Damian,
I mention in a previous post about my rubber window surround which is being done on Monday but because my caravan is ten year old and I wanted to go down the bodge job route if I used a silicone adhesive behind the rubber surround would this not cure the problem also if a rubber surround had a silicone adhesive backing when new would this not be an improvement on stopping water ingress from rubber window surrounds,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Camel,
Whilst I understand your situation it is not as easy as it seems.
Because the original window rubber , and the new replacement rubber, have a mastic bead installed in manufacture any other medium will not stick to it, leaving a route for water to continue to get into the van.

Ideally the old rubber needs removing, the wood window surround drying out, the contact area fully cleaned of mastic and prepared to accept the new mastic, then the new rubber fitting.

What you are proposing would give some benefit but it would only be a very limited amount, and it is extraordinarily difficult to get a good continuous bead of mastic behind an already fitted rubber.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello Camel,
Whilst I understand your situation it is not as easy as it seems.
Because the original window rubber , and the new replacement rubber, have a mastic bead installed in manufacture any other medium will not stick to it, leaving a route for water to continue to get into the van.

Ideally the old rubber needs removing, the wood window surround drying out, the contact area fully cleaned of mastic and prepared to accept the new mastic, then the new rubber fitting.

What you are proposing would give some benefit but it would only be a very limited amount, and it is extraordinarily difficult to get a good continuous bead of mastic behind an already fitted rubber.
Thanks Damian my engineer picked the problem up early which will be repaired on Monday I was just having a eureka moment but I do accept your what you have said, thank you

Reactions: Damian
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Damian my engineer picked the problem up early which will be repaired on Monday I was just having a eureka moment but I do accept your what you have said, thank you
Damian, I had my window rubber fitted yesterday keeping two meters from my engineer, but can you give me some. info because I need to reseal the battery box are the screws likely to snap like some do when they are removed from the awning rail and off the top of your head do you know the size of the screws, I was going to start today but I'm following Bojo's advice and not going near the storage site,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Camel,
The screws should not present any problem in removing them as they are quite well protected from the weather when the door is shut.
Replacement screws I use are Stainless Steel and from recollection they are 4.5mm diam by 15mm long, but do check what your old ones are, and if in good condition, reuse them.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi Camel,
The screws should not present any problem in removing them as they are quite well protected from the weather when the door is shut.
Replacement screws I use are Stainless Steel and from recollection they are 4.5mm diam by 15mm long, but do check what your old ones are, and if in good condition, reuse them.
Cheers Damian helpful once again,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts