Question on Annual Service.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Following on from a topic currently running it has got me thinking.
I use a mobile engineer, been with this one for the last five years, and as I am at work when it is done I cant keep my eye on him.
So;
1. How long would it reasonably Take ? ( He was there just under 3 hours)
2. Should he have reported the squeak I have ? (It is obvious)
3. And would/should he notice/report delaminated floor ?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A full service should take no less than 4 hours.
Any faults found during the service which are outside the normal service items should have been reported to you to enable you to make an informed decision on the way forward.
That includes squeaks and certainly delamination.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I am no expert but surely these things should have been noted at least.
I have always tried to do almost everything myself all 3 vans I have owned had not been serviced regularly but had been lovingly looked after by the owners and it showed.
Why trust someone else to look after your pride and joy?
Ok if you are trying to keep the service book all stamped up to date etc but if like me your service book is not full of stamps then there is no better person than yourself to service your van as long as you are competent enough to do it.
I know I will have lots of people saying you should have it serviced but why? As kevin has proved they don't check everything and we could do just as good if not a better job at it.
Sorry to hear of your problems kev. Will have a chat next weekend buddy over a beer.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I understand the official figure is four hours but three and a half seems to be possible. Under three looks like skimping but there may be some reason.
The squeak should have been picked up if it is heard when walking on the floor and the delamination should unless it was in some way hidden.

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Does the engineer give you a printed sheet showing all of the tasks to be done and ticked off or commented on when the job is finnished?
Just a thought.
Rgds

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wilbury said:
Hi,
Does the engineer give you a printed sheet showing all of the tasks to be done and ticked off or commented on when the job is finnished?
Just a thought.
Rgds
If he is an Approved Workshop he MUST give a fully completed work sheet and damp report which list of every task carried out and readings at the points of damp testing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev

An annual service at my dealer is 4 plus hours.
Did you discover the squeaky floor before or after the service?

Repair wise can you do a Sprocket fix. The best I've ever seen.

You have the ability to do this Kev. Take pics. Do I smell a pair of Milencos coming your way?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Wilbury said:
Yes, but did he?

Hi Wilbury , Yes he did.

The list says, Floor-check for sponginess/delamination he has ticked the P box for a pass!!!

No mention of the squeak.

Full illustrated damp report varying from 9% to 16% EXCEPT 40% where previous repair was carried out.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Hi Kev

An annual service at my dealer is 4 plus hours.
Did you discover the squeaky floor before or after the service?

Repair wise can you do a Sprocket fix. The best I've ever seen.

You have the ability to do this Kev. Take pics. Do I smell a pair of Milencos coming your way?

Had the squeak before but it is getting noticeably worse,
A Sprocket repair is on the cards (See Peeved off topic)
If I do take pics I will have to give Sprocket one of the milenco's :)

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Kev,
A thought occurs, (they can't touch you for it).
Have you tried opening everything that it is possible to open, and I do mean everything, doors, windows, cupboards, rooflights, entrance door (a favourite squeaker) lids, covers,draws, absolutely everything that can be brought out of cantact with anything else and seeing if the squeak has changed or gone.
It only needs a few thousandths of an inch of movement to create a squeak and perfectly normal flexing can easily produce this and there are so many surfaces in a caravan that can act as a resonator/amplifier I thought it may be an avenue worth exploring.
You could also try physically pulling and pushing all the items of furniture and fittings to see if any noises are created
Rgds

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Wilbury said:
Hi Kev,
A thought occurs, (they can't touch you for it).
Have you tried opening everything that it is possible to open, and I do mean everything, doors, windows, cupboards, rooflights, entrance door (a favourite squeaker) lids, covers,draws, absolutely everything that can be brought out of cantact with anything else and seeing if the squeak has changed or gone.
It only needs a few thousandths of an inch of movement to create a squeak and perfectly normal flexing can easily produce this and there are so many surfaces in a caravan that can act as a resonator/amplifier I thought it may be an avenue worth exploring.
You could also try physically pulling and pushing all the items of furniture and fittings to see if any noises are created
Rgds

Hi Wilbury, have found where the squeak is coming from, opposite the door is the dinette and the wheel arch is central to the dinette table. When you get half way across the caravan then the squeak starts, it covers the area above the wheel arch, up to the window and to the left of the arch about 750mm.
If I go outside and put only the slightest of pressure (finger tip) on the walls then the squeak is heard and it is quite loud. This makes me feel that when walking on the floor the joint between the floor and wall has deteriated some what. It may even be the bonding on the side wall itself that has broken down caused by the delaminated floor. Am really baffled on this one and am afraid it will be a process of elimination (and costly) starting with the floor. Luckily I am capable of tackling it myself, Thanks for your input.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
You have probably checked but it maybe the interior wallboard is rubbing the plastic wheel arch ? or the Dinette seating is rubbing on the wallboard,
Our squeak was really doing my head in so know what your going through.

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Kev,
I am not familiar with the construction but can you check that it is not any bonding of the wheel arch that is failing or allowing movement or rubbing? Can you push/pull the arch itself?
Rgds

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
GOT HIM the squeak that is, :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: thanks to John and Wilbury's persistence.

Went to check the wheel arch internally and in doing so had to remove the runner that holds the slats for the dinette seat and guess what ? there he was, sat there looking at me ONE yes ONE damm screw hanging out
Did him up and danced around the van, NO SQUEAK,
1st photo shows location and 2nd one shows the plastic runner covering him.
IMG_2804_zps61bd5385.jpg

IMG_2808_zpsb6a8f449.jpg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Congratulations :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Thank you WC
Hows that song go " I'm so happy now"

In fact so happy I'm off to buy a massive steak to chuck on the new Cadac that arrived yesterday :cheer:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Now I think of it Kevin a recent Prime minister had the same problem.
Our loose screw and the whole cabinet fell apart.

Good news mate.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Now I think of it Kevin a recent Prime minister had the same problem.
Our loose screw and the whole cabinet fell apart.

Good news mate.

I even got to thinking that i would turn up on Wednesday at River Vally with a flat bed trailer

SnickeringDog.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts