quick answer required! SALE PRICES!!!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have an account with a catalogue company. Today, I got their 'sale' booklet. I don't normally buy anything but I just had a quick look in the price reductions part. Saw an electrical item reduced to half price. So I went online to buy it. But on the internet, it was only £50 off.

So I rang the catalogue company, the person taking the order said 'oh we've got loads of them in, I can't authorise a price reduction but I'll put you through to someone who can, they'll reduce the price for you'. The person he put me through to said 'oh' we've had a lot of calls about that item today, the correct price is on the internet'. So I re-iterated the half price offer in the sale book which also states 'sale prices held till 31.1.11 and he said 'that's the correct price on the internet'.

I've asked for one of the managers to call me back.

Do you think there's any change of getting it at the price published in the sale booklet? Any tips etc?

Many thanks.

Lisa

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I wouldn't hold your breath! Personally I can't see them changing their price if they are all saying the internet price is the correct one! However, I did benefit the other way when I bought some Hungarian white down pillows on the internet. I knew they were usually expensive but were advertised at £10.99 for two - so I ordered two. They arrived 24 hours later, and were superb quality, so I tried to order two more - but they'd realised and changed the price. Needless to say I didn't get the next two at £10.99, in fact I didn't buy them at all as they were asking £102.99 EACH! Apparently their copywriter had mis-typed the price!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. One of the managers hasn't phoned me back yet, apparently, they're very busy.....

Blimey Val, that's what I call a bargain.

Lisa

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I think you'll find that under the law a retailer can rightfuly withdraw an item from sale if they get the price wrong. Retailers offer an open invitation to prospective customers to purchase their goods. They can also withdraw that invitation and refuse to sell you anything as far as I know.
Some sellers just don't want bad press and will honour a wrongly priced item.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They've just phoned back. I can't have it at the advertised price in the sale flyer. Apparently, if I read the terms and conditions in the catalogue (not the flyer) it states something like they cannot be held liable if an error on pricing occurs. (Or words to that effect, I throw the catalogue away as soon as it comes anyway, so I don't have a copy to refer to).

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Christmas day two years ago I saw a JVC camcorder with a 30gb hard drive on Curry's website for £130. I checked the comparison sites and the cheapest was around £350. I then checked the stock online at our local Curry's and got one reserved.
I told my SIL about this and he went about it the other way, he ordered one from the Curry's website rather than the store.
When I went to Curry's the following day (Boxing day) to pick it up I fully expected them to say it was a mistake but they didn't. I checked the website again on getting home and yes, it was a mistake and they had corrected it back to £350.
I told my SIL and he didn't expect them to honour it but they did and he received the camcorder a few days later.
It didn't stop there though. With the camcorder came a cashback for £30 from JVC after posting a form off
smiley-smile.gif

Legally I'm sure they don't have to honour it because no money transaction as taken place which by law is the contract of sale.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Lisa they do not have to sell to you, you are making an offer to buy an item its up to the seller to accept that offer.
They can get in trouble from Trading standards for misleading pricing but they hide behind the mistake as we couldnt possibly sell for that price.
Classic is where people try and change the price label on the display or move items to a cheaper location

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts