quick question on alko hitch !

Jun 3, 2005
Visit site
thanks to lutz for you reply, one more question do you feel safe just using the alko, we only had the bulldog stabiliser on the old unit and felt quite safe towing however a bit nervous to rely on just the alko, is it a matter of time before we feel safe with the alko hitch?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure if you want a reply from Lutz but I have used the Alko for 3 years and as a total sceptic am very pleased with it.

I could not accept that gripping a 50mm ball would damp a ton plus of caravan but it does.

I have not used two stabilisers for the last two years and I am hard pressed to tell any difference

The BIG advantage is that its quick and easy to operate and there are no parts to stow away and there is no greasy ball for little fingers or trousers to get on.

Big lorries and coaches now pass and we only know that they are passing when we see them .Almost all suction and swaying of the caravan seems to have become a thing of the past.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I read somewhere that it is not recommended to use a satabilizer alongside an ALCO hitch lock. Could anyone clarify this?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure if you want a reply from Lutz but I have used the Alko for 3 years and as a total sceptic am very pleased with it.

I could not accept that gripping a 50mm ball would damp a ton plus of caravan but it does.

I have not used two stabilisers for the last two years and I am hard pressed to tell any difference

The BIG advantage is that its quick and easy to operate and there are no parts to stow away and there is no greasy ball for little fingers or trousers to get on.

Big lorries and coaches now pass and we only know that they are passing when we see them .Almost all suction and swaying of the caravan seems to have become a thing of the past.
With regards to not noticing lorries and coaches until they pass you , you can always look in your wing mirrors!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for that pearl of wisdom Harry

Seeing is usually done through wing mirrors or do you know of another sense that can be used possibly common sense or would that be stretching it !!

I also see most things in front either through the windscreen or my rear view TV system as well.

The question was about stabiliser performance not rear side or front view I believe even without need to recourse to hindsight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I read somewhere that it is not recommended to use a satabilizer alongside an ALCO hitch lock. Could anyone clarify this?
Ann this reference was to another posting on this site in which I commented that Alko say don't use two stabilisers but Straightliner say that it is OK.

Lutz can quote chapter and verse to tell you that its not permissible but as in my reply I have found it to be not needed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Seeing is done via wing mirrors isn't it.

See my fuller reply

Aug 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simpsons

We had an alko AKS1300 on our last caravan and boy I was glad we had it as we were caught unexpected bya very strong gust of wind. We were in a jeep cherokee with a lunar chateau at the time. Basically the whole outfit was blown sideways onto the hard shoulder and the caravan did lift one wheel. In my opinion without the aks stabiliser hitch I think our caravan would have turned over. I feel very reassured with the AKS hitch. Dont worry they do work very well. Be aware on the first couple of outings the hitch will probably creak a little.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
must admit i used bulldog stabaliser on first van as an alco was not fittedto van.alco is definitely better than the blade type,which i would have personnally thought not possible.but i stand corrected,they are much much better.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi Simpsons

We had an alko AKS1300 on our last caravan and boy I was glad we had it as we were caught unexpected bya very strong gust of wind. We were in a jeep cherokee with a lunar chateau at the time. Basically the whole outfit was blown sideways onto the hard shoulder and the caravan did lift one wheel. In my opinion without the aks stabiliser hitch I think our caravan would have turned over. I feel very reassured with the AKS hitch. Dont worry they do work very well. Be aware on the first couple of outings the hitch will probably creak a little.
Frictional stabilisers like the AlKo are passive systems that only increase the threshold limit when instability is likely to occur. They don't reduce the effects of instability if this (admittedly higher) threshold is exceeded. In other words, if the caravan goes into a snake despite an AlKo being fitted, the result will be much the same as without a stabiliser. Only active systems or, if you're lucky, your own good reaction, will get you out of a snake if the worst happens.

TRENDING THREADS