Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trying to work out most cost effective / cheapest way of getting from Petrbrough to Quimper in Brittany. Poole to Cherbourg, Portsmouth - Cherbourg or Portsmouth - St Malo or plain old Dover - Calais and hump it along for 8 / 9 hours

Please help us we are european caravanning virgins !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The most cost effective depends a lot on when you are prepared to sail(over night ferries are often cheaper), do you want to drive a longer distance when you arrive off ferry, is the ferry journey a part of the holiday or an inconvenience to be put up with, there are lots of other considerations to take in, ie. Dover/Calais has 20minute check in time and a travel time of 1 and quarter travel, the tunnel has a check in time of 15mins and 30mins travel, most of the others have a 1 hour check in and any thing from 4 to 12 hours travel. I have just done a quick check and Dover/Calais appears to be cheaper by about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil

I am looking in to going to Benodet which is on the coast the other side of Quimper I have found that the ferries aren't any cheaper overnight as they all make you book either reclining chairs or cabins

which actually works out more expensive.

I will be travelling from Rochdale Lancs using the Plymouth Roscoff ferry which will cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would have thought that as an European caravan virgins the obvious answer would be to do most of the driving in this country and the least abroad. We were in a similar position three years ago visiting Benodet in Brittany. We sailed from Plymouth to Roscoff and as we were delayed by two hours we spent the first night at the port side in Roscoff where there are excellent facilities for the wc/shower as well as shop and all for free. Quimper is then approximately 2 hour drive from the port on an excellent dual carraigeway right through (non toll road). The road is well signposted with plenty of prior warning on approaching a roundabout which way to go. Our only concern on this road was lack of petrol stations therefore I would suggest that if you follow this route you fill up at Plymouth prior to sailing, this will be more than sufficient for you to reach Quimper. The ferry crossing was brilliant both ways, however if you are taking the night ferry I would strongly recommend booking a cabin and not the reclining seats as they are very uncomfortable to sleep on and the area tends to be noisy with babies unfortunately crying throughout the night.

Which ever route you take I am sure that the journey will be an enjoyable part of your holiday. Have a great time. P.S. Be sure to visit Benodet and Concarnau - excellent scenery and beaches.

Colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil. Definitely Plymouth to Roscoff is your best bet for Quimper. Hope you have a great time. We were new to caravanning in Europe last year and we think it is far easier and more enjoyable than in UK!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Further to my previous reply why not contact Select Sites at Abergavenny (web site: www.select-site.com). They arranged all the necessary paperwork, insurances, ferries, etc. All we required was spending money and our passports. We stayed at Camping Du Letty in Benodet - absolutly fantastic time and all worries of organising the ferries aet., taken care of. Well worth the few extra pounds compared with the hassle of trying to organise everything yourself.

As I said previously good luck and enjoy your holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the wise words. I have almost decided to go Calais and accept the long drag across. I worked on Calais - Quimper being 8/9 hours, any of the experienced crew got any variations on that ?

Thansk to all

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Plymouth to Roscoff is the nicest and least stressful route. If you take a daytime crossing you can either stay overnight on the quayside or book into the municipal campsite nearby. We've done both. The roads down the western side of Brittany are quiet, easy and free.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hiya neil, we stayed in concarneau last year and did dover-calais it was our first time i would not recommend the drive if it is your first time we got off ferry at 7pm and my husband is a long distance lorry driver and we parked up around 1am near caen on a services and did the rest of the drive the following morning however we came back on a 11.30 ferry and did the drive it took us 12hrs it was horrendous and we only stopped twice for short breaks we only just made the ferry. we have booked plymouth roscoff this year and to be honest booked with caravan club last year and this year with select sites and the difference is not that much greater and a lot less mileage select sites were brilliant too book with i would definately recommend good luck with what ever you decide

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts