Radio / CD Fit

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi

i was interested in the recent article which detailed fitting the Blaupunkt London and intend to fit to my van. Does anyone know where to get the wooden nacelle the radio fits in? i have an Abbey County Oxford, the wooden nacelle pictured in the article looks about right. Also what speakers is it best to use and where is it best to situate them? i was thinking of the front corners - i assume there are special speakers designed in shape and sound for caravans? if so where would i get them?

i should appreciate any advice

thanks

Howard

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I have fitted one to my van. I built a wooden box to hold the head unit and put in a locker. I took the 12 volt feed from the main loom that ran up the side of the wardrobe next to the locker. I then fead the speaker cables back down the loom and in to the bed boxes at the front, where the speakers are located. There is plenty of space behind them so they sound great. The other advantage of putting the radio in the locker is that people can't see it from outside, so it is less likely to get stolen. Hope this helps.

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I have fitted one to my van. I built a wooden box to hold the head unit and put in a locker. I took the 12 volt feed from the main loom that ran up the side of the wardrobe next to the locker. I then fead the speaker cables back down the loom and in to the bed boxes at the front, where the speakers are located. There is plenty of space behind them so they sound great. The other advantage of putting the radio in the locker is that people can't see it from outside, so it is less likely to get stolen. Hope this helps.
Hi John

thanks for the advice; good idea putting it in a locker - and particularly the theft aspect, i just liked the nacelle in the pictures. i assume you fitted your speakers in the front corners on the floor? i had thought of the front corners at the top??? Did you use special speakers or standard car - and if so how did you fit them please. i was thinking of taking a 12v feed from the aerial booster.

any help / comments i much apprecaited form anyone.

thanks again John

Howard

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Sorry should have replied!

Hi John

thanks for the advice; good idea putting it in a locker - and particularly the theft aspect, i just liked the nacelle in the pictures. i assume you fitted your speakers in the front corners on the floor? i had thought of the front corners at the top??? Did you use special speakers or standard car - and if so how did you fit them please. i was thinking of taking a 12v feed from the aerial booster.

any help / comments i much apprecaited from anyone.

thanks again John

Howard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Howard

You can use virtually any car CD/radio in a caravan, so look at Argos and Halfords for the best offers. Many come with remote controls and MP3 player sockets, which may also be useful.

Most car radios will come with a standard metal D housing. This is basically a thin metal frame that you push into the hole that you've cut. There are tabs that you then bend to hold it in place. The unit then simply slides into the frame and clips in place. The locking keys that you get with the unit are then used to release the unit if you need to remove it for any reason.

Fitting it in a cupboard is good for security but then again you can loose valuable cupboard space. Many units come with a removable faceplate anyway, and unless you want a top of the range really expensive unit, it's not really worth worrying about. Who's going to pinch a

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Howard,

I know you said you wanted a car system - and that's fine - but the issues with car speaker sound in the caravan are that:

1. If you fit the speakers pointing downwards then really you can only hear the sound directly below the speaker.

2. It's much better to fit the speakers pointing forwards - then the sound is better - but it's probably more difficult to find a location.

3. And car speakers are designed to work from a "sealed box" - the area behind the speaker needs to be sealed from the caravan - some lockers or dead space are great for this - but probably won't be in the right position.

So rather than just fit standard speakers for a car door - see if you can find "pod" type that can be turned and positioned for the best sound.

Or take a look at this write up - installing a JVC micro HiFi in a caravan - the speakers are in plastic pods that twist:

http://www.eriba-amiga.co.uk/project_microhifi.html
Robert

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi Robert

thanks for the advice, i was thinking along the same lines. my van has corners which have a harboard blanking plate from the front lockers, i had intended to try and fit speakers in there but after thinking it through i was thnking of pod speakers. i'll have a look at availability as you suggest. thanks for the article - interesting.

Regards

Howard

TRENDING THREADS