Rain drops keep falling on my head!

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
Is anyone bothered about the sound heavy rain makes on the roof of the van? One time we pitched up under a tree....man alive!! those rain drops are even louder there. I thought we had someone outside chucking 1/2" nuts and bolts on the roof! So......I been looking around for a answer. Seems to me that the issue is about inertia? Thought about sticking that plastic grass on the roof to absorb the rain drops inertia. Axminster might rot, so that's out. Anyone?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a roof mounted solar panel so I try to avoid pitching underneath trees.
I find the sound of rain pattering on the caravan roof at night when we're tucked up nice and warm in bed to be quite soothing, with the added bonus that any dust will be washed off my solar panel.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We also like the rain on the caravan roof, but when your under a tree, you sometimes think it raining when its not.
We had a lovely couple of weeks near Lake Annecy in France, when Thunder storms got trapped in the hills, at night, lots of thunder and lightining , but no rain at all. Unlike right now outside, thunder and lots of rain.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Also a fan of rain on the roof; but you may find ear plugs cheaper and easier than Axminster.
Mel

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
When we were in Italy a few years ago I was glad we had pitched under a large tree as all the vans around us had huge dents in the roofs after a big hailstorm. A lot of the permanently sited vans had corrugated tin shelters built over them to prevent this. I always tell shmbo that the sound of the rain on the roof is romantic although she thinks it's great because it drowns out my snoring ;-)

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site
We love the sound, it makes us feel safe and secure, especially having spent many years in a tent! Just so long as it stops by the morning!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
There is a site and probably many but this one's in particular at Leyburn in Lower Wensleydale caravan club site if you pitch in the top part of the site under the trees you will get The Acorns dropping off the trees and 1 early morning whilst lying in bed we could hear them dropping from trees and you would think they were bricks hitting on top of the caravans luckily I was pitched in an open area with nothing above me ! :eek:hmy:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Seagulls on the roof make for good listening. The progressively faster one two thump thump as they start their take off run the the unison double THUMP as they launch, followed by a brief silence, then a scrabbling skid as they land again and then random walking about before the take off routine again.
Bread on the roofs of the two adjacent caravans can help :evil:
Mel

Feb 14, 2018
Visit site
I will not pitch under trees although I do not mind steady rain.Once pitched between trees and squirrels jumped from the tree to the next tree via my caravan,now that did make us jump. :angry:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts