rally ace air awning

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
just back from easter weekend in caravan we bought a new rally ace air plus a annex to give max floorspace on site it was windy, but this is england we had to take awning down as no good in windy conditions it does say in instructions not to use in snow or high winds but dealer selling awning did not tell us this what use is an awning that cant be used in our normal weather as we dont always have sunny windless weekends has anyone else experianced this with a air tube awning or tent

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. I Don't think you can expect any awning to stay up in exceptionally high winds, such as some places had over Easter. How windy was it where you were? Have to say our Air awning ( Kampa Rally) withstood very very high winds last year (100 mph gusts if the local press was to be believed). We did take it down,but only because the pegs were pulling out, not because the fabric or air tubes were in any danger, so I don't think the fact of yours being an air awning had much bearing.
Hope you have a better experience next time out.
Mel

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
set up as per instructions in the owners hand book been putting awnings and tents up for over 40 years so don't think I had put it up wrong,it looked ok till wind started then had to take down as tubes were bending inwards it looks as if more guides could be put on tubes to support them ,another caravan next to us had to take theres down too it was an air pro 280. hope this is what you wanted should have took pictures but thought more important to take it down

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
it did become a lot windier as the day went on but did not think it was too windy when we took it down we managed to fold it up without being blown about as we have had in Cornwall, we were in Nantwich Cheshire and the wind and rain got a lot worse as the day and night progressed .

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
The poles on ours do flex in a bit in really strong winds but don't flatten. You didn't leave an outlet valve open did you; because we have never done that. :whistle: :whistle: :blush: :blush:
Mel

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
no valves left open did try to put more air in to see if that would stiffen the tubes but no better nothing in the instructions as to how much air should be pumped in at the set up ie is there a blow off valve in pump for max inflation (this is the first time we have used awning might just have been unfortunate that it was very windy this weekend but it puts doubt in the mind about suitability)

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
The best thing you can do is to invest in an electric air pump and that will put the correct pressure in that you set it to, ideally 11 - 12 psi...... a hand pump will not get it anywhere near.
Also invest in some proper heavy duty pegs if you intend to put it up in very windy weather....
You want one of these at the bottom of each leg & the same on the guide straps oh! and the door as that will get a lot of end pressure from the wind ....
Had mine up through four storms last October / November and it's still ok yes it will flex and bounce about like hell but it wont fly off into the distance ..... the rubber ladders or the van will go first ;)

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
alunagolf said:
no valves left open did try to put more air in to see if that would stiffen the tubes but no better nothing in the instructions as to how much air should be pumped in at the set up ie is there a blow off valve in pump for max inflation (this is the first time we have used awning might just have been unfortunate that it was very windy this weekend but it puts doubt in the mind about suitability)

Taken from the Kampa web site
The AirFrame is incredibly durable and under normal conditions will not fail. Each AirPole is made of a strong TPU inflation tube that is zipped into a tough reinforced PE cover. This is then zipped into a heavy duty polyester sleeve in the awning. The inflation tubes are well protected and need no maintenance. Ideal operating pressure is between 8 and 12 psi and the poles are tested to 22 psi, a pressure that is not possible to reach using either the supplied pump or the optional electric pump. Should one of the AirPoles be damaged, each AirPole can be isolated from neighbouring poles using the isolation valves. A simple repair to the AirPole or replacement can then be made. Damage to a single AirPole may not make the awning unusable.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Alun
I hope you read the Link referred to by Sir WC.
My Kampa Rallye Air 330 has just endured a week of Katie and the Snow Queen.
I noticed last Thursday the leg that bent has now developed a hernia, a lump / bulge on the exterior.
I spoke to Neil at Kampa who without hesitation promised to send me a replacement air leg foc direct to our current site in Shropshire. Hopefully it will arrive today and fitting should be easy.
I fully agree with King Sproket regarding the instructions pressures etc. There a number of videos on you tube showing erecting details if that helps.
Just use strong long pegs and like me you shouldn't see it blow away.
Again Excellent after sales service from Kampa B) :cheer:

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Sproket said:
proper heavy duty pegs if you intend to put it up in very windy weather....

Why do all tents and awnings come with rubbish pegs? I have had a my own set of rock pegs for years now and they have held up several tents and now awnings. The ones supplied never seem to be up to much. I suppose if they supply aluminium pegs it keeps the overall weight down but it is no good if you are new to the game and out on your first trip and find that flimsy aluminum pegs won't even scratch a gravel hardstanding.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We have the Kampa Rally pro 290 and have had it up now in some horrendous winds. Never needed to take it down, the poles do flex inwards, but as it says in the handbook, this is expected. They arent like steel or aluminium poles that will break.

Indeed, one of Kampas own videos on youtube suggests that it is designed to take high winds and flex.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts