Ramblings of an eccentric caravanner

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Have just returned from a very long weekend at Cand CC site at Drayton Manor. Friends were rallying on the top field and so we joined them for a party in the DM conference facility. An excellent evening, one course hot dinner, professional entertainer and a disco all for £8.50 each. (A good night but pricey drinks at the bar.) The site was lovely, well done the managers. Not one weed in the hard standing and even the edges trimmed. Nice welcome too. You can hear the screams from folks on the big one but surprisingly very few children on site and then well behaved. Good dog walks too. Monday saw storm Ophelia arrive and how interesting that was. The wind was no worse than earlier in the year but surprisingly two units arrived and erected awnings- in that wind. I was further surprised when one of the caravaners took out a full size ironing board and started ironing in the awning. Do others do the ironing on holiday? Next to us was a new twin axle. No water supply and no waste master. How did they manage? We visited a couple of places from here. The national memorial arboretum is about 12 miles away and always something new. Free entry and only £3 to park. We visited the recently built world war 1 trenches- excellent. Heart of the country shopping village is on the A38 at Swinfen and has a number of individual shops cafes etc. The newly opened Lichfield tea company was interesting and the cake delicious. On site gripes- speeding cars, electric cables in a coil, cars parked on junctions making towing difficult. Still a very nice stay.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The ironing board that came with our caravan is in our loft. I wouldn’t even bring it back down to put in the van if we were to sell it. We do have our pride to uphold.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
"The ironing board that came with our caravan" -- In 40 years caravanning and something like 9 or 10 new vans never heard or seen an ironing board as an add on or accessory, are you jesting otherclive?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Even on a holiday lasting over three weeks we do no ironing or washing for that matter. W3e have enough room on board and more for our clothes. Only blip one year was a trip to M&S for some underwear when we were short.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We once took an ironing board for our first time to France unsure what to expect but the ironing board that we took was only a MINI one and you will be lucky if you got a sleeve of a shirt on it ! Hense it doesn't get took anymore !
we don't do ironing and we take enough for when we are away and then it gets bagged unless away for a few weeks and then we use on site facilities for the Smalls ! :sick: :p

Craig

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can't comment on ironing boards but my OH has carried one of those rectangular frames you do tapestry things on for thousands of miles over the year and so far produced only one small sized cushion cover. i thing the design is called Strawberry Thieves and shows some sort of thrush type birds. Not sure what name we could give to a category of odd and largely useless things taken on caravan trips but I guess there will be other. Ladies, please do not include husbands in this category.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craig, for your next trip I can seĺl you our Twin tub washing machine, cost Elaine £60 on E bay and about 40 pounds to pickit up in fuel. Works fantastic, weighs about 8 kilos, for the 6 week trip in France. Only used it on two trips, but in the winter time took two days to dry and thaw out the clothes.
Another learning curve.
Every one look at E bay , caravan washing machine,.
PLEASE.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would offer the darn pressure cooker. For years when heading off to France out came the Prestige Hitop when the Car was absolutely toppers. I could accept that, but it never got used. It’s successor the Tower digital is marginally smaller and its main use seems to be for pasta with its lid off! Gave up on this one years ago.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anotheclive, are you saying that you were towing maybe an over weight and light on the "Dreaded" nose weight. Caravan. :angry: . We love our 3 litre electric pressure cooker. Only weighs 1kg. Less than 4 cans of beer , as the wife pointed out. :(

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Anotheclive, are you saying that you were towing maybe an over weight and light on the "Dreaded" nose weight. Caravan. :angry: . We love our 3 litre electric pressure cooker. Only weighs 1kg. Less than 4 cans of beer , as the wife pointed out. :(

I’m sure I’d love our pressure cooker if it was ever used as intended. Braised lambs hearts are just a distant memory.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ironing board in a van. er yup sorry to say we did have one for years. and the pressure cooker. and just about every other appliance that wouldn't be found while on site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts