Re-chargeable drill / steadies

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
G

Drill Case, Drill, Batteries and Charger.

No wonder some people have touble making weight limits.

The wife and I share the winding duties, and a winde is far more eco friendly

G

We're on route to Travemunde ferry, we left Draguignan on Tuesday. We've managed the steadies by hand with no worries each evening and morning ;)

We had a great time in Adelaide with our exstended family after our short Xmas break in Dubai and a quick trip to UK. We also had breaks in Shanghai, Hong Kong and KL mid route.

We have four family caravans meeting in Sweden and Swedish German and French Friends with their caravans and not one battery drill between us,then we are heading to Finland and hope to get see some 'Northern Lights' activity.

But thank's for the advice Le Croc :)

Austria and Italy is the next part of the trip and we hope to cross with the caravans to Greece in mid June.

Memo to self - 'Must get a life'

But there is more to life than worrying about which battery's last the longest!

G

Re-chargeable drill / steadies, thread title, there's always somone butting in telling you to use the brace though ( oh! good idea...never thought of that).

Sounds like a nice trip BTW.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Each to their own, some use drills, some don't it doesn't matter in the great scheme of things and it's not worth arguing about.

I bought a re charegable drill for my corner steadies but I forget it or don't charge it so I don't bother now.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Deary me, whatever is wrong with using the old winding-handle? If you haven't got enough wind (pun pun pun) to use that, then it makes you wonder if you should be caravanning.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Some of us as had to work in inclement weather, snow, hail, wind and rain at 2 in morning for 30 years.

Some of us ended up with aches and pains in our joints, l for one are glad for progress, give me drill every time if it makes it easier.

l guess some of you have had nice office job and don't need the assistant of a drill, hope you never will but for them that do don't think it's any easy option it may well be it's because it make's it easey for them.

NigelH

Jun 26, 2005
Visit site
if some people think its lazy or not eco friendly to use a drill for corner steadies what does that make me and the other people that have the Caralevel system ,we only have to turn a key on .

Baza

G

Let's put this in to perspective. A Battery drill is not an essential for caravannning. I've been camping and caravanning for nigh on 50 years and have managed fine in all weathers putting pegs in and taking them out and winding caravan steadies by hand.

My hand tools have never let us down once and I've yet to ever run out of power, when I do a pine box will replace the caravan.

If dissability or a medical condition requires some help then fine. But its easy to get new and in-experienced caravanners confused as to what is really needed to enjoy the great out doors and what can be the 'simple' pleasure of caravanning.

Whilst I can get down and spend a couple of minutes winding four steadies I'm not giving in to yet another whymisical reliability prone fashion accessory to clutter the van or car.

AND I've yet to work out why "keep fit" cycling, swimming, golfing and walking caravanners scoot about with power tools.

Am I missing something?

My tow car choice may get me places other cars wiil not but a few moments winding steadies between us has neve been and issue wherever we are and what ever the weather.

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
I agree. What is wrong with the good old fashioned winder handle? absolutely nothing!. We have just returned from our easter break and both myself and the mrs observed many caravanners using a power drill to wind down the steadies. I personally think this is either lazy, or a bigheaded "look at Me and my super-duper 24v 3 speed semi-automatic steady winder-downer drill".

I agree that if someone is disabled then it may be an invaluable item, but unfortunately, most of the time I think it's a case of one-upmanship. who has the biggest drill, awning, cadac, or whatever it may be.

We noticed one caravan this weekend that had no less than 3 aquaroll's why? the tap was only about 20 yards away and before anyone gives a logical explanation he only had one waste master so with that only holding 38ltr's he would have surely had to empty that anyway?

Rant over...

Andrew MacIntosh

W.B.A.S.A.A.S. (Winding Brace & Single Aquaroll Appreciation Society)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts