Re-mapping a car

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most cars will suffer increased damage in a rear end shunt if a towbar is fitted - the towbar takes the impact and transmits it directly to the structure - in standard form the crushability of the rear bumper absorbs some of the impact.
Interesting thought. When the VW had its tow bar fitted a massive steel cross member was removed and replaced with a VW approved Westfalia towbar. The only difference between the two was the reinforced anchorage points for the towing equipment. . The bumper is a composite and I suspect offers little or no help in a rear ender.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think Buckman is right in that any extra damage is recovered from the other party so ant added repair costs very rarely make any difference to the car insurers. Reversing accidents are generally very minor and I doubt cause additional damage. The bumper will normally suffer but very little else. The tow bar will often not take the impact, so it will make no difference.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most insurance policies today specifically cover towing and mention in the wording caravans . The corollary is they already know a tow bar is fitted.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
It was quite satisfying when in idiot driver (phone in hand) drove in to the back of our old Freelander 2. When I say drove, I men impaled. Coolant everywhere from the towbar going through his rad. I did have to polish out a scuff on our bumper and his insurance had to pay for a new Land-Rover detachable tow bar (just to be safe :) )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts