Readying a Bessacarr for Winter

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
I have a Bessacarr Cameo 550 gl - 1988 which I bought the beginning of the season. I now want to ready it for winter, however don't possess a manual for it, I've looked under the caravan and cannot find the plugs/screws for emptying the water - does anyone know where to look/how to do this. Additionally is it necessary to empty the central heating system or will it contain antifreeze? Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's a Bessacarr so winter preparation is simple, it requires sitting in your cosy centrally heated home planning where you are going at the weekend. Come the weekend you can sit in your cosy centrally heated Bessacarr and enjoy it.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
yep will be away this weekend for the last time enjoying the central heating and teh lovely shower. Would love to use it all winter season, but have a baby due any day so doubt it will be possible, want to keep it in tip top condition for many family trips in spring!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Michael,

We had a 1997 Bessacarr Cameo with the Alde central heating. We definately did not drain the system, as you say it contains anti-freeze.

The drain plug for the water was on the exterior near the front, at chassis level. If you find a red plug it should be the one. Saying that - your van is a bit older - so I am assuming it's the same.

Hope this is of some use.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Like Wendy we have a 98 Cameo. You may find the drain near the boiler. If you have the tall system fitted, I believe the drain valve is on the rear of the boiler. A bleed screw should be opened at the top of the boiler to allow air in to assist drainage. Also open all taps at the same time

Do not drain the central heating system, unless you are replacing the fluid, as you have to go through the process of bleeding air from the whole system. The anti freeze is exactly the same as that used in car petrol engines being a 40%-50% max glycol/water mixture

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your help, I've emptied the cold water by finding and pulling a plug inside the onboard water tank, The heating i will leave alone. However the hot water is just a mystery, i can't see any other drains under the caravan nor any mechnaism for emptying it, so all i've done is turn on all the taps and run the pump till empty. I've emailed Swift Caravans, but they have not replied. Anyone who can help, or who wants to sell me a copy of a manual for this caravan - Bessacarr 1988 Cameo GL(I'm happy to pay a few pounds and don't mind if it's photocopied) would be much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts