'Real' 4x4's

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Indeed ProfJohn, thanks, yes the list is just to give you ideas of which makes/models MIGHT fit the bill, you then need to go and research the particular model. You will usually find the diesel engines models are the ones with the higher towing capacity and often the larger engines are higher.

My GLE250d for instance has a 2900kg capacity (2.2 diesel), but the GLE350d (3.0 V6 diesel) can tow 3500kg.

Worth googling for reviews and issues for a particluar model as well, the ML250d had a 3500kg capacity, but had issues with engine and 7G tronic gearbox overheating when an aftermarket towbar was used. The reason being the Mercedes OEM towing kit came with additional cooling, if you fitted an aftermarket towbar you didn't have it. The GLE250d Mercedes switched to the new 9G tronic gearbox with a liquid based torque convertor, and reduced towing limit to 2900 to reduce stress on the 2.2 litre engine for those that didn't have additional cooling.

So even manufacturers don't always get their towing limits right.

Towing a caravan, I don't think it would ever have been an issue, but if you want a car to haul a 3500kg plant trailer up long hills on a motorway, google it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
:)
colinbal4 said:
Indeed ProfJohn, thanks, yes the list is just to give you ideas of which makes/models MIGHT fit the bill, you then need to go and research the particular model. You will usually find the diesel engines models are the ones with the higher towing capacity and often the larger engines are higher.

My GLE250d for instance has a 2900kg capacity (2.2 diesel), but the GLE350d (3.0 V6 diesel) can tow 3500kg.

Worth googling for reviews and issues for a particluar model as well, the ML250d had a 3500kg capacity, but had issues with engine and 7G tronic gearbox overheating when an aftermarket towbar was used. The reason being the Mercedes OEM towing kit came with additional cooling, if you fitted an aftermarket towbar you didn't have it. The GLE250d Mercedes switched to the new 9G tronic gearbox with a liquid based torque convertor, and reduced towing limit to 2900 to reduce stress on the 2.2 litre engine for those that didn't have additional cooling.

So even manufacturers don't always get their towing limits right.

Towing a caravan, I don't think it would ever have been an issue, but if you want a car to haul a 3500kg plant trailer up long hills on a motorway, google it.

Some years back BMW 5 series had a similar problem with the requirement fir additional cooling if a towbar were fitted. Like MB aftermarket towbars obviously did not provide the extra cooling which was a factory fit or very very expensive dealer after market fit Although there have been posts in this forum from BMW owners who didn’t have that extra cooling and towed their vans over the Alps without any issues.

Now this couple who we met in Santander port had had engine temperature control problems when touring the Picos de Europa and in Somiedo national park. Their dog travelled in the footwell with a side louvre opened for ventilation. Our Forester sans caravan experienced no such problems.

Santander-departure-June-2015.jpg

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
I had a Touareg and it was a brilliant tow car. Towed with it down to southern France and back. The V6 Diesel engine is awesome and the car is very stable towing.

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
Just for the record, I got the trailer weighed and it's 2000kg! My poor CRV was MAXXED out. 

I really don't want to destroy it, so changing vehicle has become more of a reality. 

I like muscular Nissan Pathfinders, but the well documented chassis issues terrify me. As do any pick-up 4x4's mpg. So I am back to thinking about something like a Touareg/Rexton/Sorento. 

Any buying tips welcome, and which would pull my beastly trailer best!

Thanks friends.

FD

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on your budget for purchase and running costs. The Touareg would probably be best but pricey. Rextons have a good reputation for reliability and whilst old school 4x4 they are tough. Generation 1 Sorentos have a top reputation and there are still some one/ two owners cars out there with reasonable mileage. If it were me I’d go Sorento but I’m biased as we had one for five years and it was a top tow car, nice solo and darn good greenlaning. Make sure Kia have replaced the rear axle supports which started to corrode.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A friend, who is OTT for needing Max power bought a Toureag, 3 litre V6. Fantastic, but thirsty. Strange gearbox, not sure if it's a hydraulic Torque converter or a Dual clutch thing. But lots of power. A very nice tow car if you can afford one. .

A good set of All terrain tyres on a 2 wheel drive car will normally get you out of damp grass or slightly muddy field though.

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
otherclive said:
Although there have been posts in this forum from BMW owners who didn’t have that extra cooling and towed their vans over the Alps without any issues

I doubt there would have been any issues with the ML250 towing a caravan, and on the GLE the limit was only dropped from 3500 to 2900, so way more than needed for a caravan. I suspect the overheating issues were only with people towing 3500kg plant trailers up long inclines.

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
A friend who has towed at all levels stopped me for a chat on Saturday and heard me out. He said to consider a VW Transporter with the heavier engine, 2.4L/TDi to get the required horse power to handle a 2tonne braked trailer, AND to handle family run arounds about town.

At the risk of flogging this subject to death, has anyone any comments on this direction?

THANKS guys. I really appreciate the wisdom and help on here.

~FD

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
fooddestroyer said:
A friend who has towed at all levels stopped me for a chat on Saturday and heard me out. He said to consider a VW Transporter with the heavier engine, 2.4L/TDi to get the required horse power to handle a 2tonne braked trailer, AND to handle family run arounds about town.

At the risk of flogging this subject to death, has anyone any comments on this direction?

THANKS guys. I really appreciate the wisdom and help on here.

~FD

There’s no doubt that you see commercial vans towing large caravans so it’s quite practical. But again you should seek out the Transporters specific technical details. EG Kerbweight, makers towing limit etc. But remember the makers towing limit is specified for the vehicle being able to restart on a defined slope a specified number of times. My Disco 2 and Sorento had around 3500 kg towing limit but when testing them out on a local farm/fete I had to start in low ratio, and there’s no way that I would have been going far on the public roads, despite being legal. And I wasn’t at 3500 kg load either.

The larger Transporter engine shouldn’t have a problem with a 2000 kg towed load. Even the two cars I had (above) only had 138 bhp and oodles of torque but 2000 kg wouldn’t have caused them a problem with ability to tow a large trailer and not obstructing following traffic etc

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
See my posting in this same category under Manual v Auto.
I am convinced auto makes for a much more relaxed towing experience, particularly with the older turbo diesels which suffered big turbo lag.
Merc ML 270s were fine apart from potenial gearbox problems, which tended to appear around 80 - 90,000 miles perhaps due to the fact they were 'sealed for life' and thus did not get a regular oil change. If you could find one that has had regular oil changes or a new gearbox then it might be worth a look. I can't imagine this risk keeps the second hand prices particularly high.
The Freelander 2 would also fit the bill. This (at least mine) has Ford engine and transmission which should be capable of maintenance pretty universally; the car is compact for car parks unlike some larger 4x4 and pickups, and hasvarious transmission settings and a 'Sports' mode gearbox which can be quite useful in poor traction conditions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RayS said:
See my posting in this same category under Manual v Auto.
I am convinced auto makes for a much more relaxed towing experience, particularly with the older turbo diesels which suffered big turbo lag.
Merc ML 270s were fine apart from potenial gearbox problems, which tended to appear around 80 - 90,000 miles perhaps due to the fact they were 'sealed for life' and thus did not get a regular oil change. If you could find one that has had regular oil changes or a new gearbox then it might be worth a look. I can't imagine this risk keeps the second hand prices particularly high.
The Freelander 2 would also fit the bill. This (at least mine) has Ford engine and transmission which should be capable of maintenance pretty universally; the car is compact for car parks unlike some larger 4x4 and pickups, and hasvarious transmission settings and a 'Sports' mode gearbox which can be quite useful in poor traction conditions.

Doesn’t FL2 have selectable traction for different conditions such as snow/ice, mud, rock etc independent of Sports mode. The model I drove at Land Rover Experience did and my sons HSE does. I agree that Fords input to Freelander made the FL2 an excellent car, streets ahead of FL1.

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
I found the most cost effective 4x4 at the cheap end of the market is a terrano 2.7 diesel (this includes offsetting the cheap purchase price against tax and consumption). I live on a 5:1 hill at 1000ft ASL in Derbyshire and need a 4x4 in winter as my commute to work is over the Cat and Fiddle.
These are old but you can still find the odd very well kept example often from an elderly caravanner...and there is a great online presence of owners groups that will point you to all the issues that are easy fixes.
These are old though, don't pay over £2000 even for the best low mileage one.

I want something newer soon and I'm considering a pathfinder as a replacement for my current terrano.

Terracan and Rexton are other possibilities.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
I am new to towing, but our Jeep GC tows like a dream, no movement of caravan when in tow at a steady 55mph, & returns between 26 & 29 mpg when towing, thats not too bad in my books.
On a solo run as long as you dont boot it, it returns 37-40 mpg.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
GrizzlyBathplug said:
I am new to towing, but our Jeep GC tows like a dream, no movement of caravan when in tow at a steady 55mph, & returns between 26 & 29 mpg when towing, thats not too bad in my books.
On a solo run as long as you dont boot it, it returns 37-40 mpg.

That's good fuel economy for towing Grizzly, very nice indeed.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
JUst dont drive heavy footed Anseo.
Tickle the throttle & you get there eventually, much tio the discust of the boy racers, been there done that, now i have to pay for the fuel.
Boot it & it drinks fuel faster than a jumbo, nice & steady does it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our Hyundai, Sante Fe has proved to be a good tow car normally about 26 to 29 mpg. The 4X4 Worked well on hilly gravel roads in Switzerland. Arrived at a Bergasthaus Lusis, ( https://www.luesis.ch/de/ ) 4 adults and three dogs, how did you get here? We drove up. They normally send a 6 wheel drive unimog type truck 5 miles down to pick up customers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts