Rear light cluster fitting problems

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why oh why aren't simple things so simple!!??

This evening I went out to change a rear road light bulb on offside of my Avondale Landranger. Simple job I thought although I had not done it before.

Four bolts hold on combined "wrap" rear light cluster. First bolt came out fine. Next ones made strange grinding sound and spun round but did not screw out. After trying for several minutes without success I unscrewed nearside lamp cluster to see if could identify the problem. That fortunately came off okay. The clusters are held on by 4 bolts which screw into cylindrical "nuts" set in the fibregrlass body work of the rear panel.

The threads on the nuts on the offside are either stripped or siezed with rust. With a lot of effort I have loosened another bolt so that I can see that that is the problem. I have loosened the 3 stuck bolt sufficiently to be able to hacksaw off the heads. remove light cluster and then drill out the remains of the bolts as necessary.

That's a pain but an even bigger problem is how do I then refix the light cluster, ie, what can I screw the bolts into.

HELP folks, anyone out there got any suggestions.

There is not, by the way any access to the panel behind the fitting so I cannot bolt right through the rear panel and put a nut on the back of it.

All sensible suggestions gladly received.

Regards

Tim

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim

Cant see your van from here but the fixings you describe sound like riv-nuts. You put them in with a special rivet gun like a pop-riveter. Any engineering shop may have one. We always used them in motorsport so if there is a motorsport type workshop near you they may help or I guess you could buy a kit,may not be cheap though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tim, it is a little difficult to suggest as I am not familair with the light fitting. Would it be possible to cut some ally squares oversize of the holes and fit these to the fibre glass using countersunk self tappers? You could then replace the bolts with self tappers and drill the ally to take them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can get small rubber Rawlbolts from DIY or caravan stores to replace them.

You could even get away with ordinary plastic Rawlpugs and self tapping screws as a temporary/permanent repair.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the advice lads

It seesm that the nuts were probably riv--nuts. They were actually a hollow structure and so they came out easily with a tug of the pliers. The nuts were so siezed they looked as though they had been welded

I had a look at B&Q and found some large nylon fixing designed for platerboard walls. These consist of large nylon screws which take a plated self-tapping screw. With a bit of adjustment to the nylon screws I got them to screw into the caravan bodywork. They fitting now seems secure and at least the nylon part cannot rust.

The 'van is now roadworthy again.

Thanks again for your advice.

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts