rear panel crack, coachman.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
20160812_134241_zpsr5ysctgy.jpg

Hi has anyone had an ABS panels welded, my van is still under warranty , but Think a weelding job would be better than a rear panel, waiting to hear what Coachman say.
Thanks
Hutch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch.
I'd establish why it cracked in the first place .One of our earlier Baileys had a fullreplacement because the original had been iincorrectly , carelessly, stressed during assembly.
ABS welding in he right hands gives excellent results. Have a look at motorcycle fairings as as an example.
Hope you get it sorted. See you at Pickalot.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
This appears to be cracking caused by panel stress. this was /is a longstanding problem on abs paneled vans of all manufacturers. The cause was traced to the fact that these panels were (originally) supplied with out pre drilled holes for the fixing screws . when fitted to the vans undersized holes were drilled in the panels ,or in some instances the screws were simply driven though the panel with no pilot hole .This cause stress in the panels due to flex when traveling,& this stress caused the cracking.
I hoped that this problem had been long overcome ,but it seems it may still be with us.
So if your panel is showing signs of stress cracking & is still under warranty I would suggest that the panel is replaced PROPERLY as in my opinion welding the one crack could only be a temporary fix as it is possible that if one crack has appeared then possibly the rest of the fixing screws were improperly drilled with correct clearance holes in the plastic panel ,& if more cracks appear AFTER the warranty period expires ,it will cost a lot of money to replace the panel at your own expense .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, all for your replies, I think its a badly trimmed panel, on coming back from Pickalot might go into Coachman in Hull and see what they say, Thanks Damian, think I will push for that, as we really like this van, oh yes front stepping board, on the A frame has cracked as well.. probably screws straight into panel without pilot holes.
Ho hum. ☺

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts