Rear view Camera

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
I recently purchased a Autovox Solar Powered reversing camera kit from the big river, and as yet have not fitted it. This model hooks over/sticks on the number plate, then you screw number plate back on. Thats alright on a vehicle to screw plate on , but i dont want to go and drill holes in the back of my van. Question is what is a good adhesive to attach number plate with camera attached, to the rear of the caravan. Many thanks. Should have added this camera is wireless and solar powered so no wiring to wire up.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I recently purchased a Autovox Solar Powered reversing camera kit from the big river, and as yet have not fitted it. This model hooks over/sticks on the number plate, then you screw number plate back on. Thats alright on a vehicle to screw plate on , but i dont want to go and drill holes in the back of my van. Question is what is a good adhesive to attach number plate with camera attached, to the rear of the caravan. Many thanks. Should have added this camera is wireless and solar powered so no wiring to wire up.
Just use number plate sticky pads - they're hard enough to get off if you want to put a cherished number on !

• Haha
Reactions: Bluetonic

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've used the sticky pads and they work very well. In fact when I changed my car I stuck the new number plate on top of the old one and they're still there despite our bumpy, pot hole infested Highland roads😄

I'd be interested to hear your experience with the reversing camera. Every year I think about getting one but never get around to it. This is one I've not come across before.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I've used the sticky pads and they work very well. In fact when I changed my car I stuck the new number plate on top of the old one and they're still there despite our bumpy, pot hole infested Highland roads😄

I'd be interested to hear your experience with the reversing camera. Every year I think about getting one but never get around to it. This is one I've not come across before.
Same here, but want the monitor that clips over the mirror and they are not cheap!

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site

Can you recommend a decent brand of sticky pads? I have stuck camera on back of caravan with masking tape temporally to try out, and get a good view of whats behind me. It does not stay on permanently, longest is 120 secs, long enough to lane change etc.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Sadly we use a Satnav and TPMS when towing so no room for additional screen on windscreen. No idea where we could place a Smar
I use the smartphone not only for calls and music but also as a Satnav. TPMS for car is in built on the dash and I don't want one for the caravan.

But I understand what you mean and it's the reason I'm trying to do everything through the phone.... just one mount.

Reactions: Buckman
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I'd prefer one that links to my smartphone. They exist but reviews are mixed.
I've got one of these, which links to a smartphone and works well for me.

It's magnetic so I glued a metal plate to the back of the caravan - there's a small ledge just above the number plate which is horizontal-ish. At first I also had a safety lanyard attaching it to the two rear grab handles, in case the magnetism didn't hold, but I've got more confidence in it now and don't bother.

It's powered by a built in rechargeable battery so no need for wiring, I take it indoors to charge. I've never tested the battery life to exhaustion but it's still going after seven hours. I leave it on, as a rear view camera, not just for reversing. I know the legality of a permanently-on screen is questionable, but since it's showing me the exact same view I'd have from the rear view mirror if the caravan wasn't in the way, I'm happy.

I use an old smartphone for the screen, which is used for this and nothing else, and sticks to a magnetic mount which clips onto the air vent.

I use it for other things away from the caravan - when the tatty car is loaded to the roof for a tip run, I put the camera on top of the boot hatch as a rear view camera. It also works as an event camera - I do bits and pieces of tech stuff for an event management company, and I put the camera in the main event room so I can see what's going on from the crew room.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

It's magnetic so I glued a metal plate to the back of the caravan - there's a small ledge just above the number plate which is horizontal-ish. At first I also had a safety lanyard attaching it to the two rear grab handles, in case the magnetism didn't hold, but I've got more confidence in it now and don't bother.

It's powered by a built in rechargeable battery so no need for wiring, I take it indoors to charge. I've never tested the battery life to exhaustion but it's still going after seven hours. I leave it on, as a rear view camera, not just for reversing. I know the legality of a permanently-on screen is questionable, but since it's showing me the exact same view I'd have from the rear view mirror if the caravan wasn't in the way, I'm happy.

I use an old smartphone for the screen, which is used for this and nothing else, and sticks to a magnetic mount which clips onto the air vent.

I use it for other things away from the caravan - when the tatty car is loaded to the roof for a tip run, I put the camera on top of the boot hatch as a rear view camera. It also works as an event camera - I do bits and pieces of tech stuff for an event management company, and I put the camera in the main event room so I can see what's going on from the crew room.
I had one of those 10 or more years ago and struggled with connection. I think the unit is good, But at that time, let down by the apps. I think I paid about the price it is now.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It is worth noting there is a difference between a reversing camera, large viewing angle and guide lines. And a rearview camera, a narrower angle and no guidelines.

They can be used for both tasks, but not ideal. Generic info here.

John

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site

I have exactly the same camera, purchased for about £70. I also use an old smartphone, but fix it over the rear view mirror itself. For mounting the camera, I thought long and hard about sticking on a metal plate or a proper mount. In the end for my first trip I just magnetically mounted to the end of the Al-KO chassis, that worked so well that I have never bothered with anything different. I gave up testing battery life at 9 hours as I would never drive longer than that in a day anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts